IGNORED

Advice For This Tee Box

Royster1984
Note: This thread is 3867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Swing hard in case you hit it.

:-D

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have just realised that I recognise that hole, and I have played it a few times.

At stroke index 1, even low single digit golfers get a shot, so I would dismiss any idea of a Par.

The biggest landing zone is going over the small bush and up towards the yellow bullet point on your diagram, from memory I would not think that your 5 wood is going to get to the fence. Yes you will be a long way from the green and its OOB all the way down the left but at least you are up on the top level. Two or even three sensible shots should get you on the green from there. The adjacent fairway is a great deal lower and the trees do not help so there is no point in trying to cut the corner and going down there.

Just played it again this afternoon and got a bit more info. I think this guy has summed it up. Looking at the fence on the back it seems a little further than I first guessed the carry over the valley is 140 and I think the back fence is more like 210-220. So I can safely hit the 5 Wood. I played it like this today but sadly I got right under the ball with my 5 Wood and ended up near the trees in the valley on the right. Still was an improvement over 5 of the tee and finished with a 7 after some bad putting.

I am going to try playing it this way for a few days and see how it works out. Hopefully will make it a bit more consistent.
Thanks for all the replies.

Anth

I'll give you the other option. Use driver, swing hard, just make good contact and aim left side of fairway and let it fade in.  =)

thats what most people do on it, but sadly I wack mine out of bounds alot, 5w seems to working good now. Gonna work up to driver over time i think :D

Are you more accurate/consistent with your 3W or 5W? If so, play one of them. You're a 24 hcp. That's a 2 stroke hole for you. Play it as a par 5 and take net birdie all day long! Even a double wont kill you on a tough hole like that. The key for you is to keep the really big number (triple or worse) off the card.

Just curious, how long is the course from the tees you're playing? That's a long par 4 for a relatively high handicap player.....

I agree with David, excellent advice. Make sure you are playing from the appropriate tee for your current skill level.

As for the hooking problem on this bad boy, make sure that your nervousness isn't translating into a TIGHT grip. And if the sight of all the trouble out in front of you gets you a little psyched out, try something that helps me. Stand behind the ball and look down the fairway and select the target where you want the ball to go allowing for your flight characteristic. Look for the line the ball will take to get to that point and pick a spot out in front of your tee'd ball that you can use for alignment that you want the ball to pass over on the way out to your target.  Ok, now go up and take your stance and align yourself to that point a few feet out in front of the ball and imagine your shot. DO NOT LOOK UP AT ALL OF THE HAZARDS AND TROUBLE AND OB AND ALL THAT, just look at that spot out in front of your tee'd ball and then take your swing and put the ball right over that spot you picked out.

This lttle pre-shot routine has really helped me get over some of the difficult shots that I come across out on the course. Focus on the shot and the target, not the trouble.

Good luck -

In the Bag

Driver - Taylormade R1 Black

FW - Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 15* 3-Metal

FW - Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 18* 5-Metal

Irons - Ping G15 4i-UW

Wedge - Ping Anser 54* SW

Wedge - Ping Tour-S 60* LW

Putter - Ping Anser 4

Ball - Top Flight D2+ Feel

Rangefinder - Callaway/Nikon LR550

Since I started the thread I've been going between a 3w and 5w depending on the wind direction and it seems to be working alot better than it wwas before I made the thread. My scores for last days are as follow 6,5,6,7 which isn't great but it is improving and its SI one so if I can get that down to a 5 average I would be more than happy.

If you average 5 you are doing better than most.

According to the course website the hole averages 5.79 off the White Tees and 5.97 from the yellow.

I am not sure how they get their statistics, but out of 8410 rounds from the whites there have been 792 pars, 3013 bogies, and 4578 double bogies or worse.

Well playing it as a 3 shot hole and getting in play is much better than hitting 3 from the tee.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you average 5 you are doing better than most.

According to the course website the hole averages 5.79 off the White Tees and 5.97 from the yellow.

I am not sure how they get their statistics, but out of 8410 rounds from the whites there have been 792 pars, 3013 bogies, and 4578 double bogies or worse.

I dont average 5 yet :D more like a 7/8 or so at the minute, But I am hoping I can get my average down to somewere near 5-5.5 over time, we all need something to aim for :D.

They get there data from tournament's entered through howdidido.

Note: This thread is 3867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!