IGNORED

Stiff graphite shafts

Note: This thread is 3878 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

this has probably been discussed many times, but i recently bought a set of mizuno mx-200 for 130 euros which i thought was a very good deal, however they came with stiff graphite shafts. Now i went ahead and bought them cause i thought well i can sell em for the same anyway and try them out. To be honest i like the clubs very much, but im not sure about the shaft. I only played them twice and they were decent enought but have some trouble aiming them still.

I guess my question is, is it really that bad to have graphite shafts, and since im a fast swinger how do stiff graphs hold up to stiff irons. Am i giving up accuracy here?

It is the stock mizuno exsar is4 if that makes any difference.

Before this i always played a skymax iron set with regular flex. That was my beginnersset, this is my first nonbeginner set.

I've always heard that Mizuno makes decent stock graphite shafts in their irons.

Keep playing them - it sometimes takes a few weeks, or a month, depending on how much you practice/play, to grow accustomed to new irons.

And we have no idea if you are quick, and how fast ... try easing up on them and see what happens - swing at 80%.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah i will definitely give them a fairer chance. I dont know, guess i always heard graphite is more for people who need a little help with distance. Since im 1,90cm and 27 yo i dont need that help and im slightly worried that they might not be the right thing for me. Then again, i feel they are an improvement from my previous clubs and for 130 bucks thats good enough.

Yeah i will definitely give them a fairer chance. I dont know, guess i always heard graphite is more for people who need a little help with distance. Since im 1,90cm and 27 yo i dont need that help and im slightly worried that they might not be the right thing for me. Then again, i feel they are an improvement from my previous clubs and for 130 bucks thats good enough.

It's not only distance, but graphite is easier on the body in the long run.

If it bothers you, I would not change them, but keep on eye on another set, and then sell them. If you need easier on your body steel shafts at some time, look for Nippon Blue or Orange Steel Shafts, or their newer shafts, in a used set, although they may be difficult to find.

Probably what you'll find are the typical DGS300, which can be inconsistent because the shafts are not selected for consistency, but on weight.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You have some options:

1. Sell the set as suggested here

2. Soft-step them once or twice and get one or two new shafts for the longer irons that will be without shafts. (I soft stepped my new graphite shafts after I thought they were too stiff and I love them. I also keep the added 1/5 inch to make them 1/5 inch over standard)

3. Re shaft them. Be very care about swing weight since I think those is4's are very light.

I am VERY happy that I went to graphite -- actually AeroTech i95's which are a combination of graphite and steel fiber.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Note: This thread is 3878 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!