IGNORED

Inconsistent contact and no distance on my irons

RFKFREAK
Note: This thread is 3857 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It sounds like you have gotten some solid advice.  Over the last year I have taken quite a few lessons,not even sure how many but for a while it was weekly so I would guess over twenty.  One of the things that struck me before too long was that the skills my instructor was having me work on build on each other.  In other words, I had to gain some proficiency in one skill before it was worth trying to work on the next.  If felt really slow for a while, then things started clicking together and my scores started coming down.  In your first post you mentioned that you didn't feel like the pro was tailoring anything to you particularly.  This is likely because he was starting at the beginning, a place he's started at with various people many times most likely.  I don't think you can expect to see a lot of real instruction tailoring until you have gotten past the basics.  The good news is that if you practice your putting and pitching some along the way, you will be shooting around 90 pretty consistently by that time!

I have no doubt that you are correct.

Funny story - I went to the range today and while I was getting to the range, I saw the instructor I took a lesson from and the head instructor and mentioned that I had gotten some advice to flare my feet and the head instructor asked how much I had paid for that advice and said that I should only listen to the guy I took the lesson from since I was paying him.  Thought it was rather dumb since no one person has every answer so I just chuckled and left to hit balls.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have no doubt that you are correct.

Funny story - I went to the range today and while I was getting to the range, I saw the instructor I took a lesson from and the head instructor and mentioned that I had gotten some advice to flare my feet and the head instructor asked how much I had paid for that advice and said that I should only listen to the guy I took the lesson from since I was paying him.  Thought it was rather dumb since no one person has every answer so I just chuckled and left to hit balls.

So, was he implying it was bad advice or...?

I suppose instructors get annoyed at having their students take advice from random know-nothings but if it's so bad it causes them to make tool statements like that then wow, find a new line of work or something.

So, was he implying it was bad advice or...?

I suppose instructors get annoyed at having their students take advice from random know-nothings but if it's so bad it causes them to make tool statements like that then wow, find a new line of work or something.

No, he was implying that I shouldn't listen to advice from some random person and that there's a reason why I'm paying an instructor.  Thought it was kind of dumb since no one person has the market cornered on the golf swing.

Hey, I uploaded a video in my swing thread from today  If you get a chance, please check it out and let me know your thoughts.

Christian

This is interesting because I'm also 37 but about 5'9 and 145 pounds and I used to think I would never hit the ball far because I'm not some hulking behemoth.  I couldn't have been more wrong, and judging by your distances I'm currently beating you with basically every single club.     The point here is don't get caught up with what you think you should be doing and just learn how to hit the ball.

This happened to me. I was always the kid in baseball who could hit the ball wherever I wanted...but never over the fence. Golf seems to be the COMPLETE opposite. My accuracy is....ok....but when I started I had no idea how far I should be hitting so I printed out this and put it in my bag. These numbers are based on average amateurs apparently.

Club Men Women
Driver 200-230-260 150-175-200
3-wood 180-215-235 125-150-180
5-wood 170-195-210 105-135-170
2-iron 170-195-210 105-135-170
3-iron 160-180-200 100-125-160
4-iron 150-170-185 90-120-150
5-iron 140-160-170 80-110-140
6-iron 130-150-160 70-100-130
7-iron 120-140-150 65-90-120
8-iron 110-130-140 60-80-110
9-iron 95-115-130 55-70-95
PW 80-105-120 50-60-80
SW 60-80-100 40-50-60

I've found that I've been consistently hitting 10 yards further than the last men's number...with everything except for driver and woods that is. I didn't expect that to happen at all...especially with my horrid form. You just have to find that sweet spot and hit it again and again and again. In fact my 7 iron is starting to show a little white ball mark in the sweet spot :)

ANYWAY I digress. Back on topic.

RFK, I haven't been golfing that long so I probably shouldn't be given much advice...however I've watched the pros religiously for awhile. Your stance reminds me a lot of Carl Pettersson's. You have a similar build and his swing is fun to watch. So flawless. I'd take a good eye on what he's doing.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

This happened to me. I was always the kid in baseball who could hit the ball wherever I wanted...but never over the fence. Golf seems to be the COMPLETE opposite. My accuracy is....ok....but when I started I had no idea how far I should be hitting so I printed out this and put it in my bag. These numbers are based on average amateurs apparently.  I've found that I've been consistently hitting 10 yards further than the last men's number...with everything except for driver and woods that is. I didn't expect that to happen at all...especially with my horrid form. You just have to find that sweet spot and hit it again and again and again. In fact my 7 iron is starting to show a little white ball mark in the sweet spot :) ANYWAY I digress. Back on topic. RFK, I haven't been golfing that long so I probably shouldn't be given much advice...however I've watched the pros religiously for awhile. Your stance reminds me a lot of Carl Pettersson's. You have a similar build and his swing is fun to watch. So flawless. I'd take a good eye on what he's doing.

Just saw a vid on his swing and it seems he adds a step to get his downswing on the correct plane. Not sure I want to make it harder on myself. Haha

Christian

If you are not going to take lessons then I recommend buying Hogan's book,  Fundamentals of Golf, just to get a baseline and some clarity of what is "right". Just going out and swinging away without having direction (or right direction) will not inspire any confidence. You will never know what you are doing right or wrong for that matter. Hogan may not be perfect but he had a pretty good handle on the golf swing and it is an easy read. The confidence of knowing the correct steps to the golf swing well help you to swing with conviction and after that it is practice, practice and more practice.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I wish two things for you:

1. Try what feels like 1/2 or 3/4 backswings. The paradox is that you very likely will hit the ball farther with what feels like a half swing.

2. Slow down. Control your backswing and feel like you are getting yourself in the right positions. Try slow motion as practice. And then try really slow (feels slower than it will be) backswings with a feeling of a pause at the top.

If nothing else, a shorter and slower swing will let you and your instructor see what happening easier.

Earlier today, I tried the drill below that I found in a different thread and was getting around 110 yards with my 7 iron.  When I tried to transition it to a full swing, I didn't get back to the impact position.  Guess I have to focus on that a bit more.

Work on your grip when you're NOT at the range or the course - while watching TV, etc. It helps to ingrain the new habit. Set your grip and then release, set and release, always paying attention to exactly what you are doing. If you find it's boring and your mind starts to wander, shake it off and start over.

Grip is feeling more and more comfortable.  Don't really feel like I have an issue with it anymore.

It's too bad it's at the end of the season and after Oct/ early November, I won't be able to get back out there until March or so.

I like this instructor I took a lesson with last Friday; he seems patient.  I went to the range Tuesday, yesterday, and today and I'm playing at an outing with some friends on Saturday and might get a round in on Sunday.  I'm' getting a golf net for my back yard this weekend (belated birthday gift) and hoping to be able to get a lesson with him next week so hoping to see some improvement.

Christian

Note: This thread is 3857 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!