IGNORED

2013 Presidents Cup Discussion Thread

jamo
Note: This thread is 3845 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
The November skins games were more thrilling than this stuff. Ryder Cup has no money on offer for the 'athletes', rather like college football.  What about the Prez Cup?  Any money for winning?  If not, we need to question what these guys are doing, and why.  To me, it's all hype, branding and marketing; no real sport.  These guys are professionals, not amateurs, and are motivated, driven and measured by $$$$$$$$.

Pretty sure you have a minority opinion. We have meaningful golf in September and now October. And I've seen how much even Presidents Cup matches matter to players… they have money. Money doesn't motivate as much as simply wanting to win can. For your team. Your country. Yourself.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The November skins games were more thrilling than this stuff. Ryder Cup has no money on offer for the 'athletes', rather like college football.  What about the Prez Cup?  Any money for winning?  If not, we need to question what these guys are doing, and why.  To me, it's all hype, branding and marketing; no real sport.  These guys are professionals, not amateurs, and are motivated, driven and measured by $$$$$$$$.

You think Tiger's motivated by money at this point? Phil? Rory? Three guys who could sit at home the rest of their lives and live off their savings. They don't seem to have a problem motivating themselves to win tournaments.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

You think Tiger's motivated by money at this point? Phil? Rory?

Tiger is, he had to give most of it to Elin! :-P

I cant understand why the most exciting golf only happens one time a year(ryder cup and presidents cup)..I really think team golf is alot more exciting to watch than stroke play.

The team aspect is a nice change, especially at the end of the year.  I look forward to it, fun to see guys paired up rooting for each other.  There's always a chance for some great celebrations

The best players continue to play and work on their games because they love to win and compete.  In terms of measurement, winning is what matters most for the HOF, not money.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Looks like they are staying in the cheapest hotel in town lol

?? I hope that's a joke or you don't know what a cheap hotel really looks like rofl!

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I really like the Louis/Charl v. Phil/Keegan match. Both sets of players bring out the best in each other.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Tiger was seen on the practice green today with a Superstroke putter grip on his Nike Method 001 putter today. It was a Superstroke slim not as big as Dufner's grip, but double the size, and 6 grams heaver than Tiger's old Ping grip. Guess we'll find out soon if this is permanent.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

True athletes are motivated by competition and the opportunity to prove they are the best.  These guys already have enough money to live off of the rest of their lives if they wanted to live a more modest life style, even Jordan Spieth made $3M this year as a part-time tour member.   Tiger and Phil don't play for money they are playing for their legacy.

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator

Tiger was seen on the practice green today with a Superstroke putter grip on his Nike Method 001 putter today. It was a Superstroke slim not as big as Dufner's grip, but double the size, and 6 grams heaver than Tiger's old Ping grip. Guess we'll find out soon if this is permanent.

He's routinely "tried" different things. He only occasionally actually switches.

This may be a "switch" time or just a "trying it out" time… we'll have to wait and see.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You struck upon the key word newtogolf - when Phil won the Open Championship he knew he was three quarters complete toward the Career Slam. I'll bet he would barter half of his regular tour victories for one US Open. That would be his legacy.

To me its looks like a holiday express LOL

You and I have different views of "cheap hotels"....

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Ugliest shoes ever?

On another note....last time I checked the weather for tomorrow...it was looking pretty sketchy. Rainouts are the worst :(

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Originally Posted by joekelly

The November skins games were more thrilling than this stuff. Ryder Cup has no money on offer for the 'athletes', rather like college football. What about the Prez Cup? Any money for winning? If not, we need to question what these guys are doing, and why. To me, it's all hype, branding and marketing; no real sport. These guys are professionals, not amateurs, and are motivated, driven and measured by $$$$$$$$.

Originally Posted by iacas

Pretty sure you have a minority opinion. We have meaningful golf in September and now October. And I've seen how much even Presidents Cup matches matter to players… they have money. Money doesn't motivate as much as simply wanting to win can. For your team. Your country. Yourself.

The branding and marketing aspect of the Ryder and Presidents Cup has a lot more to do with the tours than the players which, in turn, will turn into more money for everybody. I am also pretty sure that the majority of the players (if not all) have generous bonus deals with their sponsors for qualifying for these events.

Bill M

These are hard to look at, Im actually getting angry just looking at them. So I assume MJ is some honorary coach/advisor of some sort? If he is I wonder if he's wearing Cargo Chorts???

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

I'm going to guess there is no way to watch this live online unless you can use golf channel online? Wish they would do it like the players did where they had live coverage for free, that was nice.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I'm going to guess there is no way to watch this live online unless you can use golf channel online? Wish they would do it like the players did where they had live coverage for free, that was nice.

Not the best quality, but it works.

http://www.wiziwig.tv/competition.php?part=sports&discipline;=golf

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator
I'd recommend against doing anything illegal please.

Note: This thread is 3845 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!