IGNORED

Got the heat gun

joekelly
Note: This thread is 3867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I bought the heat gun and now to remove the bore-thru shaft from my Mizuno titanium driver head. But have no fancy 'head puller' gizmo. Am very limited in tools and gear so will probably go with some kind pulley system and strong thin rope to grip the head and give a pull. Will clamp down on the shaft to secure it. Then apply the heat and start the pull. Assume all will go well. Save the shaft? If possible but need the head. Hope the heat does no damage to the paint on the head as i read titanium takes a long time to warm up.

Any thing more i need to think about?

I bought the heat gun and now to remove the bore-thru shaft from my Mizuno titanium driver head. But have no fancy 'head puller' gizmo. Am very limited in tools and gear so will probably go with some kind pulley system and strong thin rope to grip the head and give a pull. Will clamp down on the shaft to secure it. ...

To pull a shaft from a wood, especially a bore-through shaft, you really need the fancy head-puller gizmo . The head-puller gives you balanced, even tension as you work the shaft out of the head.

You could possibly rig up your own system, but it would be quite a bit of work to invent a puller that did the job - and didn't damage the head. Do you know any clubsmiths who would let you use their puller early on a Saturday morning?

Unless this will double as someone's school science project - building a puller - you're reinventing the wheel.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not worth the hassle unless you're going to do it over and over. The guy that pulled my shaft, sheesh I hate saying that, charged me $25. That included shortening it, adding weight to the tip, new ferrule, reinstall and regrip, I provided the grip. When I commented that it was seemed cheap he laughed and said it's not even going to take him 15 fifteen minutes.

• Upvote 1

Dave :-)

A good hydraulic puller is worth the investment if you like to tinker. Mine's paid for itself many times over.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

The puller in the link below is fairly inexpensive.

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_GW1112_A_cn_E_29

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

In fact, that device looks like a 'pusher'. Not sure how the shaft clamp is tightened but once shaft is clamped down, then black 3-pronged affair on left snugs up against ferrule or head itself and big threaded center screw is turned, thereby pushing the head off the shaft. Correct?

Look, if i lived where you do, i would surely get the gizmo. But i am stuck in the sticks, can you say 'Asia', where golf is 'heavy luxury' and no self-respecting luxury seeker would do such himself, so no DYI  golf fitter shops.

Seems that once the epoxy gets hot and gooey, then a uniform, non-twisting, separation of head and shaft is the way to go. Whether push off or pull off, who cares? And if is shaft is unwanted, double 'who cares', as then i can twist off by hand.

And i suspect that once the epoxy is gooey then even my hands on the shaft and my feet on the head will be enough to effect the separation. Although the titanium head then may be a bit 'roasty on the toes'!

I pulled one from a cobra driver with the heat gun. Shaft bit it but the head was fine. I didn't care about the shaft. The shaft frayed and did not come out neat, I may have rushed it causing the damage but did not care. The head was good and I think I dremeled the hosel to get the residue out. I did not use a clamp either, I think I just pulled it out

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Note: This thread is 3867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!