IGNORED

Newbie question about balls

Note: This thread is 3862 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am a total newbie to golf and so far have just been using what balls I can scrounge.  I've heard, though, that it's better to stick to one ball to get a feel for how it plays consistently.

I have a neighbor who puts in an order at lostgolfballs.com each year and I'm thinking that I may tag on to his order and get some Sixron Soft feels, but am looking for something cheap in the mean time.  Right now Golf Galaxy has a few on sale, and I'm wondering if it makes a bit of difference for an absolute beginner which I get.

The cheapest they have are Top Flight XL, but they also have deal on Slazengers (Distance, Distance Straight, Distance Extreme, and Distance Feel).  Is there any significant reason I should spend a bit more on the Slazengers, or should I lose the cheapest ball possible for now?

I also had a question on practice balls.  Are the plastic ones ok, or are the foam ones better?  I want to have something to whack around the yard.

These are my opinions.

1) Unless your swing is consistent, playing the same ball will not matter much.  Sure it could help some, but definitely should not be high on your list of priorities as a beginner.

2) The foam balls are better than plastic.  The plastic ones do not hold up long, especially if you want to hit them with a driver.  A good practice ball that I like is the "birdie ball".  It does not really look like a ball, but it mimics curvature well.

Welcome to TST.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

... 1) Unless your swing is consistent, playing the same ball will not matter much.  Sure it could help some, but definitely should not be high on your list of priorities as a beginner. ...

As a beginner, I would suggest playing the same type of ball all the time. If you mix up TopFlite XL and Pinnacle distance balls, probably not much difference.

But it you mix in a high-spin pro-style Titleist ProV.1, this could cause you problems.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Id just play whatever you can get cheap.  As a beginner, it doesnt matter what ball you use because your swing isnt going to be consistent enough for it to matter.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I've tried using Bridgestone E5, E6, TaylorMade Burner, Sixron Q-Star.   The biggest difference I "feel" is during putting.   I prefer the Bridgestones to the others when I'm putting.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 3862 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!