IGNORED

Beginner driver

rule07
Note: This thread is 3615 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I guess is confession time. I've been golfing for about three weeks and love the game. I bought the complete set of top-flight clubs with driver the next day. I got good enough to beat my friend who has been playing for a year. So I stepped up and got the ping g20 irons because I wanted a 4 and 5 iron. The irons are great. So, I went and picked up the Ping Anser driver and 3 wood. 1st day at the range was beautiful. 2nd day at the range a guy helped me with my swing now it's a hard slice to the right 90% of the time. My question is do you guys think I should just put in extra time at the range, try a dif used driver until I get my swing better, or just take a lesson?

Take a lesson and practice. Don't get rid of the driver...it's the carpenter, not the tool.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Get a lesson. Its not the driver, its you. Ive only started to hit my driver consistently straight after 2 years, and i still slice it OB sometimes.

A lesson will hopefully give you the right starting point and from there on you can read up on stuff and try it on the range.

If you can hit irons good after 3 weeks(which i dont think is possible but ok), learning the driver shouldnt be a problem.

Get a lesson. Its not the driver, its you. Ive only started to hit my driver consistently straight after 2 years, and i still slice it OB sometimes. A lesson will hopefully give you the right starting point and from there on you can read up on stuff and try it on the range. If you can hit irons good after 3 weeks(which i dont think is possible but ok), learning the driver shouldnt be a problem.

My mistake, I meant 3 months. And yes my can use some improvement also. I just used those most of the time instead of the 3 and hybrids. I know it's me and not the driver. When I do hit a good one. It's great. I will look for lessons now. Thanks

You're certainly playing with more of a driver suited for low handicappers to pros, vs a game improvement driver as someone else mentioned that would be a little more forgiving.  I hope you don't shell out a ton of cash on that driver.  When I got fitted for my G20 - the guy said "I'm going to have you hit all the drivers I have available with different shaft combos - and when we're done I'm going to tell you which driver you should buy for your game, whether it's the $200 driver or the $500 driver".  That being said, the G20 he said worked best for me and fit me for the proper shaft and I was out the door $200+ tax lighter in the wallet.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

You're certainly playing with more of a driver suited for low handicappers to pros, vs a game improvement driver as someone else mentioned that would be a little more forgiving.  I hope you don't shell out a ton of cash on that driver.  When I got fitted for my G20 - the guy said "I'm going to have you hit all the drivers I have available with different shaft combos - and when we're done I'm going to tell you which driver you should buy for your game, whether it's the $200 driver or the $500 driver".  That being said, the G20 he said worked best for me and fit me for the proper shaft and I was out the door $200+ tax lighter in the wallet.

I though I would get the same treatment. This guy just wanted to sell me a driver. Needless to say that will be the last time he sees me. I went to a diff store and the guy told me those drivers have a small sweet spot. I may get a diff driver and keep that until I'm ready. I have my 1st lesson Thursday. I will keep you guys up dated.

Hitting driver nothing like hitting iron. Starting driver?? You can buy a nice fat one from Walmart if you like. Just learn how to swing it. It is not the driver with you at this point. Practice.

• 7 months later...
Quick update. At the end of last season before my 1st lesson I decided on a new driver. Picked up cobra amp cell. (Recommended by the guy who was giving me a lesson). Then the snow came. Been playng a couple of weeks now and haven't been using a driver until this weekend. The amp cell is definitely very forgiving but lacking distance. I go for my 2nd lesson in a couple of days but can't help to think I should at least try the g20 or g25. Maybe testing and the proper fitting will make a difference.

Note: This thread is 3615 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!