IGNORED

How long should Wedges last??

Note: This thread is 3679 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello, my first post here.

Personally, I don't buy into the frequent replacement thing. I just recently changed my sand wedge from an old Ping Eye2 56 degree that I bought used for $20 to a new Cleveland 588 54 degree. The Ping is out of the bag and the loft change took some getting used to, but other than that, both clubs perform exceptionally well for me.  This despite the fact that one is more than 20 years old and the other brand new with the buzz marketed Rotex groove thing.  I'd say if you are happy with the wedges you're playing, no reason not to hang on to them.  I bought the Cleveland because I pretty much bought into the groove hype, but my average score hasn't noticeably wavered at all. I can't justify dropping an additional $250 for a new set of wedges every season with numbers like that. I'd rather spend the dough on green fees, practice balls or lessons.

First, welcome to the site!  I see what you are saying and agree for the most part.  However, for someone who practices and plays a lot like myself I will notice a change in how my most used wedge plays by the end of the season.  I will notice the ball start to roll out a bit more on certain shots closer to the green where I would get it to spin and stop before.  For me it is probably changing out just the one I use and practice short game(and sand shots) with all the time and then changing the other wedges out every 2-3 years.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

First, welcome to the site!  I see what you are saying and agree for the most part.  However, for someone who practices and plays a lot like myself I will notice a change in how my most used wedge plays by the end of the season.  I will notice the ball start to roll out a bit more on certain shots closer to the green where I would get it to spin and stop before.  For me it is probably changing out just the one I use and practice short game(and sand shots) with all the time and then changing the other wedges out every 2-3 years.

So you seriously think they only last a year or 2 if you practice with them a lot?  If thats your honest opinion why would anyone buy $100+ wedges? Im not disagreeing with you but wow what a waste of $$$$$.

• Administrator
So you seriously think they only last a year or 2 if you practice with them a lot?  If thats your honest opinion why would anyone buy $100+ wedges? Im not disagreeing with you but wow what a waste of $$$$$.

Let's say wedges last 2000 shots. When they're used up, you replace them. If you play infrequently and your wedges last years, great. Same value if you hit that many shots in a year though. Please try to be careful about assuming everyone places the same value on things as you do. Heck, my wedges cost a bit over $150.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Let's say wedges last 2000 shots. When they're used up, you replace them.

If you play infrequently and your wedges last years, great. Same value if you hit that many shots in a year though.

Please try to be careful about assuming everyone places the same value on things as you do. Heck, my wedges cost a bit over $150.

Im not complaining but it kinda makes me sad :-( .  I love my vokeys and i basically have to replace them after this year.  I would love to get some edel's but at that rate of how long they last it hard to drop that amount of $$$$$.

• Administrator
Im not complaining but it kinda makes me sad :-( .  I love my vokeys and i basically have to replace them after this year.  I would love to get some edel's but at that rate of how long they last it hard to drop that amount of $$$$$.

They last as long as every other wedge. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

What does TST community think of the studies by the USGA and Cochrane and Stobbs that concluded the grooves do little other than channel away debris and moisture?

http://probablegolfinstruction.com/golf-club-grooves-backspin.htm

I'm on the fence about it myself. I know one guy that illegally increased the size of his grooves and he definitely got a heck of a lot more spin but he had to throw the wedge away because it was cutting up his golf ball.

I know another guy that plays an old SW that is very worn and I laugh at him for not getting a new one. Only thing is he gets just as much spin as the rest of us. So? (I don't know).

I usually buy new ones if they are visibly getting worn but I'm not overly picky about it. Figure it certainly can't hurt and would at the very least channel away more debris and moisture.

fred couples has stated he plays the same wedge he did 20 years ago.  he did have them regrooved.  I would try to test them myself to see if they need replacement or not.

Hi welcome to the site. Yes Couples used the 588 Cleveland wedges for a while but I would be very surprised if he didn't replace them every season or so. I know some players replace their wedges every couple tournaments.

Last year or so Couples has been playing a TaylorMade ATV (54 degrees) and a Callaway X Forged (58 degrees)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Wasting money is relative to the individual. If I continue to improve and hit better shots with a more expensive wedge that is fit for me, well that is not a waste when you have a certain goal in mind. And replacing one wedge a year is not that big of a deal to me. Replacing the others every few gets spendy, but we will see how they last. I do think you can play with slightly worn out gap wedges a little longer.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

There are no absolute numbers without factoring in each individual's parameters and skill level and shot sensitivity and local conditions. To me, at my level of consistency ( or lack thereof ), coupled with my frequency of practice and play, factoring in how often I find my ball in a troublesome spot, a new wedge could easily last me 5-20 years. But I can also accept that I might benefit with a replacement wedge every year or two if my game improves and my frequency of practice and play increases. The answer, in my opinion, as to how long wedges last, is "it depends". Just my Saturday morning 2 cents worth of commentary.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Are the numbers that Ping provided based on a pro's swing and swing speeds or amateurs?  Seems the pro's also get into the sand a lot more often than I do.

Joe Paradiso

Are the numbers that Ping provided based on a pro's swing and swing speeds or amateurs?  Seems the pro's also get into the sand a lot more often than I do.

Are you referring to this post?

http://thesandtrap.com/t/69981/how-long-should-wedges-last#post_897661

PING tests with both pros and amateurs. They also test with their robot.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Wasting money is relative to the individual. If I continue to improve and hit better shots with a more expensive wedge that is fit for me, well that is not a waste when you have a certain goal in mind. And replacing one wedge a year is not that big of a deal to me. Replacing the others every few gets spendy, but we will see how they last. I do think you can play with slightly worn out gap wedges a little longer.

I guess it not really a waste of money I lose $100+ in golf balls easily a year.  It more so sucks because I kinda get attached to my clubs and I hate to get rid of them :-( .  Maybe I should get some edel's when my vokeys wear out and just keep them for chipping around the yard and at the range.  I love the way the edel's look and how you can customize them how you want.

Crappy sand and poor course conditions kills my wedges well before the grooves wear out. In fact a couple years ago I put a ding in the face of a brand new CG15-56 the first day I used it hitting out of a bunker. Most of the courses I play in the area were just prairie fields before they were built. Many have unmaintained areas all around the holes. Don't have to hit a big miss to be trying to get up and down from bare dirt with who knows what in it. Last time I bought wedges I ordered duplicates because I like them enough I didn't want to chance the next design would be something I didn't like as much. I know they will be thrashed by this time next year, regardless of how many ball I hit.

Dave :-)

A good point. I think as my handicap goes down and my short game becomes more consistent and predictable I'd probably notice slight losses in spin and control more than I do now.

This definitely makes sense. I can see how a lot of sand practice would beat up on a wedge. And 2-3 years for the other wedges definitely seems reasonable.

Note: This thread is 3679 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!