IGNORED

My Swing (RFKFREAK)

RFKFREAK

So, I've developed a slice and went to the range with @colin007 today and he was kind enough to take some video for me.

I've decided to overhaul my swing with a particular focus on making a strong shoulder turn. Β it feels weird right now but that's what I'd expect since I'm moving my body in a way I haven't done before. Β I know it's ugly but I think this is probably the way to go.

I was hoping to get some thoughts/opinions.

Thanks!

Christian

:tmade::titleist:Β  :leupold:Β  :aimpoint:Β :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had to look in slo mo, but in the front view it looks like your club head is winning the race a little bit, and you're coming in a little too steep so where your ball is your club path looks like it has passed the tangent of the target line and is moving slightly outside in. Your balance looks off after your follow through, probably caused by trying to save the shot. This happens to me when I do that. I'd also use a little forward shaft lean in my set up. On your downswing we usually return the club to the original shaft plane, and usually to the original position. You have a back leaning shaft which can open the club face. Try a forward leaning shaft which can close the club face.

I'd work with 1/2 to 3/4 swings for a while, and work on your primary piece, making solid contact with the ball. Remember to drive your weight forward with your back leg. Watch Robert Rock's set up and swing.

Julia

:callaway:Β Β :cobra:Β Β Β Β :seemore:Β Β :bushnell:Β  :clicgear:Β Β :adidas:Β Β :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree;Β 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5Β degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I had to look in slo mo, but in the front view it looks like your club head is winning the race a little bit, and you're coming in a little too steep so where your ball is your club path looks like it has passed the tangent of the target line and is moving slightly outside in. Your balance looks off after your follow through, probably caused by trying to save the shot. This happens to me when I do that. I'd also use a little forward shaft lean in my set up. On your downswing we usually return the club to the original shaft plane, and usually to the original position. You have a back leaning shaft which can open the club face. Try a forward leaning shaft which can close the club face.

I'd work with 1/2 to 3/4 swings for a while, and work on your primary piece, making solid contact with the ball. Remember to drive your weight forward with your back leg. Watch Robert Rock's set up and swing.

Yeah, I'm definitely off balance and I noticed also that my front shoulder is once again crashing into my head on the back swing.Β  For the life of me, I just can't stop doing that!

Christian

The left shoulder into the chin isn't critical.

Notice how Lexi Thompson stays in balance and maintains a steady head regardless of doing that. Her head turns to her right a bit, but that's fine. It's caused by her massive shoulder turn. She can make that kind of shoulder turn because she has everything else under control through years of and tens of thousands of hours of practice and playing, plus a hell of a lot of talent.

You don't need to make that massive of a shoulder turn to hit a long shot. I think you can hit a more controlled shot with a 3/4 backswing. This is what my pro told me to do. It did not affect my distance. See when you and I go to a 3/4 backswing, unlike the pros we'll come closer to a full backswing, and less of an overswing.

Julia

:callaway:Β Β :cobra:Β Β Β Β :seemore:Β Β :bushnell:Β  :clicgear:Β Β :adidas:Β Β :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree;Β 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5Β degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

The left shoulder into the chin isn't critical.

Notice how Lexi Thompson stays in balance and maintains a steady head regardless of doing that. Her head turns to her right a bit, but that's fine. It's caused by her massive shoulder turn. She can make that kind of shoulder turn because she has everything else under control through years of and tens of thousands of hours of practice and playing, plus a hell of a lot of talent.

You don't need to make that massive of a shoulder turn to hit a long shot. I think you can hit a more controlled shot with a 3/4 backswing. This is what my pro told me to do. It did not affect my distance. See when you and I go to a 3/4 backswing, unlike the pros we'll come closer to a full backswing, and less of an overswing.

Oh, I totally didn't feel in control at all but yesterday I figured it was a good place to start from.

@colin007 was also of the opinion that I need to shorten the backswing.

