IGNORED

Range Finders

clutchshot
Note: This thread is 3642 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So all my big golf friends say I have to use a range finder when playing golf. I guess I have always enjoyed the feeling of grabbing the right club for the right shot based on my own judgement, just seems like part of the game to me. I get I could hit more greens if I used one, but still.... I'll leave it to the experts of this site.... You guys absolutely always use ranger finders?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do, but I played for 40+ years without one. Nice to have, but certainly not mandatory.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm certainly no expert but I played for several years without a GPS or range finder and actually never looked for yardage markers very often. I just went by what I saw.

I eventually got a GPS and now I'm spoiled and really don't want to play without it. I'm not sure how many strokes a round it saves me but I'm sure it's at least a few. It not only gives me a better chance at choosing the right club but without a doubt I make a more confident swing and trust it more.

I've thought about getting a range finder but so far I haven't seen an advantage to it over my GPS. Some of my playing partners have range finders and they usually come up with the same distance that I do (give or take a few yards occasionally) and if there is no line of sight they often ask me what I've got.

I would like to have one for use in ranging my partial wedges and short irons.

Other times useful:

• Cartpath only days. Too much guessing for on-cart GPS distances converted with angle extrapolation and pacing.
  • Playing a new course with lots of dips and roll. If the cup is cut behind a mound, I often overestimate how far the shot is (flag stick looks shorter), and fly my approach over the green.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I've got one and I love it.  The course I play most often is pretty well marked, so I only use it when I really need it.  Things like forced carries or layups, how much to cover the bunker, etc.  But when I do need it, I am really glad I have it.

I have one and use it most of the time even on my regular course (as they move the pin around). My distance to the pin in GIR has seen a significant improvement with the range finder.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I use a Skycaddie SG5 and feel like I'm missing something if I don't have it.  I played 20+ years without one, but now that I have one I prefer using one.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I've used a range finder for 3 years now. For me, it is a confidence thing. Because I've used it for a while now, i now know how far I hit my clubs. It is also very beneficial to get a distance when your drive ends up 30 yds into the rough or when you have a partial wedge inside of 100 yds.

So all my big golf friends say I have to use a range finder when playing golf.

I guess I have always enjoyed the feeling of grabbing the right club for the right shot based on my own judgement, just seems like part of the game to me. I get I could hit more greens if I used one, but still....

I'll leave it to the experts of this site.... You guys absolutely always use ranger finders?

So all my big golf friends say I have to use a range finder when playing golf.

Are these people PGA pro's?

I love using mine, it comes in very handy on new courses when there are interesting shots like a creek across the fairway, a fairway bunker that you may be able to reach and also for knowing distances to dog legs.

If more courses had signs with accurate distances from tee to hazards then I would not use one and just go by distance markers.

I say get one, it makes a big difference

:powerblt: Air force one complete set

:powerblt: TPS Putter

:oakley: Shirts

:footjoy: shoes

http://thesandtrap.com/t/37388/i-love-my-bushnell-tour-v2-rangefinder

Great thread above addressing more than you ever wanted to know. Bottom line for me, my V2 has saved me more strokes than any club I have ever purchased.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• Administrator

Anyone purchase a hunting rangefinder, versus a golf specific one? Technically the same thing I'd imagine.

No, they have different algorithms. Hunting ones often assume they'll be used in forests. Golf ones assume they'll be used in more open spaces.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Anyone purchase a hunting rangefinder, versus a golf specific one? Technically the same thing I'd imagine.

I own both.  Although I haven't tried my hunting range finder on the golf course, I think that the golf model will work better hunting, then hunting will work for golf.  Most golf models have features designed to "lock on" to a flagstick, and some specifically pick up reflectors built into the flagstick.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I have a GPS app on my phone but Im considering purchasing a refurbished rangefinder during the off-season. To answer your question I never golf without it.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

I always played without any devices until this year when I purchased a Garmin G3.  It has been helpful on unfamiliar courses.  There are times where I rarely look at it when I play a course with which I am familiar.  The key element to using a rangefinder or GPS is to know how far you carry each club.  Without that personal knowledge both devices are pretty useless.  The more erratic your ball striking, the less need for the devices.

Brian Kuehn

Note: This thread is 3642 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!