IGNORED

Hybrid Icing in the NHL

iacas
Note: This thread is 3853 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Hybrid Icing (2013 NHL Pre-Season) - Keep it or Go Back to Traditional Icing?

• Keep Hybrid Icing
    • Revert to Traditional Icing

• Administrator

I see this first and foremost a safety issue, but also helps to "speed" up the game (like hockey needs speeding up).  Time is wasted in chasing down a puck that will ultimately be called icing and a face off.  Make the call sooner, no one gets hurt and time is spent on playing the game.  A little like the intentional walk in baseball, time wasted throwing four balls to the plate.

Plus, that little bit of time will make it tougher for the icing team to recover. It might be a few seconds, but they can be important.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im fine with hybrid icing.  Racing to the endboards for the puck presents considerable risk of injury.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

don't like it at all...but sounds like just another in a long line of Bettman miscues to drive away the traditional hockey fans.  This is very minor comparatively...so why not?

Driver: :cobra: Amp Cell Blue

Fairway: :cobra: Amp Cell 4 Wood

Hybrid: :cobra: Amp Cell 3H

Irons: :cobra: Amp Cell (4-GW)

Wedge: :titleist: Vokey SM4 60*

Putter: Seemore PCB - Nickel

Ball: :bridgestone: e6

As you can tell by my name, I am a Carolia Hurricanes fan, and we lost our best D-man for the season due to an injury suffered last April in a race for the puck in a meaningless game. I would take this a step further, and go to no touch icing. This takes all judgement away from the linesman. All in all, if this rule will prevent injuries, I can live with some bad calls.

don't like it at all...but sounds like just another in a long line of Bettman miscues to drive away the traditional hockey fans.  This is very minor comparatively...so why not?

Let me guess, you don't like visors either? Why don't we bring back hits to the head, too? Plenty of guys want to play in the NHL, so who cares if we maim a few, right?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

As you can tell by my name, I am a Carolia Hurricanes fan, and we lost our best D-man for the season due to an injury suffered last April in a race for the puck in a meaningless game. I would take this a step further, and go to no touch icing. This takes all judgement away from the linesman. All in all, if this rule will prevent injuries, I can live with some bad calls.

I feel like its only a matter of time before we have no-touch icing.  Id like to see the mandate full cages too, not just visors.  I know that a lot of people dont like the idea of players wearing cages but to me, hockey players not wearing cages but college hockey mandates it and you see far fewer injuries from players getting hit in the face with sticks or pucks.

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

• Administrator
I would rather have no touch than hybrid. I am noy a fan of judgement calls.

I believe they only judge them when they're obvious.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yep. If the offensive player is in the lead, or they're close, the play continues normally.

what/who determines if they are close? I would think the linesman does?  in doing so he is using his judgement hence a judgement call lol

what/who determines if they are close? I would think the linesman does?  in doing so he is using his judgement hence a judgement call lol

Yes, linesmen. I think you will always have judgement calls in hockey. I'm not against giving refs and linesmen the latitude to use their judgement, I do however wish NHL officiating wasn't so ****ing piss poor in general. Seriously, the worst officiating in all of pro sports, and by a LARGE margin.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator

There are far more relevant judgment calls in hockey.

If it's not close, the offensive player is not going to win the race 99.99999999% of the time. So this is a particularly pointless argument you're making. If they're close at all, even if the defensive player is still going to win 95% of the time, they let the play continue. It's only when it's obvious that they blow it dead.

How about whether a puck that is possibly icing was "receivable" by a player. That's a judgment call that is far more error prone than the calls with which you're taking issue.

I would rather have no touch than hybrid. I am noy a fan of judgement calls.

Traditional icing is already a judgment call, so it's a wash in my eyes.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Yes, linesmen.

I think you will always have judgement calls in hockey.

I'm not against giving refs and linesmen the latitude to use their judgement, I do however wish NHL officiating wasn't so ****ing piss poor in general. Seriously, the worst officiating in all of pro sports, and by a LARGE margin.

Id contend the NFL and NCAA football refs are much worse.  At least in hockey they TRY to get it right, even if they overturn the call.  I can think of a couple recent instances in football where they screwed up, it was obvious they screwed up and the refs refused to make it right or even review it.

• Administrator
lol the great Erik has spoken it must be correct then.

It's a discussion. If you can't contribute - whether you agree or not I couldn't care less - then shut up. As it relates to icing, I think you're making a pointless argument. That's my opinion, but it's based on the absurdity (opinion again) of your statements in this thread. It does not appear that you've watched any of the pre-season games and have proof of any instance in which the judgment call may have gone wrong. You've seemingly written off an entire concept - with several layers of pros and cons - with the incredibly shallow " I am noy [sic] a fan of judgement [sic] calls. "

Man up and discuss, or shut up, because the only thing "the great Erik has spoken" accomplishes is displaying that you're not capable of thinking at an adult level and need to revert to childish drivel when someone disagrees with you.

yes you are correct it is a discussion. in post 4 and 5 the new rule was explained by boil3rmak3r and yourself. it s still be a judgement call maybe not all the time but, it still can be. I have learned many things from this forum. sadly one of them is that in your mind your opinion is the only one that's counts. you talk about being a adult and say bite me? lol  a childish comeback indeed!

Note: This thread is 3853 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!