Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PDilyard

Cannot hit my hybrid off the ground!

30 posts in this topic

This year, I bought an Adams Idea 3 Hybrid. I can hit it beautifully off the tee...straight and maybe about 210-220 yards.

Obviously, hitting off the tee is a lot easier than hitting off the ground, but I'm usually pretty good with my longer irons out of the fairway. I have a little trouble with my 4i, but my 5i has been great recently.

The hybrid, however, is causing some major problems for me.

I do one of four things, ranking from most common to least common:

-Top it

-Hit it really fat

-Straight ball flight, but goes really far right (hitting of the toe?)

-Hard hook...so hard that it almost hooks into the ground

This happens in the fairway or rough, but is usually more noticeable in the fairway. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get that really smooth, perfect-contact feeling that I get off the tee.

Here's the things I've tried:

-Ball in middle of stance: I usually either hit it a little fat or hit it right when I do this

-Ball slightly towards back of stance: I usually top it or get no elevation

-Stand closer to ball: Hit fat and get hook

-Stand further from ball: Hit to the right and can feel it's off the toe

As you can see, I never really seem to get that beautiful, high elevating ball flight that I'd like...and that I can get while hitting off the tee.

Any tips?

Thanks,

Paul

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Are you hitting your hybrid like an iron or like a metal wood? If the latter, remember that hybrids are designed to be hit like irons.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Pretzel

Are you hitting your hybrid like an iron or like a metal wood? If the latter, remember that hybrids are designed to be hit like irons.

My thoughts exactly, the "sweep"mentality will kill you unless you have a perfect lie and even then a sharp iron-like strike will give you better results. That may all depend on the design of the hybrid but my (Nickent Ironwoods) hybrids definitely work that way.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Do you feel that you swing it more like a 3W or more like an iron?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by PDilyard

Here's the things I've tried:

-Ball in middle of stance: I usually either hit it a little fat or hit it right when I do this

-Ball slightly towards back of stance: I usually top it or get no elevation

-Stand closer to ball: Hit fat and get hook

-Stand further from ball: Hit to the right and can feel it's off the toe

Looks to me like you've tried everything except the right way to hit it.  I have my 3i about 1 ball width forward of center in my stance.  I don't own a hybrid but I'm guessing it's played similarly.  Try moving it up and see what happens?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't hit a wood anymore, but when I used to, I would have the same problem I'm having now....I could never hit my woods without a tee. I don't think I have the sweep mentality, but when I hit my irons I don't really think about swinging down at the ball either, so I'm not really sure. When I do try thinking about compressing the ball against the ground, I usually end up hitting too fat. Do you guys think this is something that could be fixed with a full bucket of balls?
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by PDilyard

When I do try thinking about compressing the ball against the ground, I usually end up hitting too fat.

This makes me think you're an "aimer" (don't trust your swing) and have never learned the right way to hit an iron.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This makes me think you're an "aimer" (don't trust your swing) and have never learned the right way to hit an iron.

It's not that I don't trust my swing...it's the fact that I've dislocated my shoulder slightly twice this year playing golf...the first time I hit it very slightly fat, the second time (about a month later) I was hitting my driver and it happened somewhere between the end of my back swing and the point of contact with the ball. So I think my swing is ok, its just that I always have that thought in the back of my head. I'm starting to keep myself from holding up with my irons and driver again, but when I hit a longer iron off the ground, I still have that nagging thought in my mind...which might be part of my problem with the hybrid

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait, so you're saying your arm just randomly pops out of the socket?  lol  If so I don't know if you can realistically expect to play this game.  Which arm is this happening on, your right I assume?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not that I don't trust my swing...it's the fact that I've dislocated my shoulder slightly twice this year playing golf...the first time I hit it very slightly fat, the second time (about a month later) I was hitting my driver and it happened somewhere between the end of my back swing and the point of contact with the ball. So I think my swing is ok, its just that I always have that thought in the back of my head. I'm starting to keep myself from holding up with my irons and driver again, but when I hit a longer iron off the ground, I still have that nagging thought in my mind...which might be part of my problem with the hybrid

You're swinging way too hard and use your arms too much in the swing. I also suffered injuries over swinging, and just fully recovered 4 months ago. Your description is exactly what I did, except I hurt my scapula muscles. Get some lessons, it will help prevent injuries.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Paul,

I think it is in your mind somewhere trying to help the ball in the air.

