IGNORED

Help with losing my temper

looseleftie
Note: This thread is 3746 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I actually disagree with the statement about Tiger and his anger. Its Tiger's inner drive and relentless determination to be the best that makes him great. I've watched him many times now and when he's not on its a pretty joyless experience to watch him play golf. I believe he walks a tightrope with his attitude and a few bad shots and for me he's a bad example for an amateur golfer to emulate on the course. None of us who are out past a 5 handicap and even more should look at Tiger for on course attitude not unless you are super talented and plan on golf being your job. Phil Mickelson is the perfect pro to emulate. To be that laid back at the level he is playing at. Amateur golfers would serve themselves very well indeed the more you can slip into the mindset in that kind of way where you enjoy everything you can about your round.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

I actually disagree with the statement about Tiger and his anger. Its Tiger's inner drive and relentless determination to be the best that makes him great. I've watched him many times now and when he's not on its a pretty joyless experience to watch him play golf. I believe he walks a tightrope with his attitude and a few bad shots and for me he's a bad example for an amateur golfer to emulate on the course. None of us who are out past a 5 handicap and even more should look at Tiger for on course attitude not unless you are super talented and plan on golf being your job. Phil Mickelson is the perfect pro to emulate. To be that laid back at the level he is playing at. Amateur golfers would serve themselves very well indeed the more you can slip into the mindset in that kind of way where you enjoy everything you can about your round.

Agreed, but some of us are hoping its our job

Anger is an important part of golf. Will make you great but you just need to make sure you recollect. Tiger accepts his anger and after he fumes he is on to the next shot

Could be a holdover from the Harmon days. Butch has a thing he calls the "10-Yard Rule." Be as mad and fuming as you want after the shot (within reason of course; don't tomahawk your driver at your playing partner), but once you're ten yards from the spot of the bad shot, move one. Could be Tiger still adheres to that.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I deal with this a lot when it comes to coaching the high school golf team. It helps that I have a lot of experience myself with it as I used to have a nasty temper. Anger is a result of something failing to meet your expectations, so you must expect you are going to play every hole well or to a certain ability. When that expectation fails miserably like it can in golf especially the temper can kick in. I had to change my expectations to no expectations at all, play the hole and move on to the next. If the shot goes bad it's a chance to excel or try something different and if it goes really bad that hole wasn't meant to be for the day and I move on. I will do a quick club pound on the ground after a bad shot or mutter a curse but the minute I put the club back in the bag it's all about the next shot. I play with no expectations of a certain score and whatever the scorecard says at the end is what it says. I keep track of my stats so if something happened during the round I can go out and work on it after the fact.

It's also about keeping it in perspective, even the pros make mistakes, it's golf. We are also human, we make mistakes! I actually laugh at my bad shots now but it has taken a while to reach this point. It has really made a big difference in the mental side of the game. It is definitely one of those easier said than done tasks ahead of you but well worth working through it.

I've learned to enjoy the entire golfing experience (golf course view, meeting new people,  just being out there healthy, ...) rather than focusing on improving.  You may want to focus more on the overall experience rather than just each shot.

Keep reminding yourself that golf is a game we play to relax, not to get stressed.   If you must stress yourself, go get married (if you are single), get a second job, drive behind an old lady on 75 MPH highway stretch, watch CNN & Fox news at the same time, order pizza for pickup to one store and show up on another (I did this today), ..., well, you get the idea.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

• 3 months later...

As for anger management, our emotions are driven by how we picture things in our mind.  Change the picture and you change your emotion.  What are you picturing in your mind when you erupt?  Most who have anger issues place far too much importance on outcomes and as a result are very controlling.  The way to gain control is to let go of it consciously.  I represented Bruce Crampton for many years.  Bruce is an Australian HOF player who won 7 times in his rookie season on the Champions Tour.  I had him on my public radio show to discuss that feat and how he achieved it.  His total commitment to positive thinking and mastering visualization were the key factors in his performance.  Find a simple motion that will put the ball in play right where you want it.  That doesn't mean 500 yard 9 irons.  It means within your given stature and ability.  If you can hit your longest shot only 200 yards but can land it in a area the size of a two car garage every time, who's going to beat you?  No one.  Don't punish yourself for being human.  Get proactive about how you think.  Ask yourself all day every day, what positive benefit am I getting out of doing this or thinking this way?  By keeping yourself positive and seeking out simple solutions you will be on your way to success in all you do.  As for putting, this is what has worked with tour players I know; for any putt over 10 feet in length aim for a kiddie pool, i.e. a 5 foot circle surrounding the cup.  Get the ball in that circle leaves you a 2 1/2 putt.  You will soon eliminate 3 putts by doing this.  If you need help on taking control of your thinking my book "Winning Thinking" can be a great value.  The stuff in that book literally saved my life.  Keep smiling and hit 'em straight! ;-)

Note: This thread is 3746 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!