IGNORED

My Swing (nick1998bunker)

nick1998bunker
Note: This thread is 2140 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Says you're from SC but that range sure looks like one I know in Carlsbad California.  Swing looks good, tough to tell with the way the video is shot.  I'd make sure the right heel doesn't come off the ground until after impact.  It can bank forward, I think you'll like the way you hit it if you don't release the heel

Couple examples of what I mean.  You right heel is off the ground at this time, plantar flexion, can cause issues with the path and controlling the club face.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Originally Posted by nick1998bunker

Any advice or comments?

Yes. Keep these posts in your "My Swing" thread.

Merged.

You routinely post threads in the wrong forum. Please watch that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

what do you mean wrong thread? there are different ones?

This is your My Swing Thread.  So don't start another thread involving video of your swing or advice on your swing.  Keep all that in this thread.

Mike McLoughlin

O[quote name="mvmac" url="/t/69623/my-swing-nick1998bunker#post_891109"] This is your My Swing Thread.  So don't start another thread involving video of your swing or advice on your swing.  Keep all that in this thread. [/quote]Ooh I see I thought you start a new one for every question

• Administrator

Ooh I see I thought you start a new one for every question

http://thesandtrap.com/t/38240/my-swing-video-threads-rules-please-read

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I am hitting a relentless pull or pull hook. I used to play a very large block and my coach was telling me it was because i had a very flat swing plane. Now that it is more upright I am pulling it badly. My other question is if being upright means I'm actually swinging to the left? I would have thought it doesn't matter. Is my face closed and that is why I am pulling it? I tried opening the face but it only turns into a block and goes very high and no where.

HELP!

You can actually see the ball shoot left in these. And those aren't even the worst ones!

thanks

Few things you could clean up with the set-up and the backswing but I think you'll start seeing better results right away if as you transfer your weight forward on the downswing you keep your right heel down longer.  What happens is your lower body extends or stands up at too fast a rate.  So the sequencing with the arms is off because the hips stop turning and going forward, arms are too far behind you, high rate of closure with the clubface, face ends up pointing too far left.  Have the right foot roll onto the instep, don't lift the right heel until after impact.  Will give the arms more room on the downswing, won't have the pelvis extend so soon (early extension).

Couple pics to check out.  Notice the right foot and how much lower these players are able to get their hands.  Also how the angle of their belt lines, pointing more down than yours.  Clean up the footwork and you'll see this improve.  So the weight will transfer forward and the right foot will roll onto the instep.  I would also suggest turning the right foot out 25 degrees to help with this.  To clarify, I am NOT telling you to keep your entire foot planted on the downswing.

\

Think this would be a great drill for you to do

Mike McLoughlin

Thank you I will go practice that right now. Will doing the drill also keep me from hitting off the heel slightly? And is swinging on a flat plane different from swinging in to out?

I think the drill will help the heel shots, less compensations you have to make with the face.  Yes I would say swinging on a flat plane is different than swinging in to out.  To be honest, I'm not sure what you mean by that.  Having the left arm match the shoulders at the top of the backswing can help you swing more out but you can also have a leftward swing direction with a flat plane.  Can you describe what you mean by flat plane?  I actually like the hand path for the first 3/4 of your backswing, towards the end the hands/arms just lift and get out of sequence with you torso at the top of the backswing.  Like I said, I don't think it's a priority now, but something you might have to take a look at eventually.

Mike McLoughlin

Just tried your drill of keeping the foot down Most unnatural thing I have ever done with my swing!

By flat I mean under the shaft line like Kuchar and I and by upright I mean above the line like Nicklaus.

I got flat initially by trying to swing more in to out so i didn't slice it.(Didn't work) but have tried to become more upright. My coach told me I needed to keep what I was doing 3/4 of the way then lift my arms up, I guess thats not good. What I want to know is if by swinging flat will that create more of a draw swing and vice versa or what do i have to do to control that.

Sorry for the double reply but I think I just figured it out mostly. I've gotten in trouble before where I was getting stuck with my hands and started focusing on starting the downswing with only upper body. I also lot no distance from this. And as I tried this I find my foot stays down longer. I basically delay the start of the lower body.

Just tried your drill of keeping the foot down Most unnatural thing I have ever done with my swing!

By flat I mean under the shaft line like Kuchar and I and by upright I mean above the line like Nicklaus.

I got flat initially by trying to swing more in to out so i didn't slice it.(Didn't work) but have tried to become more upright. My coach told me I needed to keep what I was doing 3/4 of the way then lift my arms up, I guess thats not good. What I want to know is if by swinging flat will that create more of a draw swing and vice versa or what do i have to do to control that.

Good, means you were making changes ;-) Changes should feel uncomfortable at first.

You can draw the ball with either backswing position.  I tend to favor a hybrid (between Jack and Kuchar) left arm or a left arm that matches the shoulder angle at the top of the backswing because it can help the golfer swing outward and makes things more simple. Having said that, I would only change someone's backswing if it mean their impact alignments would improve as a result.  Otherwise it's just style points.

"Good" backswings give the player the best chance to make a solid downswing.  That tends to be a backswing where the torso/hip turn is sequenced with the arm motion.  So basically when the body stops turning back, the arms don't run on or the elbows pull apart.  There are numerous reasons why this may happen but a good way to practice some good sequencing is to put a tee in each arm pit and make swings with them staying in.  Best to start off with 50-60% swings.

Similar look at what I just said

Mike McLoughlin

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know how to lower spin rates with driver? I trick the combine today and noticed my lowest spin was something like 3600 rpm and my highest was 5100... I was even striking them off the top. We have me swinging -1 degrees to 2 degrees of attack with about 13 degrees of launch. Any advice to lower spin Should I swing 3+ degrees up but with a more delofted face to get the 13 launch with less dynamic loft?

It has been mentioned before in other threads you have been in, hit the ball with a POSITIVE angle of attack. If your hitting the top of your driver means that you are hitting down on the ball steeply.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 2140 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!