IGNORED

Golf Channel oh no you didn't!

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3887 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You did. Used the anniversary of MLK's I have a dream speech to tweet a request for golf dreams. http://m.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2013/08/golf-channel-cynicaly-co-opts-mlk-speech-social-media-screwup/68824/

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What's Twitter? I've never heard of it.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I must be racist because I don't get why it's a big deal.

Same. It isn't a big deal.

More people looking for a reason to get offended.

• Upvote 1
Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I must be racist because I don't get why it's a big deal.

To change my racist ways, I think I will declare MLK day a holiday next year at our company.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

I didn't say it's racist. It's practically a false equivalence. Having dreams of no separate water fountains/bathrooms or being able to eat anywhere you want is nothing close to lowering your handicap, playing Augusta, winning the club championship, etc. Kudos to those who wrote ending club membership discrimination based on sex, race, etc but I'm guessing that's not a majority of what was written in the now unavailable golf dream page. And drumming up page hits and thus ad revenue using a traditionally solemn holiday is crass.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Huh? So what?!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by nevets88

I didn't say it's racist.

It's practically a false equivalence. Having dreams of no separate water fountains/bathrooms or being able to eat anywhere you want is nothing close to lowering your handicap, playing Augusta, winning the club championship, etc. Kudos to those who wrote ending club membership discrimination based on sex, race, etc but I'm guessing that's not a majority of what was written in the now unavailable golf dream page.

And drumming up page hits and thus ad revenue using a traditionally solemn holiday is crass.

I know you didn't, I wasn't even implying that you did.

I guess I'm saying that it's really easy to say they shouldn't do that, but what is it hurting?  Awareness is good, right?  Just because they are doing a play on words doesn't mean that they, or anybody, for that matter is actually going to equate their golf dream with the civil rights movement.

Most of the stuff you read online and in the papers when Martin Luther King Day rolls around (or for that matter, Presidents Day, Columbus Day, Memorial Day, etc) are ads for Macy's and Sit-N-Sleep and Sears anyway.  I don't recall anybody getting bent out of shape (nor should they) because these stores are crass enough to equate my dreams of a luxurious new pair of shoes, a mattress, or a washer and dryer, to MLK's dreams of integration.

It's a little weird, certainly not racist. I had about the same reaction when I saw someone I follow on Twitter RT Hardee's hashtagging #ihaveadream. Just seems weird to me. I'm sure there's a study somewhere showing that people react differently than I do, otherwise big companies like that wouldn't tweet about the 9/11 anniversary and the like. I mean, these social media majors have to be learning something, right?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Ad Age or one of the major ad industry magazines usually has a top ten list of most tacky MLK day ads. I think one of them superimposed King's head on a surfer's body. And if you look around the Internet, people do get upset over co-opting any non-commericial holiday for commercial purposes. What GC did isn't that much different. But The hashtag #dreamday was thought up of by I dunno who for expressing thoughts in the spirit of MLK's speech. That GC co-opted it makes this a little different.

Steve

• Administrator

I don't think it's that big of a deal, frankly.

A bit tacky, yeah, but meh. Whatever.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by nevets88

Ad Age or one of the major ad industry magazines usually has a top ten list of most tacky MLK day ads. I think one of them superimposed King's head on a surfer's body. And if you look around the Internet, people do get upset over co-opting any non-commericial holiday for commercial purposes. What GC did isn't that much different.

But The hashtag #dreamday was thought up of by I dunno who for expressing thoughts in the spirit of MLK's speech. That GC co-opted it makes this a little different.

Last I checked, the closest holiday is Labor Day. I know that many stores will have Labor Day Sales all weekend. Do the same people who object to using the word "Dream" also object to stores using the word "Labor" in their advertising?

Note: This thread is 3887 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!