IGNORED

Apparel for Fall and Winter Golfing

Note: This thread is 3871 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's pretty easy to find stuff to wear for warm weather around here.  It's like 100 degrees so a hat, a pair of shorts and a Nike polo made of that breathable material work fine but when it cools down what do you guys wear? I have just been getting into golf for the last 6 months and haven't had to deal with going out in the cold much.

Really looking forward to winter and fall for the golf season.  I haven't golfed seriously in either season so it will be cool.  Khaki pants golf shirt and a vest.  Everyone is a golf pro in the winter (pants)!

It's pretty easy to find stuff to wear for warm weather around here.  It's like 100 degrees so a hat, a pair of shorts and a Nike polo made of that breathable material work fine but when it cools down what do you guys wear? I have just been getting into golf for the last 6 months and haven't had to deal with going out in the cold much.

your from California and your bitching about the cold weather. Come out out to the Midwest, we'll show you cold ;)

I recommend Under Armor. If you find it on sale, your looking at low as 30 bucks, if not then probably 50 bucks. You just wear it under your normal golf shirt. They have different models, most will allow you to play golf about as low as 45 degrees. I've been near 40 once and its getting a tad to cold for that. But in ohio we get the northern wind, so 40 feels like 36 a lot of time. I like it because its stretches, it doesn't inhibit the swing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wear compression gear of various brands on days where the temp is below freezing golf or no golf, mock necks and long johns. For golf I just layer it with my summer pants and a mid weight pullover. Hand warmers in the pockets are a must because I don't use gloves. Don't overdo it. Last winter I was sweating on the course in sub 20* weather if I wore fleece and winter weight pants. But it's CO and we're nuts here. If the course is open chances are the sun is shining even if it's cold.

Dave :-)

Under Armor and Nike make great compression cold weather tops for under a sweater or polo. I wear my rain pants to block the wind once it gets to late October here in NY. Will usually golf until snow prevents me from playing. Love a nice chill while golfing.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

+1 for Under Armour.    I have some of their "Cold Gear" mocks that I put on under long sleeve polos.   I also have one of their"Cold Gear" quarter-zip shirts that I will layer over a mock and am good down to about 40 degrees.   Below that, I am probably gonna opt for a football game on the big screen.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

I like regular v-neck sweaters that you can find at any Macy's. The few I have are Tommy Hilfiger, I think. They're not golf-branded or anything. They're warm and very lightweight. I'll wear that over a regular polo (not a fan of the long-sleeve polos), and if I'm still cold I'll wear long-sleeve Under Armour under that. Not the Cold Gear though, that's a bit too constrictive. For pants, I don't think I've ever worn anything other than regular khakis. I don't have special golf pants or rain pants or anything. If my neck is cold, I'll wear one of those neck warmers you use for skiing. I have a rather high tolerance for cold though, so maybe I'm not the best example. And I don't generally play if it's cold and windy, or cold and rainy. Just not worth the money.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I like regular v-neck sweaters that you can find at any Macy's. The few I have are Tommy Hilfiger, I think. They're not golf-branded or anything. They're warm and very lightweight. I'll wear that over a regular polo (not a fan of the long-sleeve polos), and if I'm still cold I'll wear long-sleeve Under Armour under that. Not the Cold Gear though, that's a bit too constrictive. For pants, I don't think I've ever worn anything other than regular khakis. I don't have special golf pants or rain pants or anything. If my neck is cold, I'll wear one of those neck warmers you use for skiing. I have a rather high tolerance for cold though, so maybe I'm not the best example. And I don't generally play if it's cold and windy, or cold and rainy. Just not worth the money.

Old navy sweaters here. They're more "medium" than light however, so they usually come off mid round ... Unless its really chilly (well, what we consider really chilly ... Under 60f or so ;))

Pretty decent tolerance to the colder weather, I spend hours in the water surfing in the winter here in NY, so a bit of a cool spell doesn't mean I can't play golf. Long johns, under armor, etc... as opposed to piling on the layers. Even if if is high 30's or in the 40's- if the sun is out and it isn't too windy, I'll have a regular short sleeve golf shirt on with a warm hat, with the long johns for my legs and use my head covers as hand warmers when I'm not swinging or use those warming pack things. I *might* put on a wind cheater type of shirt if it cools off, but nothing too form fitting, but not too loose- there is a fine line of having flexibility without floppy garments all over the place. But as mentioned above if it gets cold AND wet or windy, I'll hit the heated range.

your from California and your bitching about the cold weather. Come out out to the Midwest, we'll show you cold ;)

I recommend Under Armor. If you find it on sale, your looking at low as 30 bucks, if not then probably 50 bucks. You just wear it under your normal golf shirt. They have different models, most will allow you to play golf about as low as 45 degrees. I've been near 40 once and its getting a tad to cold for that. But in ohio we get the northern wind, so 40 feels like 36 a lot of time. I like it because its stretches, it doesn't inhibit the swing.

As someone who lived in Wisconsin for 32 years, let me tell you, people in Ohio dont know what cold is.  45 degrees?  What?  Thats a mild day where Im from.  For me, the only real difference that I make from summer to fall golf is that I switch from shorts to pants.  When I lived in Wisconsin, I had a few sweaters that I wore for golf but thats not needed in Ohio.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

As someone who lived in Wisconsin for 32 years, let me tell you, people in Ohio dont know what cold is.  45 degrees?  What?  Thats a mild day where Im from.  For me, the only real difference that I make from summer to fall golf is that I switch from shorts to pants.  When I lived in Wisconsin, I had a few sweaters that I wore for golf but thats not needed in Ohio.

Yeah.... 45 degrees cold... TAKE YOUR SKIRT OFF SALLY! lol..... I am from Wisconsin as well, and like today, mornings can be 45, and by 10 o'clock it's 65-70 so layers is key. I also use under armor cold gear under a polo and I have a pull-over that unzips at mid sleeve and at the shoulders. I put it in my golf bag starting in September 1st. I typically wear shorts down to 50 with layers up top, below that it's pants. I will also take some hand warmers with and use them as needed, I am fine down to 35ish unless my hands get cold then it's over....

That's why you Wisconsin folks eat so much cheese!

I go for layers because even though it may be in the 40s, I can get warm if there isn't much wind.  I will do an UA base layer on real cold days with a polo and top layer of lightweight fleece.  If it is windy, I will wear an outer shell.  For real cold days, I have a Pearl Izumi thermal pants that I use for bike riding.  They are nice an warm.

For low 50s, I wear a V-neck sweater like Jamo.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Really enjoying all the ideas thanks guys!  I will admit, it probably doesn't get cold by a lot of your standards over here.  I'm not aware of golf courses here actually shutting down for the year, although we do get a lot of rain sometimes.  Hand warmers in the pockets is an awesome idea.  Will look into under armour as well

Saw some beautiful, light, v-neck sweaters (solid colors only) last night at Men's Wearhouse that I think would be perfect for our chilly "winter" mornings out here.  Except that they were $80.

$80 is steep.  I usually look at the clearance racks in late spring to get stuff cheap.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Clearance rack at the pro shop is where I find my deals. Though the courses I play usually have affordable clothes. Haven't seen what the have out for winter yet but last year I bought some nice sweatshirts with tasteful embroidery for $25. The Antigua stuff tends to be understated and nice enough to wear off the course.

Dave :-)

Saw some beautiful, light, v-neck sweaters (solid colors only) last night at Men's Wearhouse that I think would be perfect for our chilly "winter" mornings out here.  Except that they were $80.

Yeah, that's a little rich for my blood as well. I think mine were $30ish. IIRC, I got them on sale around the holidays.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 3871 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!