IGNORED

My Swing (Abu3baid)

Abu3baid

Is that your instruction from an evolvr lesson? I've often wondered about letting your hands track in as well as back and up, it feels so much more 'loaded' and 'behind the ball' at the top but I have a hard time not allowing this to facilitate an inside takeaway and therefore the left arm dropping below the shoulder plane! Also the guidance on straight right arm is confusing in this scenario as they feel like contradictory moves/feels?? I think if you master all of that instruction this winter you will see real progress in your swing.

Yes it is. I am going to take it one issue at a time.. I'm just going to worry about the hand working with the pivot and hopefully then work on the downswing and feeling the shoulder closed at impact. will probably have these priorities for a while going forward!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Guys I need help with my priority piece.. I was able to get a good handle on the hands not moving so far out on the BS, but I continue to have trouble conceptualizing my downswing turn rates. My issue is that my hips move a lot faster than my hands move down on the DS. For the past couple of lessons I was told to feel as though my hands are coming down and to actually bring them down while my shoulders are still closed and then swinging out. My problem is that I have never seen anyone actually do this drill, and I'm not sure how to do it. Has anyone worked on the downswing arm rate compared with the hip turn before? How did it go for you? It feels so strange, as if I have been doing the golf swing wrong all along (which is probably the case). Is this how it was for you?

Eyad

Guys I need help with my priority piece.. I was able to get a good handle on the hands not moving so far out on the BS, but I continue to have trouble conceptualizing my downswing turn rates.

My issue is that my hips move a lot faster than my hands move down on the DS. For the past couple of lessons I was told to feel as though my hands are coming down and to actually bring them down while my shoulders are still closed and then swinging out. My problem is that I have never seen anyone actually do this drill, and I'm not sure how to do it.

Has anyone worked on the downswing arm rate compared with the hip turn before? How did it go for you? It feels so strange, as if I have been doing the golf swing wrong all along (which is probably the case). Is this how it was for you?I

I had the same issue.  What helped me was go to the top of your backswing, and than do nothing but try and get your right elbow to your belly button.  Than go back to the top and do it again.  Pretty much a pump drill.  Thats what has worked pretty well for me.   Good Luck

Hopefully I'm better tomorrow

I had the same issue.  What helped me was go to the top of your backswing, and than do nothing but try and get your right elbow to your belly button.  Than go back to the top and do it again.  Pretty much a pump drill.  Thats what has worked pretty well for me.   Good Luck

Thanks for the input I'll definietly try that feel, this is such a critical priority to get down and I know it might take a while.. I'll have to find something that works and then groove it.. It just feels so funny coming from the inside, as if I'm not generating any swing speed.. Ever feel that way?

Eyad

Thanks for the input I'll definietly try that feel, this is such a critical priority to get down and I know it might take a while.. I'll have to find something that works and then groove it..

It just feels so funny coming from the inside, as if I'm not generating any swing speed.. Ever feel that way?

I also struggle with hips leaving the hands behind.  Whenever I try to forcibly try to stall the hips and bring the hands down earlier, it definitely feels like I am not generating much speed.

Who knows, I am more than likely doing it wrong...???...

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I also struggle with hips leaving the hands behind.  Whenever I try to forcibly try to stall the hips and bring the hands down earlier, it definitely feels like I am not generating much speed.   Who knows, I am more than likely doing it wrong...???...

But at least you aren't coming over the top.. You probably struggle with push shots and hooks right? For me I'm struggling with pulls and push slices.. I have been working at it for the past couple hours on and off and it is feeling better, actually just going to the top of the BS and then just watching my hands drop down and then letting my body turn from there.. IT is going to take a while to get used to the feeling, but I don't have any real feel that I can communicate yet.. I'll keep working at it and the take it to the range during the week.. I have a match next weekend with my boss, friend and plant vp and I really hope I have something functional by then.. (Wishful thinking there)

Eyad

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

I also struggle with hips leaving the hands behind.  Whenever I try to forcibly try to stall the hips and bring the hands down earlier, it definitely feels like I am not generating much speed.

Who knows, I am more than likely doing it wrong...???...

But at least you aren't coming over the top.. You probably struggle with push shots and hooks right? For me I'm struggling with pulls and push slices..

I have been working at it for the past couple hours on and off and it is feeling better, actually just going to the top of the BS and then just watching my hands drop down and then letting my body turn from there.. IT is going to take a while to get used to the feeling, but I don't have any real feel that I can communicate yet..

I'll keep working at it and the take it to the range during the week.. I have a match next weekend with my boss, friend and plant vp and I really hope I have something functional by then.. (Wishful thinking there)

Yup..

My main miss is a high, weak, push.  Sometimes I will leave the face open even more, and it will fade a little as well.  Then I over compensate and hook it badly.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Feeling much better about how my practice is going at my house.. video of the motions looking pretty good and even when I speed up my swing I can see that I am getting a pretty good club position at A5 and A6. Obviously with a ball all hands are off, but at least I'm able to do it slowly because if you can't do it slowly you definitely can't do it fast.

Eyad

Practicing against the wall trying to map out how my hands go down before my shoulders open up, with the hopes that helps get my hand body sequence better or better yet speed up my hands on the downswing as compared with the shoulders. [VIDEO]http://youtu.be/uyktTcmVHXA[/VIDEO] Now with a club FO [VIDEO]http://youtu.be/rep4WYKnboY[/VIDEO] With a club DTL [VIDEO]http://youtu.be/daazL5W_MS0[/VIDEO]

Eyad

• 2 weeks later...

