IGNORED

My Swing (RFKFREAK)

RFKFREAK

Do you mean with my 3W or the iron (which was a 6I).

Sorry, the 3w. I commented about it on the other thread and for some reason assumed you knew what I meant. You still move your head forward with the 6i, though.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sorry, the 3w. I commented about it on the other thread and for some reason assumed you knew what I meant.

You still move your head forward with the 6i, though.

Yeah, I figured that's what you meant but wanted to make sure.

@mvmac do you have any suggestions for not moving my head while I work on Key #2 or is that an acceptable amount of head movement?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Yep, better for sure. Keep working on getting that left shoulder down and under the chin.

Also, would thinking about this on the backswing while working on Key 2 be a good thing or should I note work on Key 2 until I've mastered Key 1?

Christian

Yeah, I figured that's what you meant but wanted to make sure.

@mvmac do you have any suggestions for not moving my head while I work on Key #2 or is that an acceptable amount of head movement?

The drill I posted on the 3 wood thread, with the stick close to the head.

Also, would thinking about this on the backswing while working on Key 2 be a good thing or should I note work on Key 2 until I've mastered Key 1?

For you I think it would. Also couldn't hurt to have the left knee flex inward some more on the backswing.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I don't have any alignment sticks or old driver shafts but buying two alignment sticks and taping them together should suffice, right? If I want to try this indoors would you recommend anything other than propping an alignment stick so that is parallel to the floor and around the height of my head? [quote name="mvmac" url="/t/70159/my-swing-rfkfreak/0_100#post_1083493"]For you I think it would. Also couldn't hurt to have the left knee flex inward some more on the backswing. [/quote] I'm probably going to sound like a fool but I want to make sure I understand you correctly, inward as in towards the camera on the FO view and not as in closer to my back knee, right?

Christian

I don't have any alignment sticks or old driver shafts but buying two alignment sticks and taping them together should suffice, right?

If I want to try this indoors would you recommend anything other than propping an alignment stick so that is parallel to the floor and around the height of my head?

You can also go to Home Depot and get some drive way markers for a couple bucks.

At home you can practice in front of a mirror, with your head beside a door frame or a halfway corner.

I'm probably going to sound like a fool but I want to make sure I understand you correctly, inward as in towards the camera on the FO view and not as in closer to my back knee, right?

Sorry, inward as in moving to your right, towards the center of your stance. Your left knee stays "bowed" out.

Mike McLoughlin

You can also go to Home Depot and get some drive way markers for a couple bucks. At home you can practice in front of a mirror, with your head beside a door frame or a halfway corner.  Sorry, inward as in moving to your right, towards the center of your stance. Your left knee stays "bowed" out. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/110212/] [/URL]

Sweet, thanks. It's supposed to start snowing soon and be on and off until Friday so outdoors won't really be an option, haha. Thanks again!

Christian

• 3 weeks later...

If memory serves me right, you tend to get the head going forward on the downswing. This leads you to not have enough second axis tilt and for the club to swing down and across too much. Make sure to set-up with some axis tilt (hips bumped forward a little) and keep them forward during your swing with the head remaining steady.

Hey, @mvmac , finally got a chance to do this drill and wanted to see if you thought I was doing it correctly or if there was something I missed.

Christian

Hey, @mvmac , finally got a chance to do this drill and wanted to see if you thought I was doing it correctly or if there was something I missed.

This is actually the same piece I am working on.. Not an easy one so be patient. One comment though about your set up, seems to me that you could have your knees turned a little more outwords during setup (ie a little bow legged, feel as though you are riding a horse) and this will make the left knee transition in the bs a little easier, it will make the pivot much smoother and just ease everything else. Also, see if you can add a couple slow motion attempts at the drill to try and map things before going at it, like a one two map and then do what you did in the video. Looking good though I have to admit!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

This is actually the same piece I am working on.. Not an easy one so be patient. One comment though about your set up, seems to me that you could have your knees turned a little more outwords during setup (ie a little bow legged, feel as though you are riding a horse) and this will make the left knee transition in the bs a little easier, it will make the pivot much smoother and just ease everything else. Also, see if you can add a couple slow motion attempts at the drill to try and map things before going at it, like a one two map and then do what you did in the video. Looking good though I have to admit!

Thanks! Here's a video I took after doing the drill. [VIDEO]http://youtu.be/jR1ZGFaV4d0[/VIDEO]

Christian

Drill looks pretty good. Just make sure the left knee still has some flex as you rehearse the downswing (drill swing as well). This will help with your tendency to keep a decent amount of weight back on that right foot. Keep up the good work though, the overall picture is looking better.

Left knee is too straight.

Mike McLoughlin

Drill looks pretty good. Just make sure the left knee still has some flex as you rehearse the downswing (drill swing as well). This will help with your tendency to keep a decent amount of weight back on that right foot. Keep up the good work though, the overall picture is looking better.

Left knee is too straight.

Thanks.

I noticed when I played yesterday that I don't get much height when I hit the driver.  Do you think it's because I keep too much weight on my back foot?  Is that something you can tell from the video I posted from the other day or should I take a video of me hitting my driver to get a better sense?

Christian

Thanks.

I noticed when I played yesterday that I don't get much height when I hit the driver.  Do you think it's because I keep too much weight on my back foot?

Yes when the weight is back it doesn't give you the ability to extend the legs and hip on the downswing/followthrough. You also have a tendency to move the head too far forward, will also contribute to launching the ball lower.

Mike McLoughlin

Yes when the weight is back it doesn't give you the ability to extend the legs and hip on the downswing/followthrough. You also have a tendency to move the head too far forward, will also contribute to launching the ball lower.

Well, I'm hoping to keep working on the drill you shared with two alignment sticks to try and stop my head from moving too far forward.

Is it safe to say that extending my legs and hip at contact with more of my weight being forward can be best achieved by pushing my hips forward?

Christian

Is it safe to say that extending my legs and hip at contact with more of my weight being forward can be best achieved by pushing my hips forward?

Yes, I agree with that.

Mike McLoughlin

Yes, I agree with that.

Cool.

I found this video from some internet instructor that no one has probably ever heard of and it couldn't possibly help but I'm willing to give anything a try. :whistle:

I think the guy on the left and I are facing similar issues. :-\

Christian

So, I've been doing mirror work focusing on trying to get my hips forward while creating a secondary axis tilt (I think that's the right usage) and getting my weight forward while not moving my head.

When creating the secondary axis tilt, as i try and keep my head still and shift the hips forward, I'm not sure I'm getting enough weight on my front foot and I was wondering if there was some way of determining that enough weight is on the front foot.

I'm hoping to post a video later this week but though it might be a good idea to ask first before practicing this drill outdoors.

Christian

• 4 weeks later...