IGNORED

question for those who play public courses

wils5150
Note: This thread is 3839 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

yes Dave is correct! my clubhouse grounds are very nice. but the labor to water all the mums is killing me. just some fyi My course has 36 acres of fairway,4 acres each of tees and greens and I do it with 10 guys.

I don't care about landscaping and parking lots. I care about watering the greens, tees, and fairways.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like a nice clubhouse so I can get a beer and a bite to eat after my round but not at the expense of the actual course itself. Flowers and landscaping make no real difference to me, I suppose all thing being equal I would prefer the beautified parking lot but rarely are "all things equal."

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I don't care if the clubhouse is a shack with dead flowers in the parking lot as long as the course is nice.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

The course is most important to me.  As long as the club house and parking area are clean and well kept, I don't need flowers.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

yes Dave is correct! my clubhouse grounds are very nice. but the labor to water all the mums is killing me. just some fyi My course has 36 acres of fairway,4 acres each of tees and greens and I do it with 10 guys.

Nice matters to me. But flowers do not always equal nice. Clean, well groomed and friendly allow for entertaining better than a course with zero attention to anything but the course. First impressions matter. Staff often can be first impression. But, like it or not, the parking lot is often a first impression too.

That all said, two of my favorite courses to play on my own or with hard core golfers, have parking and range areas that make you think the course will not be good. One is no-frills but new with a gravel lot full of pickups with gun racks. The other is old and has rusty old club holders on the range and a very dated clubhouse. And then you get out on the course and they both are awesome and very well maintained.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

My experience is that a clean, neat, well-maintained clubhouse and parking lot, even if the facility is old or small, is often associated with a decent course.  Run down clubhouses often have marginal courses.  There are always exceptions but a course owner that takes pride in his course usually is willing to spend some money on the rest of the facilities.  There are certainly high end clubhouses and parking facilities associated with mediocre golf courses but typically in those cases it is not a maintenance issue so much as a basically uninteresting layout.

Brian Kuehn

My experience is that a clean, neat, well-maintained clubhouse and parking lot, even if the facility is old or small, is often associated with a decent course.  Run down clubhouses often have marginal courses.  There are always exceptions but a course owner that takes pride in his course usually is willing to spend some money on the rest of the facilities.  There are certainly high end clubhouses and parking facilities associated with mediocre golf courses but typically in those cases it is not a maintenance issue so much as a basically uninteresting layout.

If times are hard I'd rather see them put the extra money into the course than updating the clubhouse and parking lot or landscaping.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I'll echo what most people have said. Flowers and a nicely-maintained parking lot and clubhouse are nice, but it's the course that matters. I rarely spend much time in clubhouses, so I couldn't really care less.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I'll echo what most people have said. Flowers and a nicely-maintained parking lot and clubhouse are nice, but it's the course that matters. I rarely spend much time in clubhouses, so I couldn't really care less.

what he said

The small course where I work has 100 acres total that we mow. The owner mows the fairways and greens. I mow everything else, change the holes, take care of all brush, limb and tree clearing, and miscellaneous things like building new tee boxes and punching greens. His wife runs the clubhouse and keeps up the flower gardens around the clubhouse.

I do most of the equipment maintenance and he does the spaying. They live above the clubhouse and his wife averages working 12 hours a day, the owner averages 14 hours a day, and I work 30 hours a week. I never take a break on the job so 30 hours is 30 hours.

There are more things I could do if I had more time but the owner spends NO money that doesn't come through the cash register and that limits me to 30 hours.

A friend of ours owns a bigger course that requires more people but his biggest problem is finding good employees that have some initiative and don't need a babysitter to get the work done.

I have to agree with almost all the above.  I play a lot of public golf courses ranging from the Munis to resorts.  I guess I do care about the club house and parking lot but certainly the golf course is first priority.  If the course isn't interesting and in good condition it really doesn't matter what the parking lot and clubhouse look like.  But I admit I like to have a place where I can eat and drink after the round that is appealing and a parking lot with spaces wide enough you don't get a bunch of dings and scratches on the vehicle. :tumble:

Butch

For weekend players, the flowers make a nice impression. Most weekend players don't add that many more strokes with poor maintenence. Nice greens and flowers will make a better impression for most players. Tough question, though.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I haven't seen a lot of public layouts where the course is well-maintained and the clubhouse/grounds are shabby.

Also, there's room for middle ground. A course can have a decent parking lot and service-area landscaping without being extravagant. If you have native shrubs and plants, often they thrive quite well with just a little water and minimal maintenance.

And, it depends on who runs the course. Just as some people are very involved in their home yards, some people want their business to have nice plantlife through and through. Just don't jack up my greens fees $10 to pay for it.

As for the public clubhouse, clean and sparse gets high marks from me: A clean snack bar, decent plumbing, and absence of moldy smell. Mold infestation can create major problems for otherwise nice older clubhouses.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I refuse to play any golf course.........unless the parking lot is well manicured!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

So I guess no one so far lives with a Certified New England  Flower Show Judge.

I do.

And since I play about 85% of my rounds with her, I can tell you it adds about  one half hour to my total "Golfing Experience" for the entire day, and it starts at the parking lot and Clubhouse. I don't really care that the ( Place any Latin Term you wish here ) plant needs more Nitrogen...

I guess I probably do also!

What does that have to do with why we're loading up  a golf Cart? Oh, Really they are infested with ( Place any Latin Term you wish here ) bugs? Who cares, they live out side. Yes dear, I won't get any one me...

Sweetest,  Yes, you've explained to me that Plant Selection, Orientation, Presentation and possibly Mitigation (?) are all very important, but what does that have to do with our club selection??? We're both in the Fairway.... way over there!

And then, when she goes on a business trip she'll remind me that if one particular house plant starts to wilt a little bit all the others need watering too.

I'm really wanting to ask if I can use boiling water. (Just kidding!)

Well it's time to go out and cut the grass. She's got plants out side that I need to be carefull of...

"To mow, or not to mow. That is the question"...

~Tom B.

I ordered a Chicken and an Egg on the Internet, to find out which came first... I'll keep you posted!

Note: This thread is 3839 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!