IGNORED

My Swing (Abu3baid)

Abu3baid

Played the best round of my life and it was only an 89 at my home course.  Just some notes on my progress and reflection on the score.

The biggest difference in my score between the hundreds I have been shooting and my 89 is the driver distance and direction.  Actually my first drive only went 66 yards, but I was able to turn things around and really hit it well.  Already uploaded my game golf, but let me take it one at a time.

1.  Was able to save bogy after my 66 yard drive, was able to get it on the green with PW from the fairway bunker, so only 1 stroke lost.

2.  Nice drive down the right side, 8i to the green and 2 putt for par.

3.  Nice drive up the middle, sliced the 8 past the green but was able to lob wedge it against the flag and tap in for par.  * I later realized that the ball position was to far forward with my irons and thus costing me strokes and bad hits.

4.  Pushed 7i and wasn't able to get it on the green from the desert (literally the desert) but was able to get on and in for bogy.

5.  Monster drive, but again miss hit with my 8i but able to get up and down.

6.  Hooked the 3h too much and had to punch out and then miss hit the iron and then got on and 2 putted for double.  (Dog left so the hook was the right play here)

7.  Fat 6i and then on and in with 2 putts for bogy.

8.  5i miss hit under a tree.. Cut the corner and went past the green into a bunker.. Can't see the ball in the bunker so I take an unplayable, drop and still can only get in with a stroke and then 2 putts another double.

9.  Driver is cooperating down the right side, a few shots and I'm ngir, but just wasn't able to capitalize and it's a bogy.

10.  Live and die by the driver.. Hit it OB.. Then still double bogied the hole.

11.  GIR and 3 putt.. Really?

12.  Next 3 holes just had some bad drives I don't know why.  Was able to get it in the first cut and then two putted from there.

13.  Bad drive again to the left and punched it out to a bunker and then got it out and finally next to the green and then 3 to get in for a double.

14.  Just monster drive but behind a tree lol.  Small punch out, on to the green and 2 putts for a disappointing bogy.

15.  The last of the bad drives, and then s punch out and was able to finally fix the ball position issue.  On to the green and 2 putt for par.

16.  Ngir, and then unable to get up and down for bogy.

17.  Nice drive up the right side, sitting in a bad patch and I hit it over the green behind a tree.  Putt it out, putt it on and then one putt for bogy.

18.  Another nice drive up the right side onto the fairway bunker.. Ngir from there and wasn't able to save a par.

3 things

1.  No birdies.. I really need to get a couple a round

2.  Probably need to work on short game.. Yeah, GIR is king.. But while I'm working on that why not be able to get up and down more?

3.  Don't miss hit the driver.. Ever... That alone cost me at least 6-7 strokes easily.

• Upvote 2

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Really happy for you @Abu3baid. Not a bit surprising - your swing looks really good. I think you'll be getting a lot of similar scores. The fact that you were able to get double bogey from a ball hit out of bounds is telling in a couple of ways.

Two things I see from your description... I agree with your assessment of needing more birdies. I don't have that type of game yet and until I do, bogey golf is as good as it will get (which I'd be thrilled to shoot, BTW). The bad shots will occur - almost nothing we can do about that. But if we are able to steal a couple of strokes back with the occasional birdie, it would make a difference. The second thing is that it looks like you were able to salvage some good scores on holes despite some errant shots. Saving par after an 89 yard drive, are you kidding! That's really tough to do in my opinion.

Nice work.

• Upvote 1

Jon

Really happy for you @Abu3baid. Not a bit surprising - your swing looks really good. I think you'll be getting a lot of similar scores. The fact that you were able to get double bogey from a ball hit out of bounds is telling in a couple of ways.

Two things I see from your description... I agree with your assessment of needing more birdies. I don't have that type of game yet and until I do, bogey golf is as good as it will get (which I'd be thrilled to shoot, BTW). The bad shots will occur - almost nothing we can do about that. But if we are able to steal a couple of strokes back with the occasional birdie, it would make a difference. The second thing is that it looks like you were able to salvage some good scores on holes despite some errant shots. Saving par after an 89 yard drive, are you kidding! That's really tough to do in my opinion.

Nice work.

thank you!  I really hope this could be a breakthrough where I continue with scores in this range and then improve some..

one of the biggest factors is the fact I was able to keep triples or higher off the card.  I had 4 doubles and the rest pars and bogies and that has never been the case before.. 

