• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
golfingnooob

I can't hit from grass!

6 posts in this topic

I've been going to the driving rage with my woods and irons, and only played a bit on a pitch and putt course (80-110 yards)

At the range, I can usually get a solid hit with my irons, they go pretty straight, and more importantly they go high into the air. Last time we went to a different range, where you could hit off the grass. From the bays before, I was doing well. As soon as I got onto the grass I was either hitting the top of the ball knocking it forward a bit, hitting it extremely low, or taking huge chunks of grass out of the ground.

The shots I did hit, did all seem to go pretty straight. After about 70 balls, I'd managed to hit a few good shots with little divots but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I don't want to go and play on a course (even though it's just a part 3/4 public course next to the range) if I'm gonna be stood in the same spot doing a bit of terrible gardening instead of actually playing. What could I be doing differently at the range compared to hitting from grass?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Ground might not be level and you aren't compensating for that or you might be standing too close to the ball.

I've been going to the driving rage with my woods and irons, and only played a bit on a pitch and putt course (80-110 yards)

At the range, I can usually get a solid hit with my irons, they go pretty straight, and more importantly they go high into the air. Last time we went to a different range, where you could hit off the grass. From the bays before, I was doing well. As soon as I got onto the grass I was either hitting the top of the ball knocking it forward a bit, hitting it extremely low, or taking huge chunks of grass out of the ground.

The shots I did hit, did all seem to go pretty straight. After about 70 balls, I'd managed to hit a few good shots with little divots but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I don't want to go and play on a course (even though it's just a part 3/4 public course next to the range) if I'm gonna be stood in the same spot doing a bit of terrible gardening instead of actually playing. What could I be doing differently at the range compared to hitting from grass?

Range mats can hide fat shots and make it seem like you are hitting the ball well when in fact you are hitting behind the ball, from there the clubhead slides along the mat and into the ball but on turf the slide part doesn't happen and you hit it fat.

A simple trick to make sure your getting ball first contact is to place a strip of masking tape an inch behind your ball and make sure that your club doesn't scrap away the tape at impact. As you get used to it start moving the tape closer to the ball.

Good luck.

Awards and Achievements

Ground might not be level and you aren't compensating for that or you might be standing too close to the ball.

Now you mention it, it may have been on a slight downslope. I'll have a look at some Youtube vids about that. I guess at the range I could put something (like a rubber tee) under the mat to change the gradient, do you think that would be allowed (and more importantly, work)?

Thanks

Range mats can hide fat shots and make it seem like you are hitting the ball well when in fact you are hitting behind the ball, from there the clubhead slides along the mat and into the ball but on turf the slide part doesn't happen and you hit it fat.

A simple trick to make sure your getting ball first contact is to place a strip of masking tape an inch behind your ball and make sure that your club doesn't scrap away the tape at impact. As you get used to it start moving the tape closer to the ball.

Good luck.

Will try this too

Thanks

I wouldn't bother altering the lie of a range mat, just accept it for what it is and focus on consistency of ball flight and distances. Pay more attention the next time you hit from grass as to the level ground and lies in general, try to use it to simulate a course as much as possible. I found when I (finally) started playing on the course as opposed to always going to the range that I was only half-prepared for the types of lies and odd locations I'd be hitting from. As a beginner your ball won't be in the fairway as often so hitting from similar lies as the range will be a bit rarer. The range can only prepare you so much, the course is more fun anyway.

Agreed.  The mats are more forgiving.  You can hit well behind the ball and still hit a decent shot.

Go back to the range with the grass and concentrate on hitting the ball first.

During practice I sometimes actually pick a spot in front of the ball where I envision my club hitting the ground.  I swing for that point and just think of the ball as being in the way of me getting there. Ball, then divot.