• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jon Foy

Wrongly Accused....

13 posts in this topic

Hi Guys

I played in the 3rd Round of the Nike match play event (formerly Volvo). I started off terribly and found myself 4 down after the first 6 holes. Anyway a combination and a near faultless back 9 and my opponent making some mental errors forces the match to into 2 play off holes. On the second play off hole I won by holing a 30 foot put for birdie.

The guy shakes my hand then as were walking back across the course he starts muttering then he said "i think you didn't play the right ball on the 18th, i think you cheated!"

I was gobsmacked the 18th was a confusing hole. The situation was I was 1 down. he tee off first and hits a tree 20 yards in front of the tee and finished behind a the tree. I hit a nice strike but a slight pull - its either going to be up on the left hand rough or just nudged into a very lightly wooded area (Happy with it) He messes up his second and finishes 2 fairways over behind another tree. So as we walk off there are 2 fairways between us. He didn't see his ball fly so I tell him the direction it went in and we set off.

When i got to my ball (in light rough, good lie and nice view of green) i put my bag down take my measurements grab a 5 iron and start to address the ball. It’s at this point i notice the ball is not mine. So i decide to carry on looking for my ball slightly further on it can now really only be in the wooded area. I find another two crappy old balls on my travels and then eventually see mine right next to a tree stump no chance off getting to the green.This has taken me now a good 3 or 4 minutes.He calls out to me after walking over the first fairway and asks if i have it, I said yes but i don't like the lie.

To be honest i wasn't really bothered as he was basically out the hole and no chance of getting to the green in 3. I figured a 5 was good enough to take it to a playoff so I punch out to around 90 yards from the green into the rough the other side. He hit his 3rd into fairway bunker, 80 yards from green. When he got to me he said "why did you leave you bag so far behind your ball?" I explained that I almost played the wrong ball with one i found and that's where I set my bag down. I went on to get my 5 and I think he got a 7 in the end. Nothing more was said until after the game. He was adamant I did something wrong and said I played the wrong ball. I could even prove to him I still had all my balls I started with.

I don't think addressing the wrong ball is a rule breach? Is it?

Anyway he rang the tournament director up and is now saying i pulled up a tree root so to be honest it seems likes he is just a bad loser and just making stuff up. But how should I handle the situation?

I'm really upset someone has questioned my integrity on the course. Only in last years match play championship i disqualified myself in the semi final because I played the wrong ball out the rough, the guys had already conceded and walked to the next tee. it was only when i picked my ball up off the green after pitching on I realized there was only 2 black dots and not 3 on my srixon2. Have been really cautious about this since which is probably why I noticed this time.

Do you think i should just let this slide? Shall i make a complaint about this guy?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

1: How are there so many unfound golf balls at a tournament?

2: Addressing the wrong ball isn't a penalty as long as you don't make a stroke. (I think...99% positive, but there is that 1% doubt...)

3: He's a whiny baby who's upset that he lost...you have every right to rat him out if he's making up garbage to try to get a ruling.

Awards and Achievements

Hi Guys

I played in the 3rd Round of the Nike match play event (formerly Volvo). I started off terribly and found myself 4 down after the first 6 holes. Anyway a combination and a near faultless back 9 and my opponent making some mental errors forces the match to into 2 play off holes. On the second play off hole I won by holing a 30 foot put for birdie.

The guy shakes my hand then as were walking back across the course he starts muttering then he said "i think you didn't play the right ball on the 18th, i think you cheated!"

I was gobsmacked the 18th was a confusing hole. The situation was I was 1 down. he tee off first and hits a tree 20 yards in front of the tee and finished behind a the tree. I hit a nice strike but a slight pull - its either going to be up on the left hand rough or just nudged into a very lightly wooded area (Happy with it) He messes up his second and finishes 2 fairways over behind another tree. So as we walk off there are 2 fairways between us. He didn't see his ball fly so I tell him the direction it went in and we set off.

When i got to my ball (in light rough, good lie and nice view of green) i put my bag down take my measurements grab a 5 iron and start to address the ball. It’s at this point i notice the ball is not mine. So i decide to carry on looking for my ball slightly further on it can now really only be in the wooded area. I find another two crappy old balls on my travels and then eventually see mine right next to a tree stump no chance off getting to the green.This has taken me now a good 3 or 4 minutes.He calls out to me after walking over the first fairway and asks if i have it, I said yes but i don't like the lie.

