IGNORED

2013 BMW Championship Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 3858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger moved a stick, and in response his ball dropped. It clearly moved, but did not move back i.e. oscillate. This is a two stroke penalty. The Golf Channel reported that Tiger did not impose the penalty on himself, they showed him the film and assessed the penalty to him. He claimed he thought the ball oscillated.

Sheesh. I have lousy vision and could easily see the ball move (but not move back) in the video, and Tiger was right on top of his ball and he claims he thought it oscillated? Why am I skeptical? Oh well, I'll just have to put in the "metric" and tally this all up that way.

Had Tiger noticed the ball starting to move as he lifted the stick and put the stick back, would there still have been a penalty had the ball returned to its original position- aka would this be considered a non-penalized oscillation.  I ask because this happened to me the other day when I started to move a small pine cone that I did not think was touching my ball.  It was a casual round and I did not count a penalty because the ball returned to its original position.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Tiger moved a stick, and in response his ball dropped. It clearly moved, but did not move back i.e. oscillate. This is a two stroke penalty. The Golf Channel reported that Tiger did not impose the penalty on himself, they showed him the film and assessed the penalty to him. He claimed he thought the ball oscillated.

Sheesh. I have lousy vision and could easily see the ball move (but not move back) in the video, and Tiger was right on top of his ball and he claims he thought it oscillated? Why am I skeptical? Oh well, I'll just have to put in the "metric" and tally this all up that way.

Where is the video?  The link posted earlier in the thread doesn't show him remove the stick.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Where is the video?  The link posted earlier in the thread doesn't show him remove the stick.

I saw the video on the news, he pressed down on a stick and as he did you could clearly see the ball moved.  By move I mean, the logo on the ball started facing skyward (10:00) and ended up facing  the ground (7:00).  What I couldn't tell from the news video was whether the ball rolled a very short distance or just rotated in place.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here's some video.  The Golf Channel one clearly shows it moved.

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/golf-central-update-tiger-woods-penalized-091313/

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Seriously that is really a lame penalty. I don't know how anyone could claim that what he did improved his lie. While it may have 'moved' did it really 'move'? Wow. Edit: this is in response to the video Mvmac posted. I haven't watched any others.

Nice 59 by Furyk!

And Tiger's ball clearly moved.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

59 with a bogey is ridiculous!

And with Eldrick, i honestly feel he knew it had moved just by his reaction to slow down as soon as it did.

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

Notice how someone accomplished a feat only five players have done in PGA Tour history, and maybe one of the best ten rounds ever, and we're all arguing about whether Tiger's ball moved. Jim Furyk deserves better.
  • Upvote 1

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

• Administrator

Ball clearly moved.

Clearly a penalty.

And to those who say things like "well, it didn't move much, so that's a stupid penalty" I invite you to the obvious logic of trying to define exactly how much and in what situations a ball has to move in order to change the lie "enough" to warrant a penalty. Since you can't do that, the rules say "if the ball moves" and leave it at that.

Tiger's had a bad, bad year with the Rules of Golf. Which is disappointing, because it was one of the things I admired about him before - he seemed to know the Rules better than almost anyone else playing on the PGA Tour.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ball clearly moved.

Clearly a penalty.

And to those who say things like "well, it didn't move much, so that's a stupid penalty" I invite you to the obvious logic of trying to define exactly how much and in what situations a ball has to move in order to change the lie "enough" to warrant a penalty. Since you can't do that, the rules say "if the ball moves" and leave it at that.

Tiger's had a bad, bad year with the Rules of Golf. Which is disappointing, because it was one of the things I admired about him before - he seemed to know the Rules better than almost anyone else playing on the PGA Tour.

And after they've done that, they can put their talents to work defining the point at which a divot is no longer a divot....... ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

It is the classic, "argument of the beard" scenario.  So the rule is sound as it is otherwise the debate would be endless.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

What's most disturbing though is that he slowed down immediately after the ball moved.  He had to be looking right at the ball.  He had to know it moved.  And to not call the penalty on himself seems like of shitty.  Definitely not the same way a lot of other professionals would have handled it.

Karma is a funny thing.  If he had called the penalty on himself, he probably would have felt a lot better about things, then chipped it in on his next shot.

You guys are gonna catch some serious hell when Colin gets here. :-O

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

59 with a bogey is ridiculous!

And with Eldrick, i honestly feel he knew it had moved just by his reaction to slow down as soon as it did.

Of course, he saw it move that is why he stopped messing with the stick. He tried to play cool and act like nothing happened, trying to get away with it.

I guess I've learned something today.  The line between oscillate and move isn't as easily recognized as I thought it was, especially when a ball isn't on solid ground, and it can "clearly move" without coming to rest in a different spot.

Saying the ball clearly moves doesn't mean a whole lot in this context, as a ball clearly moves even when it oscillates.  I can clearly see that if he would have removed the stick, the ball would have moved.  I can clearly see that when comparing frames, the logo is at rest in a different spot by a millimeter or whatever it is, which clearly illustrates that the ball rotated (aka "moved).  What I cannot confidently say is that I would have called a penalty on myself without clearly knowing that my ball came to rest in a different spot than it was before.  I wouldn't have the luxury of freeze frames out on the course.  I probably would have assumed the ball oscillated myself.

Don't get me wrong, last year in a tournament I started to move a stick from next to my ball, the ball moved (actually came to rest in a spot about a millimeter away from the original spot (on solid ground, hard pan), and I called a penalty on myself even when my playing partner said it was "okay, don't worry about it."  But if my ball wasn't on solid ground and touching the stick resulted in the logo rotating by a half millimeter but the ball not moving locations, I may have considered that an oscillation.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I guess I've learned something today.  The line between oscillate and move isn't as easily recognized as I thought it was, especially when a ball isn't on solid ground, and it can "clearly move" without coming to rest in a different spot.

Saying the ball clearly moves doesn't mean a whole lot in this context, as a ball clearly moves even when it oscillates.  I can clearly see that if he would have removed the stick, the ball would have moved.  I can clearly see that when comparing frames, the logo is at rest in a different spot by a millimeter or whatever it is, which clearly illustrates that the ball rotated (aka "moved).  What I cannot confidently say is that I would have called a penalty on myself without clearly knowing that my ball came to rest in a different spot than it was before.  I wouldn't have the luxury of freeze frames out on the course.  I probably would have assumed the ball oscillated myself.

Don't get me wrong, last year in a tournament I started to move a stick from next to my ball, the ball moved (actually came to rest in a spot about a millimeter away from the original spot (on solid ground, hard pan), and I called a penalty on myself even when my playing partner said it was "okay, don't worry about it."  But if my ball wasn't on solid ground and touching the stick resulted in the logo rotating by a half millimeter but the ball not moving locations, I may have considered that an oscillation.

Oscillate means to move back and forth. That is not what happened.

If the ball rotates, it clearly moves to a different spot. He started moving the stick, saw the ball move (rotate), then he stopped moving the stick. When he stopped moving the stick the ball did not return or rotate in the opposite direction back to its original position,

Note: This thread is 3858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!