Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FredP

Shaft Length

3 posts in this topic

Advice: There have been lots of posts on this subject, but it's still confusing.  I play a Ping Eye 2 iron, blue dot.  The clubs are great but I've got to re-shaft and re-grip due to their age.  I've been having some back problems lately and I was thinking of adding 3/4" to the shaft lengths just so I could stand a bit more upright at address and swing.  Will this small adjustment change the lie angle significantly or am I over-thinking this small modification.  Yes, I am aware that the swing weight will increase maybe 2 points or so but that's OK because Ping Eye 2's are a C9, so maybe I'll end up with a D1 (correct ?).

Thanks,

Fred

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Adding half an inch makes the club effectively one degree more upright.  I also think lengthening it 1/2" increase the swing weight by two points, so 3/4" will get the irons to about D2.  It's also going to make the overall weight of the club heavier, adding 3/4" will feel very different.  I would call PING and consult them.

Before you go changing the length, check out this thread, might help with the back problems.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/56069/good-golf-posture

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

^ absolutely spot on! It's funny, I know everything about golf clubs and i talk a perfect swing...yet I still often play like total goon!