Eyad

I visited your game golf thread, Eyad. Do you play from 6756 yards? If so, that's a relatively long course for our level of skill. It looks like you get 250 yds from your driver, is that correct? I'm guessing you'd score much lower if playing from shorter tees. I'd have trouble breaking 100 from that distance. You're probably a better player than you think. Challenging yourself like that will ultimately serve you well, IMO.

I agree with you on keeping the blowup holes off the card. If I can keep those to one or less, I generally do well (duh!).

Jon

I visited your game golf thread, Eyad. Do you play from 6756 yards? If so, that's a relatively long course for our level of skill. It looks like you get 250 yds from your driver, is that correct? I'm guessing you'd score much lower if playing from shorter tees. I'd have trouble breaking 100 from that distance. You're probably a better player than you think. Challenging yourself like that will ultimately serve you well, IMO.

I agree with you on keeping the blowup holes off the card. If I can keep those to one or less, I generally do well (duh!).

yes, there are only 3 tees, championship, men's and women tees.... Playing the women's tees isn't really an option lol.. The course also plays fairways lined with trees and OB which makes hitting it down the middle even more important.. 

Today we played with no wind and I got one out there around 280+ with a few 260+ in there.. My typical distance today according to GG was 258..   Although all the shorter distances were mishits..  I'm assuming GG removed the 60 yard drive when calculating my typical drive.. Compare that with my typical 238 over the past 8 rounds..  There really is a strong correlation between driving distance and scoring..

I don't think it's an easy course, and it was a tournament set up today with fast greens which is probably why I putted much better than usual with the greens playing between 10-11 IMO.  Finally they have water again and the fairways are starting to be fairway again, although there are still patches that are just part of the game and dealing with adversity.. I'd say bad patches cost me at least 3-4 strokes!

Eyad

• 1 month later...

A lot of work to do.. Take away is awful, this was a heel hit.. But it's the only vid I took.

had a pretty good day driving though, combined with a very bad iron day and less than stellar short game.

any thoughts?

Eyad

2 hours ago, Abu3baid said:

A lot of work to do.. Take away is awful, this was a heel hit.. But it's the only vid I took.

had a pretty good day driving though, combined with a very bad iron day and less than stellar short game.

any thoughts?

There is a lot going on with your swing IMO.These photos comparing you and MVMAC at the 9 o'clock position tell a big part of it.

abaid3.JPG

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

2 hours ago, Abu3baid said:

any thoughts?

Ball position is too far back, but your swing looks pretty much the same as I remember seeing it. You're still sliding back instead of pivoting properly.

Keep an eye on your setup. It looks like you're hanging back on your right foot. Push your hips toward the target more, presetting SAT, and your hands forward as well.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Your club face is shut all the way through the swing to impact,this photo means a mechanical adjustment is needed IMO.I think as a result you are lifting rather than swinging the club head.

abaid5.JPG

Edited by collapse

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

54 minutes ago, collapse said:

There is a lot going on with your swing IMO.These photos comparing you and MVMAC at the 9 o'clock position tell a big part of it.

abaid3.JPG

Yes, this is one of my observations as well..  I'm not loading the club fast enough to start my swing, and it is probably causing me to over swings still.

36 minutes ago, billchao said:

Ball position is too far back, but your swing looks pretty much the same as I remember seeing it. You're still sliding back instead of pivoting properly.

Keep an eye on your setup. It looks like you're hanging back on your right foot. Push your hips toward the target more, presetting SAT, and your hands forward as well.

Ball position isn't an issue in my opinion, my friend was taping and he was most likely slightly to the right of me, so camera position here is making it look like it is too far back.  I put it pretty far up in my stance.

I will take a video next week with my stationary camera rather than the phone to get a better picture as well.

Ditto on the setup, thank you!

10 minutes ago, collapse said:

Your club face is shut all the way through the swing to impact,this photo means a mechanical adjustment is needed IMO.I think as a result you are lifting rather than swing the club head.

abaid5.JPG

I don't think this is an accurate assessment, my main problem is more of keeping my face open through impact more than anything.. My miss is a big push, and even on this swing what you see is the club face reaction to me hitting it off the heel as this is way after impact and not at impact..

im not sure what you mean by mechanical adjustment is needed, but of course I need some adjustment as I just shot 100+ today :)

Eyad

9 minutes ago, collapse said:

Your club face is shut all the way through the swing to impact,this photo means a mechanical adjustment is needed IMO.I think as a result you are lifting rather than swinging the club head.

abaid5.JPG

He stated it was a heel hit, so that may have caused the torquing.

