• Announcements

    • iacas

      Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

      Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nevets88

Golf Channel oh no you didn't!

15 posts in this topic

You did. Used the anniversary of MLK's I have a dream speech to tweet a request for golf dreams. http://m.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2013/08/golf-channel-cynicaly-co-opts-mlk-speech-social-media-screwup/68824/
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Is "social media manager" even a real job?  If it is there's a good chance the "job" was compromised today.  Hehe.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's Twitter? I've never heard of it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:facepalm:  The marketing tool who did that obviously slept through their history classes.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I must be racist because I don't get why it's a big deal.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I must be racist because I don't get why it's a big deal.

Same. It isn't a big deal.

More people looking for a reason to get offended.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I must be racist because I don't get why it's a big deal.

To change my racist ways, I think I will declare MLK day a holiday next year at our company.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I didn't say it's racist. It's practically a false equivalence. Having dreams of no separate water fountains/bathrooms or being able to eat anywhere you want is nothing close to lowering your handicap, playing Augusta, winning the club championship, etc. Kudos to those who wrote ending club membership discrimination based on sex, race, etc but I'm guessing that's not a majority of what was written in the now unavailable golf dream page. And drumming up page hits and thus ad revenue using a traditionally solemn holiday is crass.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Huh? So what?!
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by nevets88

I didn't say it's racist.

It's practically a false equivalence. Having dreams of no separate water fountains/bathrooms or being able to eat anywhere you want is nothing close to lowering your handicap, playing Augusta, winning the club championship, etc. Kudos to those who wrote ending club membership discrimination based on sex, race, etc but I'm guessing that's not a majority of what was written in the now unavailable golf dream page.

And drumming up page hits and thus ad revenue using a traditionally solemn holiday is crass.

I know you didn't, I wasn't even implying that you did.

I guess I'm saying that it's really easy to say they shouldn't do that, but what is it hurting?  Awareness is good, right?  Just because they are doing a play on words doesn't mean that they, or anybody, for that matter is actually going to equate their golf dream with the civil rights movement.

Most of the stuff you read online and in the papers when Martin Luther King Day rolls around (or for that matter, Presidents Day, Columbus Day, Memorial Day, etc) are ads for Macy's and Sit-N-Sleep and Sears anyway.  I don't recall anybody getting bent out of shape (nor should they) because these stores are crass enough to equate my dreams of a luxurious new pair of shoes, a mattress, or a washer and dryer, to MLK's dreams of integration.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's a little weird, certainly not racist. I had about the same reaction when I saw someone I follow on Twitter RT Hardee's hashtagging #ihaveadream. Just seems weird to me. I'm sure there's a study somewhere showing that people react differently than I do, otherwise big companies like that wouldn't tweet about the 9/11 anniversary and the like. I mean, these social media majors have to be learning something, right?
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ad Age or one of the major ad industry magazines usually has a top ten list of most tacky MLK day ads. I think one of them superimposed King's head on a surfer's body. And if you look around the Internet, people do get upset over co-opting any non-commericial holiday for commercial purposes. What GC did isn't that much different. But The hashtag #dreamday was thought up of by I dunno who for expressing thoughts in the spirit of MLK's speech. That GC co-opted it makes this a little different.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't think it's that big of a deal, frankly.

A bit tacky, yeah, but meh. Whatever.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by nevets88

Ad Age or one of the major ad industry magazines usually has a top ten list of most tacky MLK day ads. I think one of them superimposed King's head on a surfer's body. And if you look around the Internet, people do get upset over co-opting any non-commericial holiday for commercial purposes. What GC did isn't that much different.

But The hashtag #dreamday was thought up of by I dunno who for expressing thoughts in the spirit of MLK's speech. That GC co-opted it makes this a little different.

Last I checked, the closest holiday is Labor Day. I know that many stores will have Labor Day Sales all weekend. Do the same people who object to using the word "Dream" also object to stores using the word "Labor" in their advertising?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a dream that someday ill shoot scratch

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0