IGNORED

The new ball flight laws question - what about my feet?

swalker
Note: This thread is 3881 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Honestly, the golf ball doesn't know or care where your feet are pointing. You have 3 parts of the equation. Your target. Your club face. Your swing path. Let's say you want to hit the center of a fairway with a slight draw off the tee. Your target is center fairway. Your club face points 2* right of that target. Your swing path is 4* right of that target. Where your feet point doesnt really matter. Only club face and path matter. Does that make sense?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A little but honestly not a lot. I'm having a hard time grasping this. All these years of aligning my feet was for nought? Apter question, do u just guess at the 2 degrees and 4 depress or is there a trick to doing that? This is all very interesting to me

True, but swing path can be effected by your body alignment. Usually its more related to were your knees, hips, and shoulders are pointed, rather than your feet. There are a lot of amateurs that have there feet pointed one way, only to have there hips and shoulder pointing way right or way left.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

You certainly want to point your feet (and knees, hips, shoulders) in the direction of your target line (or more accurately perpendicular to) but in reality, the ball flight laws don't care about your alignment. Ball flight laws care about face angle and club head path. However as saevel25 pointed out, your alignment can help determine swing path. I was using 2 degrees club face and 4 degrees swing path as random examples. As a right handed golfer, if you want to draw the ball, your swing path needs to be more to the right than club face. But the club face needs to be right of your target line. That's why I said 2 degrees right for club face and 4 degrees right for swing path. [ * = degrees ] for simplicity Assimung 0* is your target line. Club face 2* right will start the ball out to the right slightly. By having a swing path that is further right than your club face is aimed (let's say 4*) it will cause a draw that will bring your ball back to your center target (0*) It's just the opposite if you want to hit a fade. You will point your club face 2* to the left. Your swing path will be 4* left. Your ball will start down the left center and fade back to the middle. Finding the proper amount of degrees in both your club face and swing path isn't a guess. It's something you need to work on until you can swing a repeatable motion and have the club face aiming in the correct direction at impact.

Probably been addressed on here before, but being totally new to these new laws. I have one question. I now about club face and path but where are my feet pointing?

Start by aiming the body, knees, hips shoulders at the target.  If you need a little more outward path, then you can aim a little to the right.  But the last thing you want to do is aim right and swing at the target.  For a fade it would be the opposite, like Nicklaus, Trevino and Couples, aim the body left, it "pre-sets" the path left.  In some rare cases aiming left with the body actually helps some players swing more out to the right.  All about finding what works, like I said, start out with aiming the body at the target.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Start by aiming the body, knees, hips shoulders at the target.  If you need a little more outward path, then you can aim a little to the right.  But the last thing you want to do is aim right and swing at the target.  For a fade it would be the opposite, like Nicklaus, Trevino and Couples, aim the body left, it "pre-sets" the path left.  In some rare cases aiming left with the body actually helps some players swing more out to the right.  All about finding what works, like I said, start out with aiming the body at the target.

So I aim the body at the target, aim the club face a little right and swing farther right? I think the biggest thing is thinking about swinging right but having the face different from the path. Does that make sense?

So I aim the body at the target, aim the club face a little right and swing farther right? I think the biggest thing is thinking about swinging right but having the face different from the path. Does that make sense?

That makes perfect sense. If you are right handed, and execute it as planned, your ball will start out slightly to the right (direction your club face is pointed) and draw back to the center (towards your target).

That makes perfect sense. If you are right handed, and execute it as planned, your ball will start out slightly to the right (direction your club face is pointed) and draw back to the center (towards your target).

This may be something that is an individual thing but how do u feel or put the club face in a different position than your swing path on purpose? I do it accidentally but would love to know a feel or trick to doing it intentionally.

So I aim the body at the target, aim the club face a little right and swing farther right?

I think the biggest thing is thinking about swinging right but having the face different from the path. Does that make sense?

Correct.  Part of "swinging right" is having the weight forward at impact.  Most golfers that "come over the top" straighten the left leg too soon, sending the path across the ball.  Not only does the weight forward help with the path, it also helps improve contact.

Here are some videos/drills that should help.  Also make sure the left foot is turned out about 25 degrees at address, allows the left knee room to flex over the left ankle.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread#post_791160

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/90#post_836200

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/90#post_846019

Mike McLoughlin

[QUOTE][/QUOTE][quote name="mvmac" url="/t/69863/the-new-ball-flight-laws-question-what-about-my-feet#post_894529"] Correct.  Part of "swinging right" is having the weight forward at impact.  Most golfers that "come over the top" straighten the left leg too soon, sending the path across the ball.  Not only does the weight forward help with the path, it also helps improve contact. Here are some videos/drills that should help.  Also make sure the left foot is turned out about 25 degrees at address, allows the left knee room to flex over the left ankle. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread#post_791160]http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread#post_791160[/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/90#post_836200]http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/90#post_836200[/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/90#post_846019]http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/90#post_846019[/URL] [/quote] Thanks I will. Could u address this for me? This may be something that is an individual thing but how do u feel or put the club face in a different position than your swing path on purpose? I do it accidentally but would love to know a feel or trick to doing it intentionally.

Thanks I will. Could u address this for me?

This may be something that is an individual thing but how do u feel or put the club face in a different position than your swing path on purpose? I do it accidentally but would love to know a feel or trick to doing it intentionally.

Just aim the face where you want the ball the start.

Mike McLoughlin

Probably a dumb question but do u mean at address and just swing normal without manipulating the club face at impact?

Yep at address.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3881 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!