Eyad,

You are drifting back a bit during the back swing. I agree with @billchao about ball position too. You can see from the screenshot below, you are moving back. It may be because of the ball position and the desire to hit up with the driver. Experiment with the ball position and focus on a centered turn. If you can get on a launch monitor, you can get your AoA too. I recently did this with the TM M1 review and found I was getting a +1 degree AoA with the ball just at my heel. 

Your axis tilt at set up is pretty good, so I don't think it is that.

Eyad.thumb.jpg.e114b0769d4d84bbbf973c389

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

12 minutes ago, Abu3baid said:

Yes, this is one of my observations as well..  I'm not loading the club fast enough to start my swing, and it is probably causing me to over swings still.

Ball position isn't an issue in my opinion, my friend was taping and he was most likely slightly to the right of me, so camera position here is making it look like it is too far back.  I put it pretty far up in my stance.

I will take a video next week with my stationary camera rather than the phone to get a better picture as well.

I don't think this is an accurate assessment, my main problem is more of keeping my face open through impact more than anything.. My miss is a big push, and even on this swing what you see is the club face reaction to me hitting it off the heel as this is way after impact and not at impact..

im not sure what you mean by mechanical adjustment is needed, but of course I need some adjustment as I just shot 100+ today :)

I'm sorry but your club face is shut,the push is likely due to your weight hanging back....as I said ,there is a lot going on with your swing which can't be addressed in 1 or 2 posts .

27 minutes ago, collapse said:

I'm sorry but your club face is shut,the push is likely due to your weight hanging back....as I said ,there is a lot going on with your swing which can't be addressed in 1 or 2 posts .

If you insist..  You realize that my current normal ball flight is a push draw right? And that my miss is when I don't close my face fast enough and I end up with an aligned path to face and it becomes a push?

if I was hitting constant pulls and pull slices I might agree with you.

well, since there is a lot going on with my swing we will just leave it at that!

Eyad

47 minutes ago, Abu3baid said:

Yea it could be the camera angle. Either way, the setup stuff is easy and minor. Work on that pivot so you don't have to time everything perfectly in order to hit good shots. Right now everything depends on the rate and amount of your slide back, subsequent forward slide in the downswing, and the slight flip at impact.

Fixing that slide going back should eliminate the need to slide going forward and you'll hit more solid shots more often.

1 hour ago, collapse said:

abaid5.JPG

That's a result of the heel impact, twisting the clubface over. Check this thread out:

His face is definitely not closed coming into impact.

Screenshot (11).png

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

Yea it could be the camera angle. Either way, the setup stuff is easy and minor. Work on that pivot so you don't have to time everything perfectly in order to hit good shots. Right now everything depends on the rate and amount of your slide back, subsequent forward slide in the downswing, and the slight flip at impact.

Fixing that slide going back should eliminate the need to slide going forward and you'll hit more solid shots more often.

That's a result of the heel impact, twisting the clubface over. Check this thread out:

His face is definitely not closed coming into impact.

Screenshot (11).png

His club face is shut  and as you have pointed out his weight hangs back which causes the face to open for a split second and a  push as he notes.

abupush.JPG

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, collapse said:

His club face is shut  and as you have pointed out his weight hangs back which causes the face to open for a split second and a  push as he notes.

The face shuts quickly because of the heel contact.

Eyad, do you ever practice? We almost never see it. Some of the times have been warmups before you go play… but you never seem to actually practice.

And @collapse, the weight being back is not really a factor in where the face is pointing. There's no real relationship there. You can have your weight back and have the face pointing any direction, and more commonly, it points left. Slicers tend to leave their weight back and their golf balls start left and slice.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Yep @collapse, it's just the gear effect from the heel hit. Just how the opposite happens with a toe hit.

@Abu3baid, clean up that backswing, hips more centered and speed up the arms on the downswing. Like you're throwing a spear into the ground just ahead of the ball.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

This is a closed face pointing to the sky.

abucloetop.JPG