IGNORED

Anyone Crossfit? Good or Bad for Your Golf Game?

AveoBigandTall
Note: This thread is 2446 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 members have voted

1. 1. Is Crossfit good or bad for your golf game

• Great for your game
    • Only if you bulk up to much
    • What in the world is crossfit
    • Absolutely - i have been looking for a new and credible answer for my scores as of late
    • 100% Bad - dont touch it

A friend of mine who is an instructor just started Crossfit and is liking it.  Done properly, like anything else, it's not going to hurt your golf game long term.  Short term, the soreness might not help ;-) Strengthening the posterior chain and gaining mobility can def benefit the golf game but I wouldn't necessarily say you need to workout to play good golf.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A friend of mine who is an instructor just started Crossfit and is liking it.  Done properly, like anything else, it's not going to hurt your golf game long term.  Short term, the soreness might not help   Strengthening the posterior chain and gaining mobility can def benefit the golf game but I wouldn't necessarily say you need to workout to play good golf.

Ive been doing Crossfit for nearly a year now - and I love it.  I def do get sore - but the strength and agility has really helped me out - of course my scores dont currently reflect that but dont hold that against me

Gotta say im going in a little while and the WOD today is going to be killer -

when i get to sore i start topping the ball bc i cant keep my legs bent to stay down

I've been doing crossfit since last May??   and i love it!!  its a nice change from just going to the gym and working out...  and it gave me new ideas on what i can do with my workouts too..

Idk if it has helped my game or not... but overall i find i am stronger...

I do know that when did go out and do my first round of golf this summer, i was not sore the next day from using muscles that dont get used...

now i also dont do crossfit to get big.. i do it to get stronger...

It is what it is

Anything that strengthens your core and enhances flexibility is going to be good for your golf game. Crossfit can certainly fit that bill, when practiced appropriately. One of the primary knocks on Crossfit is that their emphasis on timed lifts CAN increase the likelihood of injury when people rush through very technical lifts like deadlifts, clean and jerk, etc. (google "Crossfit fail" if you want to see some really cringeworthy examples of poor form). But that is an indictment of those specific gyms more than Crossfit itself.

My take is that anything that gets people to exercise more frequently is a good thing, so have at it!

I've been doing crossfit since last May??   and i love it!!  its a nice change from just going to the gym and working out...  and it gave me new ideas on what i can do with my workouts too..  Idk if it has helped my game or not... but overall i find i am stronger...     I do know that when did go out and do my first round of golf this summer, i was not sore the next day from using muscles that dont get used... now i also dont do crossfit to get big.. i do it to get stronger...

[quote name="Big C" url="/t/70326/anyone-crossfit-good-or-bad-for-your-golf-game#post_904737"]Anything that strengthens your core and enhances flexibility is going to be good for your golf game. Crossfit can certainly fit that bill, when practiced appropriately. One of the primary knocks on Crossfit is that their emphasis on timed lifts CAN increase the likelihood of injury when people rush through very technical lifts like deadlifts, clean and jerk, etc. (google "Crossfit fail" if you want to see some really cringeworthy examples of poor form). But that is an indictment of those specific gyms more than Crossfit itself. My take is that anything that gets people to exercise more frequently is a good thing, so have at it! [/quote]big C. Man I just checked that out and crossfit fail is ROUGH!!!!

• 1 month later...

This is gonna sound far fetched... I got a new driver back in may, well I started Crossfit in feb and going 3-4 times a week. i used to have a swing speed right around 92 with my driver.. after doing 4 months of crossfit, I went to a demo day and was getting fitted for my driver.. my average swing speed was 112. I have lost a few inches on my waist, my flexibility was much better and I was stronger. I love doing crossfit, not just for golf, but for overall health.