What i think you do is:

My trouble was just like you are saying:

I think you have a little to much body movement up and down in the swing.

If you dip down on the backswing and try to fix this in the down swing

it is possible to thin them and to hit them fat.

The dip down can come from your take away if you take away to far to the inside ( as i did )

you automatically dip down a bit. Result however is an open clubface on top off the backswing.

If you correct that with a fast wrist movement before impact that can result in a push or a hook.

Off course timing can be good also and you hit them solidly out off the middle.

What i did to fix this:

Take away like you would to hit a massive cut. So keep the club head outside the hands on take away.

On the follow trough try to turn your left hand palm to the target. ( this makes sure your not overturning the

wrist ( hook )

Than i take a tee between my tooth and point it to the ball at address. I try to let it point to the ball at my backswing.

If i do that i don't dip down and i get a great shot.

It takes some time to get used to it but after a few buckets you start to feel ball striking is so much more consistent

try and enjoy

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read a tip from Paula Creamer on hybrids - you need to hit down on them like an iron. Good tip, good results.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, I think I already fixed the problem that was causing my injury. I was picking my left heel up off the ground on my backswing. Ever since I stopped doing that I haven't hurt myself. If I thought my injury would keep me from playing, I'd get the surgery to tighten the ligaments in my left shoulder. But you have to remember, I'm 18 so I'm invincible :P Tomvk77, I think your idea may help. I do dip down during my backswing. Would starting with more knee bend be a good thing to eliminate the dip?
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah the left foot should never come off the ground on any swings so I think you were definitely doing something wrong.  When you take your backswing turn your left shoulder towards the ball/ground, which should cause your left knee to bend inward instead.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by PDilyard

This year, I bought an Adams Idea 3 Hybrid. I can hit it beautifully off the tee...straight and maybe about 210-220 yards.

Obviously, hitting off the tee is a lot easier than hitting off the ground, but I'm usually pretty good with my longer irons out of the fairway. I have a little trouble with my 4i, but my 5i has been great recently.

The hybrid, however, is causing some major problems for me.

I do one of four things, ranking from most common to least common:

-Top it

-Hit it really fat

-Straight ball flight, but goes really far right (hitting of the toe?)

-Hard hook...so hard that it almost hooks into the ground

This happens in the fairway or rough, but is usually more noticeable in the fairway. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get that really smooth, perfect-contact feeling that I get off the tee.

Here's the things I've tried:

-Ball in middle of stance: I usually either hit it a little fat or hit it right when I do this

-Ball slightly towards back of stance: I usually top it or get no elevation

-Stand closer to ball: Hit fat and get hook

-Stand further from ball: Hit to the right and can feel it's off the toe

As you can see, I never really seem to get that beautiful, high elevating ball flight that I'd like...and that I can get while hitting off the tee.

Any tips?

Thanks,

Paul

This is why I went back to game improvement style forgiving long irons.    Better off the tee and don't have the spraying issues I've had with hybrids.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Strandly

Wait, so you're saying your arm just randomly pops out of the socket?  lol  If so I don't know if you can realistically expect to play this game.  Which arm is this happening on, your right I assume?

a little harsh laughing at a guy who's got a serious issue with his shoulder ... might want to back it down a notch there skippy

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm laughing because I find it almost too unbelievable to be true.  And assuming it was happening and the person continued to court agony, I'm sorry but that is their fault, not mine.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0