• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CuriousCanadian

"Glen"

5 posts in this topic

Hey,

I'm from Ontario, Canada and driving around I see a lot of golf courses all over Ontario.

I was wondering if anyone could help me answer this?

Why is the name "Glen" used so often in the names of the courses?? (eg. Glen Abbey, Heather Glen, Watson Glen, Angus Glen )

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

All I know about Canada is that it's north of us and colder than it is here and ya'll like ice hockey as much as we like football.

My guess would be that since a glen is a glacial valley and I think the name originated in Scotland (or somewhere in the British Isles) it fits for a golf course.

I would guess (similarly to MS) that it has to do with golf's origins being in Scotland and the term being used there often to describe an area.  Look at the names of Scotch whiskey products: Glen Livet is on the Livet river.  Glen X is in the X forest.  Glen Y is on the Y lake, etc.

As noted above, Scottish Gaelic word "glen" means a valley.  Just like "loch" is a lake, "ben" is a mountain, and, of course, "uisge" is whisky.

It first started with the man who invented golf, Glen McDougan, who was a nobleman in ancient Scotland. The game began as he was playing croquet, and instead of a nice easy hit, he drove the ball out of sheer madness, then realized he would rather do that...

Actually, the answers above make more sense. Lets stick with those. :)