IGNORED

Driving the ball into the wind with a higher clubhead speed

Note: This thread is 3844 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm really good at controlling trajectory and spin with my irons in windy conditions (when I say windy I'm talking 20+ mph) but my driver is where I really struggle. I've looked around for tips but most of the articles I find are written for players with slower clubhead speeds. My clubhead speed on a smooth driver swing is right at 115mph.

Most of what I've seen says you want to tee the ball down a bit more and play it back of center. This just increases the spin on the ball though. I just end up hitting a giant sweeping draw when I play the ball like this. This works fine on a more open course where I can aim right to compensate but on a tight course, there often isn't enough room for me to compensate for the draw.

I'm just wondering what works for other lower handicap, higher clubhead speed players.

Thanks

• Administrator

I've never seen anyone say "play the ball back of center" with your driver into the wind.

Play the ball forward, keep the handle forward a bit, and minimize the difference between loft and angle of attack.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've never seen anyone say "play the ball back of center" with your driver into the wind.

Play the ball forward, keep the handle forward a bit, and minimize the difference between loft and angle of attack.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I actually do play it a little back.... It keeps it like a BB and long.  I play it back just a hair, put my hands ahead (decreasing loft) and swing it.  It produces a nice low draw for me.

University of Illinois - Springfield Golf Team

Titleist 913 w/ Tour AD DI-6

Titleist 906 3 Wood w/ Proforce V2

Bridgestone J36 Hybrid

Mizuno MP 64 - Project X 6.0

Titleist 50, 56 Spin Milled - Project X 6.0

Scotty Cameron Newport

Note: This thread is 3844 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!