IGNORED

Welcome Hopkins Golf!

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3611 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi All,

Wanted to welcome our newest sponsor Hopkins Golf to The Sand Trap!  If you guys have any questions, please feel free to ask them in this thread.

All Hopkins wedges are made the same way they make them for Tour players including:

• 8620 Carbon Steel, unchromed, for great feel and rusting purposes
  • Grooves that have maxiumum USGA dimensions for increased spin
  • Tour authentic components like Lamkin grips, True temper and KBS shafts, etc.
  • Six different custom grinds
  • Custom personalization including engraving, stamping and custom colors

From Hopkins Golf on their story:

After some 30-plus years in the golf business, a retired Greg Hopkins sat down to dinner one night with family and friends. The discussion soon turned to the evolution of the golf industry. Specifically, the group chatted about golf's changing retail landscape, true customization that only Tour pros experience, and the advent of direct "manufacturer to consumer" distribution that offers a better value to end users. Not your typical table topics. But from that conversation, the seeds of Hopkins Golf were sowed.

With encouragement from his wife, Linda, and several serendipitous conversations with key partners along the way, Greg founded Hopkins Golf with a rebellious spirit and a lofty objective: Providing amateur golfers a way to create their own custom clubs the same way Tour players do - at a fair price. Plus, he wanted to make it easy for golfers to try the clubs on the course and then be able to return them, if they didn't exceed expectations.

This is how we're doing it: You design the clubs right on our website and order them directly from us at a great price, instead of buying them at traditional retail stores. Plus, you receive your clubs quickly and Hopkins Golf has an easy, hassle-free return policy.

We're only making wedges -- for now. But who knows what'll result from Greg's next dinner get-together?

Make sure to check out Hopkins Golf here http://hopkinsgolf.com/page/index

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to comprehensive reviews. I'd love to hear about which grinds will play like Mizuno MP T-11's that I love but will need to be replaced. Which grinds keep leading edge low when you open them like my Mizuno and different than my old Callaways? Which grinds...

Hoping TST will have reviewers give more that the info on Hopkins website -- which is fine but simple.

I like the ideas of these being my next wedges.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Sign me up to review these wedges! This is a niche market that I see them doing well in.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I checked out the site. Not too bad. A lot of extra charges as expected. Wish they offered more grip brands. The spinner shafts are about right as an add on. Maybe would consider after some reviews.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

I checked out the Hopkins site about a month ago, and have had a couple of informative e-mail exchanges with them. I inserted a table on shaft lengths in one of our TST threads.

Here on my desk I have a printout of the specs for a three-wedge set I would try if I went with Hopkins. If you need a reviewer for these, let me know.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Nice customization interface for the design your club option.  Very easy.

I would like to get my hands on a few to try out!  I wish there was a 48 option though without having it bent

These are really cool and something I will strongly consider when the time comes to buy new wedges.

x2

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

For whatever little it's worth, the Hopkins ad on Gokf Channel is extremely effective. The golfer telling the befuddled sporting goods store employee how the purchase process will work. The employee obviously can't meet the golfer's needs, and enter Hopkins. Well done and effective. Now it needs to avoid being overplayed but still reach its audience.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Is it true that UPS employees build the clubs and customize them, then send out to you?

From what I've read the answer is yes. The idea originated on the golf course, during a round at Oakmont with the President of UPS.

Hopkins developed an operational partnership with UPS and secured 18 employees dedicated exclusively to the Hopkins Golf.  Hopkins built an assembly plant inside the UPS hub in Mira Loma.  Obviously the UPS employees have been trained to build golf equipment.  So the idea is that you get custom built clubs and a fast turnaround.  Also by cutting out the middle man, Hopkins and can offer their custom wedges at lower prices than Titleist and Cleveland

http://hopkinsgolf.com/competitive-pricing.php

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

That's something to look into considering I'll need new wedges for next season and the custom grind/KBS Tour shaft wedges are the same price as something off the rack at a golf shop.

They should send the Trap some of their returned wedges to send out as demos for us to review. That would be a great way to actually get some real reviews and not the usual suck-up reviews that the magazines put out to people that advertise with them. I mean have you ever read a bad staff review of an OEM club that advertised in Golf Digest?

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Great looking wedges.  I'd like to see a little more specificity when it comes to bounces.  Seems like the options there are somewhat limiting, with a tendency towards lower effective bounce......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

First constructive comment...add a 48.

• Administrator

First constructive comment...add a 48.

I second this.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the warm welcome to The Sand Trap! We are excited to hear feedback from everyone on what they think of our wedges.

FYI: We are looking to add new lofts and a few other exciting things to our lineup later this year and early next year, so stay tuned!

- Randy from Hopkins Golf

Note: This thread is 3611 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!