IGNORED

Natural athletes are naturally good at golf. Agree or disagree?

tmac20
Note: This thread is 3873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are natural athletes natural golfers?

• No. Look at Charles Barkley.
    • Yes. Look at Tony Romo.

Tony Romo is a +3.3 handicap... He participates in some of the US Open qualifiers.

This is his golf swing.

Charles Barkley is a 36 handicap... He sucks.

This is his golf swing.

There are 50+ professional athletes that have a handicap of 4 or better. There are many that have never tried the game. Now, my question is: are natural athletes natural golfers?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Obviously not.  Some people are good at golf, some are good at other sports.  Some are good at multiple sports ... sometimes golf is one of them (Romo), and sometimes its not (Barkley).

Now I have that "sum, sum, summertime, sum, sum, summertime ..." song in my head thanks to my crappy prose. ;)

• Administrator

I disagree GD.

Nobody's naturally good at golf. :)

Golf is unlike any natural skill we may have ever developed (you know, for survival). Throwing things, running fast, strength, etc. are survival skills. Hitting a little ball into a cup didn't do much to fill anyone's bellies with woolly mammoth. :-D

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I would say possibly. I will go with yes for the sake of discussion. The question does not say how good exactly so relatively good...possibly. A natural athlete is good at number of sports and so he/she could be more likely to become decent at golf faster than someone who is not.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Big difference between Romo and Barkley... Barkley isn't known for finesse... I'd say most quarterbacks that can move well in the pocket would make good golfers... hips. Besides, tall guys have shit knees, lol.

Being athletic doesn't mean golf will come easy but being totally un-athletic pretty much guarantees it won't come easy.

If I had to pick an athletic motion to determine how easily a person would learn golf I would pick throwing (and specifically throwing sidearm).

My cousin throws like most of us using our off hand, absolutely loves golf, and it's a long hard road for him.

Obviously not.  Some people are good at golf, some are good at other sports.  Some are good at multiple sports ... sometimes golf is one of them (Romo), and sometimes its not (Barkley).

I disagree GD.

Nobody's naturally good at golf. :)

Golf is unlike any natural skill we may have ever developed (you know, for survival). Throwing things, running fast, strength, etc. are survival skills. Hitting a little ball into a cup didn't do much to fill anyone's bellies with woolly mammoth.

Color me confused.

:blink:

I disagree........but it helps.  Anyone with good hand-eye coordination should theoretically learn to play well fast!!

The question should be..............what is athletic?.....for golf?  On one hand, there is Stadler and Lumpy.  Why can't a guy like Dr. J or Sir Charles excel at golf?   Why can't a guy like Shaq make a free throw?  LOL

Early in my golf life, I worked with a former div1 college football player so obviously......many of my golf partners were his buddies...former football players.  With the exception of 1 guy....they were all terrible golfers. lol...... Just because you are athletic doesn't mean squat in golf.....

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Nope. Golf takes different talent than what football, basketball, and other physical sports require. Case in point - I was nationally ranked boxer, and was a quick learner in every physical sport (soccer, basketball, tennis, ....). But when it comes to things like golf (and bowling), I just can't seem to quickly adjust to the sports. Now, if golf was played at while running full speed and dodging opponent's right and left hooks, I think I will be good at it in no time. There is something about hitting a helpless, motionless golf ball that makes it difficult for me to get good at. Go figure. :-(

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

agreed....

Just because you are 6'4", weight 245lbs,  and can run a 40yd dash in 4.45 through a brick wall doesn't mean you have the hand-eye coordination to play golf well.  It's a completely different skill set.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I would look at it more like this, if you took 25 everyday people, and then 25 "naturally athletic people" all who have never picked up a golf club, they practiced for a certain amount of time etc. it's almost certain the athletes would be have better results in my opinion.

People who are athletic and excel in a particular sport are often good at other sports, you know, the guy who is good at everything even though he only just started playing 2 weeks ago or something, so I would say it would just translate into golf too.

Does it give them a predisposition to be good at golf yes, but they can not just pick up a club and be good at golf. There are a rare few cases, and there are a few cases of non-athletes who can do that. So, i wouldn't consider it a inherent thing.

What i think translates more is just the understanding on how to get better. If you've practiced in another sport, you can translate that work ethic. The videos the OP posted are not the first swings those golfers took. They are after hours of practice. Tony Romo works hard at his golf game in the football off season.

I wouldn't say its a natural thing, but i would put them ahead of the curve than your average joe.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I would look at it more like this, if you took 25 everyday people, and then 25 "naturally athletic people" all who have never picked up a golf club, they practiced for a certain amount of time etc. it's almost certain the athletes would be have better results in my opinion.

People who are athletic and excel in a particular sport are often good at other sports, you know, the guy who is good at everything even though he only just started playing 2 weeks ago or something, so I would say it would just translate into golf too.

Of course.  Athletics are used to practice.  I.e, they have training know how & discipline on their side.    That is a huge factor in my mind.

Michael Jordan comes to my mind.   He may be good at physical sports like basketball, but when it comes to baseball or golf, he couldn't hack it.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Natural athletes will have an easier time becoming good at golf than non-athletes but I don't think anyone is born naturally good at golf.  Natural athletes have the potential to be better golfers than non-athletes.

Joe Paradiso

I'm going have to call this an apples to oranges comparison... Golf is very hard for above average tall guys... I'm not talking 6'4"... I'm talking 6'6" and above... there is a reason they aren't professional golfers.

Natural athletes make AVERAGE golfers.     I'm a perfect example ... stick and ball sports came easy to me.     Golf came way easier for me than anyone else I know (just wish I started earlier in life).     I'll never be a good golfer because of my obvious lack of putting ability.     I think the obvious answer is ball striking  comes easier for natural athletes --- HOWEVER --- the real question is this ...

is putting easier for natural athletes ??

I think being a natural athlete has far less to do with putting - seems to me as for putting - you either have it or you don't - you can't learn it like you can a golf swing.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Of course.  Athletics are used to practice.  I.e, they have training know how & discipline on their side.    That is a huge factor in my mind.

Michael Jordan comes to my mind.   He may be good at physical sports like basketball, but when it comes to baseball or golf, he couldn't hack it.

Yeh this will happen with some people, but in general, a person who is athletic, and plays sports, is more likely to improve at golf, as opposed to your average person, given the same practice time and techniques etc. IMO

Yeh this will happen with some people, but in general, a person who is athletic, and plays sports, is more likely to improve at golf, as opposed to your average person, given the same practice time and techniques etc. IMO

Yup, I was agreeing with you on that.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!