IGNORED

56 or 60 club face in a bunker ( various lays)

looseleftie
Note: This thread is 3837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi just wondering what u guys use in a bunker?? 56 or 60 depending what kind of bunker and where abouts your ball is in.. Mates tell me very mixed advice, whilst trying to listen to all views found myself rather confused... In the past I used a 56 with an open face!! Any advice or suggestions are always welcome ...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a 4 wedge set up (PW, 52, 56, 60) and use the 52 56 and 60 out of the bunker. It really just depends on the lie and how far you have to carry the ball. They all have different degrees of bounce on them so I also may choose a particular club depending on how hard the sand is. I would say just practice with both wedges. But if I had just a standard length and lie bunker shot I would pull my 56 and open the face.

FT Optiforce 440 Diamana S+, Nike covert tour Kuro Kage, Mizuno MP54 4-PW, Vokey SM5 52 56 60, Odyssey White Ice #2

^exactly what he said, but very rarely my 60 as its a low bounce model, personally I'd concentrate on the sand wedge, close to green and whatever you can get away with anywhere else!

Gaz Lee

I haven't found a use for my 60* wedge yet, and for that reason I don't even carry it anymore. I basically use my 52 for everything around the green, and open or close it for the shot I'm looking to hit. I use it in greenside bunkers and open it up to probably near 60*, but I just feel more comfortable with it than my actual 60* wedge.

Pretty rare that I need a 60* in a bunker. (Don't use that 60 very often for anything.) Try to use a 56 most all the time and adjust loft by opening face and such in paticular out of bunkers. If I have a very long carry, I'll use less loft but rarely want more.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I use my 60 with firmer sand and/or shorter shots.  It had been the 56 the rest of the time, but I liked the way I hit my 52 when I was practicing for our 4 club tournament, so that is in the mix now for longer shots.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Hi just wondering what u guys use in a bunker?? 56 or 60 depending what kind of bunker and where abouts your ball is in..

Mates tell me very mixed advice, whilst trying to listen to all views found myself rather confused...

In the past I used a 56 with an open face!! Any advice or suggestions are always welcome ...

I use my 51, 54 or 56 as needed.  The 54° is my usual go to sand wedge and is only used for bunker shots.

A standard sand wedge is 56*

Wrong.  There is no such thing.  A typical SW is 54-56 degrees, but what is generally considered as a sand wedge is more about the bounce angle on the sole than it is about the face loft.  I've even used my 8I for a 40 yard semi-explosion from a cross bunker on a par 5.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tend to use my 56° from any bunker near the green. I don't carry a lob wedge so I lay my 56° open to varying amounts depending on what I want.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Soft sand I'll use a 56 to make sure to shank-thin it out of the bunker and over the green.

Hard sand I'll use a 60 and shank-thin it out of the bunker and over the green.

Soft sand I'll use a 56 to make sure to shank-thin it out of the bunker and over the green.

Hard sand I'll use a 60 and shank-thin it out of the bunker and over the green.

kwpurp?

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Just pointing out the faults in my game. Lately, I can't even practice out of the sand without yelling fore at least once every 5 shots. Need to focus on keeping hands behind the ball and following through. My biggest mistake is thinking the swing is completed once the club hits the sand.

Greenside - Typically my 56/12 for most

If it's really short, or I have to get up high I'll hit my 60 with a bigger swing - with that face opened to use the little bounce it has, I need a big swing.  I like this shot.

Both clubs I open it up to what I think I need to get my carry distance.  Of course, the 56 has the most bounce so it's the go to club in 90% of the shots.

Fairway - for irons, I'll club up one vs what I'd have in the fairway - I'm not great at picking/sweeping so the 'extra' is usually a good choice

woods and hybrids - no issue, hit it like it's on a good lie

Plugged lies - Smith and Wesson MP40 is the preferred tool.  or a garden spade

Bill - 

I use the 60 from 15 yards and in, then the 54 outside of that. I started using the 60 back when they came out in the 90s because I had a tendency to decel to much with the 56. The 60 allowed a slightly more aggressive swing for the same result. I never went back.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Soft sand in a shallow bunker 56/14. Soft sand in a very deep bunker 60/12. Hard sand I play more like pitch than a bunker shot with 60/12. If the lip is low may even use 52/10. All about the weather here. A few days of moisture and the bunkers are like hard dirt. Like try to hit a flop of concrete. I see people putting out if they can.

Dave :-)

Note: This thread is 3837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!