Christian

Oh, I totally didn't feel in control at all but yesterday I figured it was a good place to start from. @colin007 was also of the opinion that I need to shorten the backswing.

Yeah but remember how short you had to feel that swing was to actually shorten it? I wish I had filmed those practice swings with the 1/4 swing feel.

Colin P.

Yeah but remember how short you had to feel that swing was to actually shorten it? I wish I had filmed those practice swings with the 1/4 swing feel.

You mean when it didn't feel like I had brought the club back at all? :-$

Also, remember we were discussing my front knee and how it goes.Β  I found this pocking around the site that pretty much agrees with your train of thoughts.

Christian

You mean when it didn't feel like I had brought the club back at all? :-$ Also, remember we were discussing my front knee and how it goes.Β  I found this pocking around the site that pretty much agrees with your train of thoughts. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/132680/] [/URL]

Yes!! That explains exactly what I was trying to ineptly explain and demonstrate.

Colin P.

Yes!! That explains exactly what I was trying to ineptly explain and demonstrate.

I'm guessing that letting that knee collapse inwards like you do makes controlling the bottom of your swing very difficult.

Colin P.

I've done this already a few times since I've been home. Β It's a lot harder to do than you would think when you're used to doing it another way, haha.

I'm guessing that letting that knee collapse inwards like you do makes controlling the bottom of your swing very difficult.

Hmm, that, along with the multitude of other things I do incorrectly ;-)

Christian

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin007

I do a similar Babe Ruth thing with my lead knee on my backswing, but not as pronounced. What's working for me is to exaggerate bowing my legs. Feel like I'm sitting on a horse. That left knee stays like the pic above. I don't always do it when my swing speeds up, but I'm getting more consistent at it. Β Just an idea.

My Swing

Driver:Β :ping:Β G30, Irons:Β :tmade:Β Burner 2.0, Putter:Β :cleveland:, Balls:Β :snell:

I do a similar Babe Ruth thing with my lead knee on my backswing, but not as pronounced. What's working for me is to exaggerate bowing my legs. Feel like I'm sitting on a horse. That left knee stays like the pic above. I don't always do it when my swing speeds up, but I'm getting more consistent at it. Β Just an idea.

Yeah, I think exaggeration is a good way to help ingrain a move until it's second nature.

Christian

I watched your videos and would like to offer some non golf advice and more atheltical wisdom. Motions in sports are dynamic with fluidity and transition your knee bending thing before you hit the ball is killing any chance for that maybe it's a habit or just you but it can be unlearned. I will never be able to throw a 100 mph fastball or dunk a basketball it's out of my physical limitations however I can copy and aspire their motions into what I have. If your a good bowler or dart player or something use your skills in that area towards golf. You can get better even if your an average athlete kinda like a rpg video game here is your stats. You see what i'm saying work on skills maybe try dribbling a basketball left handed or skateboarding to improve balance you can improve your weakness good luck.

(RFkRFREAK

ATHLETICISM + 15

PUTTING +75

CHIPPING +36

CLUTCH FACTOR +50

FLOPSTILE: +58 ENERFLUZE: +32.78 FLUXCAPACITY: +23.3145 GLUTES: Stunning
  • Upvote 3

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

FLOPSTILE: +58

ENERFLUZE: +32.78

FLUXCAPACITY: +23.3145

GLUTES: Stunning

Shouldn't glutes read "activating" ?

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 1 month later...

I've been pushing my driver lately (which is way better than the hook I had earlier this year) so took some video today ofΒ a few swings from my round today.

Driver FO.

Driver, DTL.

9I, FO.

7I DTL

Christian

• Administrator

The stance is too wide, and the trail knee extends prematurely in the backswing. Both of those make it difficult for you to get forward properly - look at your finish position and you'll see your weight is still back.

1.thumb.jpg.faec3c8c49b3ff185323cb0b54b72.thumb.jpg.0f8d5bc4dcda7a4300a4be40a5fe

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets