IGNORED

Adam Scott: Do you actually think? *Poll*

Crim
Note: This thread is 3878 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Should Adam Scott have an asterisk on his victories for using the belly putter?

• YES
    • NO

I've heard this mentioned many many times, "Adam's victories should have an asterisk behind them when his putter style gets banned."

Do people actually believe and want this? I'm pretty new to golf so I don't know what's changed over the years but I'm sure there's been some rules that have changed. Should we just put an asterisk behind everyone else's name that played under different rules?

As of right now, the belly putter is legal. That's as far as it goes with me. I am not a fan of it, I dislike watching him putt...but some people actually hate the man for using it and saying he should have an asterisk behind his wins seems a little excessive.

What say you? This isn't a do you like it or hate it poll. This is a "Do you think Adam Scott should have an asterisk by his victories" poll.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

I'll vote "no", even though I'm about as big a detractor of the long-putter as you will find.  It's currently within the rules, and other than his putter being by far the ugliest POS in the history of the game, there is really no valid reason to single him out vs guys like Keegan Bradley and Ernie Els.

I'll point out for full disclosure that whenever an Adam Scott putt comes on the tv coverage, I fast-forward through the broadcast or change the channel.  That is how much I can't stand watching him putt.  And, still, "no" on the asterisk.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

FFS

This is "mentioned" by morons who know nothing about the game.

And the fact that you say some people "hate" him for it says a damn sight more about them than him.

He is universally liked and there is no dirt on him at all.

What about other long putter users?

What a ridiculous poll.

The answer is no.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Like I said, fairly new to golf. The only flack I've seen lately has been steered directly in Adam's direction. Haters just hating I guess.

But yeah I suppose I could have made an all long putter asterisk poll. I'll be curious to see how much of a detriment to their game it will be after they are banned.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

If a long putter was an advantage then it would be an advantage for EVERYONE. PED's are an advantage because anyone who takes them is gaining an advantage on those that are not. If you take PED's, they will work, everytime for everyone. A long putter works for some, and doesn't work for others, so it is not an advantage in any way in my eyes because if it were then when the best putters on tour using a short putter picked one up, they would show even greater proficiency. I have never played with anyone who used a long putter. If they were an advantage then everyone would use them and we would have a long putter epidemic.

Originally Posted by Crim

Like I said, fairly new to golf. The only flack I've seen lately has been steered directly in Adam's direction. Haters just hating I guess.

Kinda surprised at that, rarely hear anything negative about Adam Scott.  I say no, it's within the rules until 2016 to play with an anchored putter.  Anchored putters have won numerous tournaments and been around a while, so it's not just Scott.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree if the long/anchored putter was such a advantage everybody on tour would use them. I don't buy these guys saying its not tradition blah blah blah. Fact is the pros want to win and make the cash and most if not all would use anything they could  if it would make THEM better.

Why is the thread targeting Scott and not players having used long putters in general? Either way, they are playing according to the rules, it would be silly to have an asterix. Should they do the same to players having won with the old grooves?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by Crim

I've heard this mentioned many many times, "Adam's victories should have an asterisk behind them when his putter style gets banned."

I guess I should get out more because I've never heard anyone say that. Or maybe I just don't hang around with stupid people.

Originally Posted by Zeph

Either way, they are playing according to the rules, it would be silly to have an asterix. Should they do the same to players having won with the old grooves?

The old grooves would require a ton of asterisks. Heck, they may run out of them!

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Should we put and asterisk next to Hogan's wins because the greens were slower?

Should we put and asterisk next to Bobby Jones because the stymie was allowed?

Adam Scott (and all the other long putters) are playing the game in accordance with the rules, anyone making the asterisk argument is just being a tool.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I'll vote "no", even though I'm about as big a detractor of the long-putter as you will find.  It's currently within the rules, and other than his putter being by far the ugliest POS in the history of the game, there is really no valid reason to single him out vs guys like Keegan Bradley and Ernie Els.

I'll point out for full disclosure that whenever an Adam Scott putt comes on the tv coverage, I fast-forward through the broadcast or change the channel.  That is how much I can't stand watching him putt.  And, still, "no" on the asterisk.