To be honest i wasn't really bothered as he was basically out the hole and no chance of getting to the green in 3. I figured a 5 was good enough to take it to a playoff so I punch out to around 90 yards from the green into the rough the other side. He hit his 3rd into fairway bunker, 80 yards from green. When he got to me he said "why did you leave you bag so far behind your ball?" I explained that I almost played the wrong ball with one i found and that's where I set my bag down. I went on to get my 5 and I think he got a 7 in the end. Nothing more was said until after the game. He was adamant I did something wrong and said I played the wrong ball. I could even prove to him I still had all my balls I started with.

I don't think addressing the wrong ball is a rule breach? Is it?

Anyway he rang the tournament director up and is now saying i pulled up a tree root so to be honest it seems likes he is just a bad loser and just making stuff up. But how should I handle the situation?

I'm really upset someone has questioned my integrity on the course. Only in last years match play championship i disqualified myself in the semi final because I played the wrong ball out the rough, the guys had already conceded and walked to the next tee. it was only when i picked my ball up off the green after pitching on I realized there was only 2 black dots and not 3 on my srixon2. Have been really cautious about this since which is probably why I noticed this time.

Do you think i should just let this slide? Shall i make a complaint about this guy?

You did nothing wrong and I would just let it go. The fact that you called the rule on yourself the previous year is obviously in your favor in any dispute. If it makes you feel better, address your concern about the loser to the director, but you won fair and square.

it's not a penalty for addressing the wrong ball or any other ball for that matter.

The guys a jerk.

it amazes me how many people do cheat though and the game is supposed to be about integrity.

Stay on the high road.  You can't prove it and it will do no good to complain.

the guys that know you will know you do not cheat.

I think in order to make a valid claim in match play one has to do so before teeing off on the next hole.  If he thought you had not played #18 correctly, he had to tell you what his concern was prior to starting the playoff.  Mentioning it after losing the playoff was too late.  So you should be in the clear from a Rules standpoint.

As to his spreading stories about an alleged breach of the Rules, I would politely suggest to him that he refrain from discussing an issue that had already been settled.  Assure him that you did not breach the Rules either by playing the wrong ball or improving your lie.  If he persists in his insinuations, make a complaint to the club.

Awards and Achievements

Its wasn't specific tournament day. It was matchplay home game on my club course. So just a normal day in terms of the course. I think he is try to get the match over turned because the next round is at the London club

Thank you guys! I have been playing golf for a good few years now but only been a member of a club and playing regular tourneys 18 months now. I've significantly improved but in all my time never had this! Oh we'll I'm taking it as a good learning experience and finding that some people will do anything to win. I should have seen it coming really. As the more I was clawing the game back the more upset he seemed to get. I just thought it was with himself for letting it slip on the back 9

Just ask him if he wants a rematch, and make sure you have two witnesses. That'll probably shut him up.

Awards and Achievements

Sounds like he was angry at himself for blowing a lead and letting you back in the match to force a playoff.  Rather than admit he blew it, it's easier on his ego to accuse you of cheating.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, you won, he lost.

Awards and Achievements

Just ask him if he wants a rematch, and make sure you have two witnesses.

That'll probably shut him up.

+1

There was a guy in my work league this year who kind of had the same problem (we do stroke play in league, 9 holes).  He would always challenge peoples scores per hole yet claim he had a 4,5, or 6 when in reality he had a 9 or a 10 (he was that bad). After a week where he claimed to have shot a good score and screwed several of us out of points the guy who runs our league played with him and kept his score for him.  It was amazing that someone could go from shooting a 46 one week and a 81 the next.

This is why I play a bright yellow Callaway Hex Chrome+ with writing all over it. No one will ever mistake my ball in a tournament.

Awards and Achievements

I recently had to change the markings of my golf ball after someone played my ball instead of theirs in a tournament. I now use a mark that I've only seen myself use and I make sure to reapply it whenever it appears to fade after use.

Awards and Achievements

I think in order to make a valid claim in match play one has to do so before teeing off on the next hole.  If he thought you had not played #18 correctly, he had to tell you what his concern was prior to starting the playoff.  Mentioning it after losing the playoff was too late.  So you should be in the clear from a Rules standpoint.

As to his spreading stories about an alleged breach of the Rules, I would politely suggest to him that he refrain from discussing an issue that had already been settled.  Assure him that you did not breach the Rules either by playing the wrong ball or improving your lie.  If he persists in his insinuations, make a complaint to the club.

This.  Tell him he has no right to slander you when he had an opportunity to make a claim and did not.    And if he spreads the story simply counter with "He is a sore loser - never raised an issue on the hole as required by the rules, but now that he lost he is whining about it."  Chances are this has happened before with this guy and people will know.

Awards and Achievements