Tools in the Ogio bag.
Driver      Callaway
 Razr Fit Xtreme 8.5* Extra Stiff

3 wood   Callaway X hot Stiff flex

Hybrid     Ping I20 3H 20* & 4H 23*
Irons       Ping  I20 5-PW

Wedges  Ping Tour Gorge 52 & 56 Callaway Mack daddy 60*

Putter     Scotty Cameron Monterey

Balls      Bridgestone B-330

Shoes          Skycaddie SGX

I did the sally up.. with the squats and push ups... its crazy.

Tools in the Ogio bag.
Driver      Callaway

This is gonna sound far fetched... I got a new driver back in may, well I started Crossfit in feb and going 3-4 times a week. i used to have a swing speed right around 92 with my driver.. after doing 4 months of crossfit, I went to a demo day and was getting fitted for my driver.. my average swing speed was 112. I have lost a few inches on my waist, my flexibility was much better and I was stronger. I love doing crossfit, not just for golf, but for overall health.

man I believe you. Crossfit has done so much for my health and playing performance. I did paleo and crossfit for the last 2 months and dropped 24 pounds and over 2% body fat. I havent dropped any strokes yet tho lol

I did sally about 2 months ago.. that chick hasnt been invited back yet..LOL

Tools in the Ogio bag.
Driver      Callaway

• 4 weeks later...

Been doing CrossFit for about 2 years. I'm 65 years old and I've always been fit, because of running, biking, going to the gym, flexibility training, etc.  But I can honestly say that I've never been is as good shape as I am now.  When I play with other guys in my age group they marvel at my flexibility and my swing speed. I highly recommend it.

• 3 years later...

Didn't want to start a new post since this was already here.  Any more TST members using Crossfit?  I spend really long hours sitting at a desk for work, and after much researching and mulling over Crossfit I bit the bullet and got rid of my old gym membership.  I am only in my second week of training..... I have scheduled M,W,F as my main workout days, and so far I think if I can be consistent with this I will be in the best shape of my life by the end of the summer.  Hoping that at a minimum it will increase my clubhead speed.

I really like the idea of having a different workout each day that is always going to push my limits.  Instructors are key as my "box" has some great guys/gals that are showing my form and technique to keep me safe when I lift.  Plus the old gym wasn't getting me to stay motivated to be consistent and push myself.  Both things that I have found crossfit excels at.

Crossfit is great for overall fitness. Like stated above, the strength you gain in your core alone will help your golf. I have been lifting for years and went to a fundamentals class at my local crossfit gym earlier this year (it was mandatory to start the gym) and I loved it all. The injuries are going to come from prideful people trying to lift too heavy, too early with bad form. As long as you don't get carried away with the weight and really focus on form, I don't see any bad sides to crossfit. I haven't been back since the fundamentals because of my wife's nursing school has taken priority over my spare time, but I plan on getting back once she is done. To me, the atmosphere was the most inviting thing about it. The people around you and the format where you are basically just trying to better "your" time was very motivational.

It's funny how bulking is such a concern when weight lifting is brought up. Weightlifting will not put bulk on you unless you set your diet up to add the bulk.

• Upvote 1

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

It can be beneficial if you keep your ego in check and make sure to have good/strict form as stated by TN. That's a lot easier said than done from what I've seen. Some instructors teach bad form and a lot of crossfitters get so obsessive about the reps/weight that they end up forcing sloppy reps which is where the injuries occur.

Honestly I think there are better options.

The problems with crossfit are pretty obvious. Even with weights relative to strength going to exhaustion especially with lifts that require coordination is a recipe for disaster.

Generally speaking when ever you're trying to do something fast the potential for injury is quite high. The concept of circuit training is nothing new and sure it can be done in a good way. Overhead lifts and olympic weightlifting are not the sort of things you want to be doing for reps to exhaustion... Or kipping pullups literally tearing your shoulders apart.

Crossfit isn't very effective either. The cf games popularized the workouts but thats not how you actually train to do well in those workouts. There's a more effective way to reach any goal than doing crossfit. It's basically a tester not a builder.

You can find a lot of discussion on strength/bb forums if you're interested in doing some reading.

Note: This thread is 2446 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!