IGNORED

235 Out on This Par Five - What's the Play?

iacas
Note: This thread is 3849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Would I be correct in assuming that a good play would be to start a low hybrid at the front edge of the green and try to fade it back towards the pin and around the trees?

If you have a slight mishit and you land in the trap which would be at least an easy par still (1 shot and 2 putts to make par from there). The hybrid hopefully prevents you from carrying the green since you have a headwind and can probably get decent spin from a fairway lie. Should you slice it more than fade it, you end up in the open spot to the right of the green in line with the back half. If it goes straight, you're either on the back fringe or just at the bottom of the ridge. Hitting it low ought to at least let your hybrid penetrate the wind enough to get it past or through the bowl, and a pulled shot leaves you in another bunker that still gives you an easy par so long as you hit a decent sand shot.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No hazards, only real trouble is if you get stuck behind a tree.  Bunkers are very playable.  To be able to hold the green you need to hit it middle/right of the green. If I was you I'd hit hybrid at the gap with a cut. If you hit it straight or slightly draw it, the ball will off the left side of the green but you'll have an uphill pitch and be pin hill or close to it.  If you pull it the left bunker isn't a bad miss, might not make birdie a lot from there but not going to make more than par.

If I'm me, I'd doing the same thing except with a 3 wood or my strong hybrid. Closer you can get to the green, the better.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by iacas

All clubs go the same height, but they reach their peak heights at different points in the flight.

The only clubs that would clear the trees are going to land amongst them if you take a direct line to the flag.

Is that really the case? You probably have endless amounts of Trackman data available, so I won't argue the point with you. But if had you asked me earlier today, I would have bet you any amount that my well struck Sand Wedge would reached a much higher apex than a well struck 4.

Originally Posted by iacas

The situation: +1 on the day, E on the back nine, and you drive it into the right side of the fairway on the par-five 13th.

The wind is into you a little bit. You have 235 yards to a back right hole location and 215 to clear the middle of the right bunker. Your hybrid flies about 225-235, your 3W about 245, and your 3I 210, 4I 200, etc. You're playing well and hitting the ball solidly.

Long and left of the green is a big steep drop-off (it's tough to see this in the pictures) of about 15-20 feet in height. There's a big bowl in the front-left corner of the green.

What's the play?

Here's as much supporting information as I can provide.

The shot (on a straight line). 215 yards carries the middle of the right bunker:

This shows a bit about how the green is built up:

A view from the fairway, pretty close to where I was playing from:

This is the green (showing off the bowl - the pin was behind where I hit the putts):

The hole on Lake View's site:

http://lakeviewcc.com/course/holes.php?hole=13

So again, basically, answer this question in detail, ideally as if you're me (given the yardages, skill level, etc. above) and then as yourself if you'd like:

What's the play? Why?

I would take the hybrid, aim it at the left side of the right front bunker, and try to hit a cut shot to the back pin placement. I would choke down a bit and hit a cut to take some distance off, but if end up hitting it straight i want it to make sure i am taking a bit off it. ultimately if the ball runs towards the pin its a win. If i hit it short and end up in that bunker, that's a good leave for me, i can get up and down for birdie from that bunker. But ultimately i want middle of the green.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Big C

Is that really the case? You probably have endless amounts of Trackman data available, so I won't argue the point with you. But if had you asked me earlier today, I would have bet you any amount that my well struck Sand Wedge would reached a much higher apex than a well struck 4.

Almost all clubs hit by good players go to about 30 yards in peak height. The longer clubs simply reach their peak height farther down-range.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Hit it 200-To take everything out of play-Leave a chip or whatever straight up at it.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Originally Posted by Big C

I've been guilty many times of trying to cut off doglegs with tall trees with my driver and clearing the nearest tree, thinking I'm home free, and having the ball hit the trees deeper into the dogleg.

Easy to get caught up in the total distance and the height of the nearest tree and be totally wrong about clearing the last tree.

Like Phil, I'm hitting my 4h (prob cut 5 for you) between the bunkers short of the green. 50/50 up and down for birdie. At worst, kick in par. Pro play, cut either the hybrid or 3 wood into that back right pin. I can diagram it up.....sure can't hit it though!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I see too much trouble right, such that any kind of a push could end up in the trees. For that reason, I'd lay up to your preferred short yardage (for me, 75 yards) and take a shot at getting up and down. You've got a good round going; don't screw it up with an unnecessary double bogey.

• Administrator
It won't help anyone, but I birdied the hole. I feel strongly that there is a pretty clear winning choice on the hole. The small picture is relevant too - look at that in particular.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm a lefty and that's a comfortable shot for me.............

I'd aim at the left side of the green and let the ball work it's way to the middle of the green.  If I missed....I can still get up and down for birdie.  Worst case.....probably an easy par. For me....laying up would be stupid.  I want to get it up around the green somewhere and chip/putt...or go for a sandie/birdie.  My game went in the wrong direction in 2013, but that is a definitely green light situation. (as far as I can see from the pic)  It may look different in person...but that's besides the point.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Start the hybrid at the left bunker with a fade taking most of the trouble out of play. If you are not confident with the fade take 5 iron to inside of left bunker and pitch it to 5 feet.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

As a 25 HDCP (who booms a drive twice a round), I would play the percentages and not try to fly the treeline:

I would aim a 4H at the left edge of the green, and play a fade. This should drop me in front of the green. Depending on the close-in lie and distance to pin, I would play an 8i chip-and-run, or maybe a half PW.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I would hit hybrid to the left side of the green. Get on or just close. I worry with 3 wood about controlling an over draw. If I get on great, if not short chip with tons of green to work with. I also like that I can hit hybrid as hard as I want. 3 wood if hit well may go too far if hit well. I don't like taking a little off a 3 wood.

Michael

I'm laying up without thinking twice about it. It's very unlikely that, even if I hit a great shot, I end up within 20 feet of the hole, which is what I would consider a legitimate chance at making eagle. On the other hand, it's much more likely that I miss the green and end up in the rough/bunker... I can lay up with a 4 or 5 iron and it's very likely that I stay in the fairway. Also, with a short range approach, I'm confident that I could leave myself a makeable birdie putt.

Sometimes I have to set my testosterone aside and play the percentages. Afterwards, I'm usually glad I did... With that said, after laying up I may drop another ball and give it a go just for the heck of it. Most of the time it confirms that I made the right decision.

Note: This thread is 3849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!