Was finally able to go to the range to record some real swings.  I worked on my drills for a while, then I recorded the following.

I can see that i am finally making some progress with laying the shaft down.. However, the down side is good contact is non-existent and I can't hit my driver past 170 yards or so.  I'm sure it'll come around, but I can feel that I am generating the same speed as I was before when I am swinging without a ball there.. Once I try and take a real swing, it's just different!!  "steady head on the driver FO is looking much better on the DS as well IMO)

PW - I'm finally hitting draws with my PW at least..  Other than all the shanks and miss hits because of my bad contact, non of my good shots had fade spin on them.. I did have a few slight pull draws, but the majority were push / push draws.. (again, instead of my normal distance of 125 - 135 yards I was hitting these about 100 - 110)

Eyad

You have a solid turn going back and whle a little laid off, you should be hitting the ball better. If you look closely in the first few frames down in your swing, you push your arms back behind you and that flattens the arm plane and shoulder plane considerably.  You then have to rotate them strongly over and that gives you a big over the top move.   But it's not the same over the top move many golfers fight.   You are so laid off in effect that you have to really come over it to even hit it later in the downswing.

I might think of bringing the left arm down almost vertically or to the back of the ball.   The plane will flatten (shaft of the club) relatvie to the arm and you might actually feel like the left arm is coming over the top.

I really looked at this one. It looks to me like you have the right idea on your driver swing, but what I think the problem is that you're a little too bent over at address. You look a little uncomfortable. The grip, as a general rule, should be pointing at your belt buckle. I think you'd find "the slot" more easily if you stood a little taller at address like Na Yeon Choi in this video:

Another thing I'm wondering about is if you're engaging your right arm at the start of the downswing. It doesn't have to be a lot, but it really can sap distance and throw off your timing just enough.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

You have a solid turn going back and whle a little laid off, you should be hitting the ball better. If you look closely in the first few frames down in your swing, you push your arms back behind you and that flattens the arm plane and shoulder plane considerably.  You then have to rotate them strongly over and that gives you a big over the top move.   But it's not the same over the top move many golfers fight.   You are so laid off in effect that you have to really come over it to even hit it later in the downswing.

I might think of bringing the left arm down almost vertically or to the back of the ball.   The plane will flatten (shaft of the club) relatvie to the arm and you might actually feel like the left arm is coming over the top.

I'm sorry, can you explain that a little more, I don't conceptually get it.  Thanks for looking though..

I really looked at this one. It looks to me like you have the right idea on your driver swing, but what I think the problem is that you're a little too bent over at address. You look a little uncomfortable. The grip, as a general rule, should be pointing at your belt buckle. I think you'd find "the slot" more easily if you stood a little taller at address like Na Yeon Choi in this video:

Another thing I'm wondering about is if you're engaging your right arm at the start of the downswing. It doesn't have to be a lot, but it really can sap distance and throw off your timing just enough.

Thank you for your feedback.. one of the main feels I am using to get the shaft to shallow out on the DS is pulling my left hand towards the ball, so you might be right with your assessment of not engaging my right arm as much as I was before in the DS.

I will have to wait and see what my coach says is my number one priority is.

Eyad

I'm sorry, can you explain that a little more, I don't conceptually get it.  Thanks for looking though..

He's saying you pull your arms behind you and start the downswing by turning the shoulders. You swing OTT because you can't hit the ball from that top position without coming in OTT. Then he said the fix is to bring your arms straight down from the top. The assessment is spot on.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

He's saying you pull your arms behind you and start the downswing by turning the shoulders. You swing OTT because you can't hit the ball from that top position without coming in OTT. Then he said the fix is to bring your arms straight down from the top. The assessment is spot on.

Thanks for the explanation.. I appreciate it.. Yeah, my priority has been to speed up my hands coming down compared with my shoulders opening up. Thanks guys

Eyad

Pictures tell 1000 words. FYI Na Yeon Choi averages 250 yds off the tee with 75% accuracy. She is said to have one of the best swings on either tour. A little selfish too, since I would like to use NYC for my own swing model when my knee gets healthy again. I'm not picking on you. I spent quite a bit of time putting these together today for you.

A4:

Here's one just after A4 where your hips get parallel to the target line at the start of your downswing. I'll call this A4.5. You've dropped down, and it appears like you're going to come from the inside out with a fairly flat plane, but something happens.

A5 here, your swing plane steepens. It looks like you engaged your right side too soon and this brought your right shoulder out too quickly. It's like pulling with a slack rope, and everything from here on is a compensation:

A6 - note how your club head is now outside:

A7 You had to bring the club head back in to compensate for throwing your right side too quickly at A4.5:

A9 - This tells the story. You had an outside-in path across the ball. Notice the difference in shaft positions in relation to the shoulders.

• Upvote 2

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

A5 here, your swing plane steepens: [URL=http://thesandrap.com/content/type/61/id/113668/] [/URL]

This perfectly illustrates exactly what @Abu3baid needs to and has been working on. His shoulders have rotated and his arms haven't come down enough. Notice how "not deep" his hands are. Nice comparison, Julia.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread