IGNORED

I can't hit from grass!

Note: This thread is 3858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been going to the driving rage with my woods and irons, and only played a bit on a pitch and putt course (80-110 yards)

At the range, I can usually get a solid hit with my irons, they go pretty straight, and more importantly they go high into the air. Last time we went to a different range, where you could hit off the grass. From the bays before, I was doing well. As soon as I got onto the grass I was either hitting the top of the ball knocking it forward a bit, hitting it extremely low, or taking huge chunks of grass out of the ground.

The shots I did hit, did all seem to go pretty straight. After about 70 balls, I'd managed to hit a few good shots with little divots but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I don't want to go and play on a course (even though it's just a part 3/4 public course next to the range) if I'm gonna be stood in the same spot doing a bit of terrible gardening instead of actually playing. What could I be doing differently at the range compared to hitting from grass?

Ground might not be level and you aren't compensating for that or you might be standing too close to the ball.

• Upvote 1

Superfast 12 LS Driver set at 10*w/ProLaunch red shaft

:callaway:RazrFitXtreme w/MatrixBlackTie 15*:adams:Idea ProBlack hybrid 16*:adams: Idea ProBlack Hybrid 20*  :callaway: RazrX Forged 4-PW  CG14  54* S Wedge

Idea A3 60*  L wedge

:rife: IBF Aussie Tour Blade putter

I've been going to the driving rage with my woods and irons, and only played a bit on a pitch and putt course (80-110 yards)

At the range, I can usually get a solid hit with my irons, they go pretty straight, and more importantly they go high into the air. Last time we went to a different range, where you could hit off the grass. From the bays before, I was doing well. As soon as I got onto the grass I was either hitting the top of the ball knocking it forward a bit, hitting it extremely low, or taking huge chunks of grass out of the ground.

The shots I did hit, did all seem to go pretty straight. After about 70 balls, I'd managed to hit a few good shots with little divots but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I don't want to go and play on a course (even though it's just a part 3/4 public course next to the range) if I'm gonna be stood in the same spot doing a bit of terrible gardening instead of actually playing. What could I be doing differently at the range compared to hitting from grass?

Range mats can hide fat shots and make it seem like you are hitting the ball well when in fact you are hitting behind the ball, from there the clubhead slides along the mat and into the ball but on turf the slide part doesn't happen and you hit it fat.

A simple trick to make sure your getting ball first contact is to place a strip of masking tape an inch behind your ball and make sure that your club doesn't scrap away the tape at impact. As you get used to it start moving the tape closer to the ball.

Good luck.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ground might not be level and you aren't compensating for that or you might be standing too close to the ball.

Now you mention it, it may have been on a slight downslope. I'll have a look at some Youtube vids about that. I guess at the range I could put something (like a rubber tee) under the mat to change the gradient, do you think that would be allowed (and more importantly, work)?

Thanks

Range mats can hide fat shots and make it seem like you are hitting the ball well when in fact you are hitting behind the ball, from there the clubhead slides along the mat and into the ball but on turf the slide part doesn't happen and you hit it fat.

A simple trick to make sure your getting ball first contact is to place a strip of masking tape an inch behind your ball and make sure that your club doesn't scrap away the tape at impact. As you get used to it start moving the tape closer to the ball.

Good luck.

Will try this too

Thanks

I wouldn't bother altering the lie of a range mat, just accept it for what it is and focus on consistency of ball flight and distances. Pay more attention the next time you hit from grass as to the level ground and lies in general, try to use it to simulate a course as much as possible. I found when I (finally) started playing on the course as opposed to always going to the range that I was only half-prepared for the types of lies and odd locations I'd be hitting from. As a beginner your ball won't be in the fairway as often so hitting from similar lies as the range will be a bit rarer. The range can only prepare you so much, the course is more fun anyway.

Superfast 12 LS Driver set at 10*w/ProLaunch red shaft

:callaway:RazrFitXtreme w/MatrixBlackTie 15*:adams:Idea ProBlack hybrid 16*:adams: Idea ProBlack Hybrid 20*  :callaway: RazrX Forged 4-PW  CG14  54* S Wedge

Idea A3 60*  L wedge

:rife: IBF Aussie Tour Blade putter

Agreed.  The mats are more forgiving.  You can hit well behind the ball and still hit a decent shot.

Go back to the range with the grass and concentrate on hitting the ball first.

During practice I sometimes actually pick a spot in front of the ball where I envision my club hitting the ground.  I swing for that point and just think of the ball as being in the way of me getting there. Ball, then divot.

Note: This thread is 3858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!