IGNORED

gimmies add up

Golf89
Note: This thread is 3849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A 3 foot gimme?

A club pro playing with someone barely able to break 90.

I'm not sure if the pro's intent was to teach my Uncle a lesson from the start or not, but yes 3' was good for this guy playing someone he'd have to give a stroke per hole to if they were playing for something.

Paul

I never console a putt. I've missed that 4 inch, downhill putt. And I've never done match play until this weekend...ciest la vie...

A 4 inch putt is good.  I suggest you go take a look at a ruler.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How can you miss a putt that is shorter than the diameter of the hole?

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I don't care if people give themselves putts. I really don't.....

If there is skin in the game, we hole everything.  No exceptions....

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

My bro-in-law was in for a rude awakening when he played his first tournament. He had been playing well and posting good scores when raking all those 2 footers without finishing them out. Well in the tournament he missed 4 or 5 putts within 3 feet and was furious. I knew it would happen because he hadn't attempted a 3 footer in probably two months, but I never said a word and just let the scorecard teach him a lesson. Following the tournament, he has holed out every round since and has become much better at those short putts.

me neither. It is the putts effing fault that it didn't go in, not mine! Why should I feel bad at all for that putt??

LOL I had this same reaction.  I imagined the guy consoling his putt after missing it.

I have no problem being a prick.  I'd answer him:  "I don't know dude, I haven't seen you make anything within 5 feet all day."

My dad plays with a guy that picks up any putt that's 5 feet or closer, he'll laugh and say "that guy's never seen a 5 footer he couldn't make".

We usually don't play for money but last week one of our buddies was feeling full of himself and suggested we put some cash on the game.  We agreed on one condition, we play by the USGA rules, no gimme putts, no mulligans, no foot wedges.  It was 3 on 1 and he had already wedged his foot so deep in his mouth he wasn't going to back off from his cocky stance so he agreed.  Long story short, this guy is a 12 handicap but even I beat him by 4 strokes straight up, he shot a 96.

He kept whining about having to putt out 2 footers but in reality they were closer to 3 footers and he missed half of them.  I understand the role gimme putts have in match play but in stroke play they do more harm than good.

Joe Paradiso

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I LOVE the sound of a golf ball rattling into a cup. I wouldn't want to deprive myself of that joy. Besides it took a lot of hard work and drama to get close enough to putt it out so why the hell would I give up now that it's within "gimmie" range???????

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Sometimes, when everyone in the group sucks at putting (happens a lot on weekend warrior rounds), and routinely picking up their 3 footers, I hate to be the only one in the group to line up 3 footers and (worse yet?) knocking them in.  But hey, I am trying to establish an official score and need to miss some of those gimmie shots for my sandbag .... ;-)

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

That's why I spend 10-15 minutes after my morning and evening cardio practicing 3-5 foot putts. I do it every day. Confidence and expectations are big for me. I feel more comfortable standing over a 30 foot putt because the goal is usually just to lag it close enough to tap in. The 5 foot and in putts are usually to save par or make a birdie and there's a little more anxiety involved. The days I putt well are the days I stand over those putts knowing it's going in. The days I suffer 3 putts is when I am second guessing myself. Making those putts leads to confidence everywhere on the course for me.

Dave :-)

Note: This thread is 3849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!