Agree with all of that, but still, no asterisk. If ugly were illegal we'd have to build a lot more prisons. Besides it's not the putter getting banned it is the stroke, now if Scott were to be caught making an anchored stroke post-ban then he wouldn't have an asterisk because he would be DQ'd. But I don't think that's gonna happen because I'm not a hater.

People are way too passionate about this issue. If the R&A; decided to roll back the CC limit on driver's to 400cc would everyone start screaming for asterisks? Maybe a better example would be hybrids? No more hybrids for Tour Pros and suddenly KJ Choi is a pariah? Ridiculous.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Good grief, of course not.  And by the way, long putters are not being banned.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Should we put and asterisk next to Hogan's wins because the greens were slower?

Should we put and asterisk next to Bobby Jones because the stymie was allowed?

Adam Scott (and all the other long putters) are playing the game in accordance with the rules, anyone making the asterisk argument is just being a tool.

Agree with all of that, but still, no asterisk. If ugly were illegal we'd have to build a lot more prisons. Besides it's not the putter getting banned it is the stroke, now if Scott were to be caught making an anchored stroke post-ban then he wouldn't have an asterisk because he would be DQ'd. But I don't think that's gonna happen because I'm not a hater.

People are way too passionate about this issue. If the R&A; decided to roll back the CC limit on driver's to 400cc would everyone start screaming for asterisks? Maybe a better example would be hybrids? No more hybrids for Tour Pros and suddenly KJ Choi is a pariah? Ridiculous.

I agree, a player can't be found at fault with a rule change if he won before the rule change. He played UNDER THE RULE OF GOLF when winning his tournaments. We can not fault him for that, its not the same as someone taking steroids.

Actually i think Scott would be assessed a penalty stroke, not sure if DQ'd is the penalty for the anchor ruling ban. There's very few cases where a person gets DQ'd. They don't even DQ you for trying to improve your lie, or having to many clubs. Now if they found him anchoring and he signs for the wrong score, he's out.

True they are not banning long putters they are banning ANCHORING of a putter.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by Shorty

FFS

This is "mentioned" by morons who know nothing about the game.

And the fact that you say some people "hate" him for it says a damn sight more about them than him.

He is universally liked and there is no dirt on him at all.

What a ridiculous poll.

The answer is no.

I don't agree that poll is ridiculous.  The OP obviously doesn't think there should be an asterisk and just wants to know how the rest of TST members feel.  I think he framed the question correctly and his post was honest and not inflammatory.  There are morons who will say they hate Scott or Tiger, etc., but there will always be morons.  Kind of like that line in Men in Black 3 .  "Where there is death are morons, there will always be death morons."

I don't like the long putter, but Adam Scott should never have an asterisk next to his name because he is playing within the rules.  I would put money up that he and other anchored players will make the transition to non-anchored without much of a hitch.  They are just that talented.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

No, there shouldn't be an asterisk, and I am one of those who is death on anchored putting.  Rules are rules, and if they are being followed, then the discussion ends there.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by boogielicious

I don't agree that poll is ridiculous.

I don't like the long putter, but Adam Scott should never have an asterisk next to his name because he is playing within the rules.  I would put money up that he and other anchored players will make the transition to non-anchored without much of a hitch.  They are just that talented.

While I haven't heard of any discussion regarding an asterisk next to Adam's name championships won while using a legal putter , some people are always willing to create a controversy where none may exist. It makes their day to rile people up. They are called "trolls" on the internet.

I don't find fault with the OP ...

I don't agree that Adam and others who converted to the long putter will not have a problem returning to a traditional putter. I think they may use a long putter but not anchor it, they may go "Kuchar" on us, or use a heavy, longer length high MOI putter that is not anchored - 36-38 inches, etc., similar to the Tank.

As to those who began on the anchored putter and have not used a traditional putter in play, who knows? Some will have no issues, others will ...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

There have been several changes to what is legal in regards to equipment in golf. Non of the other changes constituted an asterisk next to the name of those using that equipment so I've no idea why anyone would expect it for this most recent change.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

• Administrator

Who voted yes?

I voted no.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3878 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!