IGNORED

Our Club Head Pro is Wrong...I think.

barbm12thtee
Note: This thread is 3823 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So we had our Couples member/guest tournament today. It's a select shot for the team of four (scramble). This year at the last minute we were informed only the ladies could putt on the even holes and everyone could putt on the odd holes. The team I was on came in second. Afterwards we found out the team that beat us by one stroke had five players on their team.The extra player was a woman who is an excellent player, we were told she only chipped and putted . This mean there was an extra player chipping and putting on nine holes and an extra woman putting and chipping on the other nine hole holes. This team beat our team by one stroke. When we asked the head pro why they had an extra player his response was, "because I can do that". Yadda Yadda Yadda he said it's all about having fun....a social event....not suppose to be competitive. Is it just me or is this not right? By the way the team that won, one of the guys, is the Pros really good friend. Also there was money gift cards involved.

its just a game. its not meant to be a life or death situation.

He's not suggesting that it is.

He's just wondering why the pro gave a group an unfair and unreasonable advantage.

What is the point you are trying to make?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Yep, he's wrong. That's unconscionable..... What the heck does "not supposed to be competitive" mean? You have every right to be upset!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lol, how can competing not be competitive? Idiotic.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I would have been less than thrilled with that answer from the club pro.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

It would depend for me. If it was for charity or for $$.

If it was for charity I know my family when we play these events donate the "winnings" back to the charity anyway... As I feel most people do.

If it was for money, or a club championship (which it seems from the OP that it was), then no I would be unhappy with this decision.  I would let the club pro know that by no longer being a member there.

So we had our Couples member/guest tournament today. It's a select shot for the team of four (scramble). This year at the last minute we were informed only the ladies could putt on the even holes and everyone could putt on the odd holes. The team I was on came in second.

Afterwards we found out the team that beat us by one stroke had five players on their team.The extra player was a woman who is an excellent player, we were told she only chipped and putted . This mean there was an extra player chipping and putting on nine holes and an extra woman putting and chipping on the other nine hole holes.

This team beat our team by one stroke. When we asked the head pro why they had an extra player his response was, "because I can do that". Yadda Yadda Yadda he said it's all about having fun....a social event....not suppose to be competitive.

Is it just me or is this not right? By the way the team that won, one of the guys, is the Pros really good friend. Also there was money gift cards involved.

The terms "ringer" or "pinch hitter" comes to mind. :-)

How much "gift card" did they pay for her golfing services? More importantly, how much did the pro get? :-P

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

So we had our Couples member/guest tournament today. It's a select shot for the team of four (scramble). This year at the last minute we were informed only the ladies could putt on the even holes and everyone could putt on the odd holes. The team I was on came in second.

Afterwards we found out the team that beat us by one stroke had five players on their team.The extra player was a woman who is an excellent player, we were told she only chipped and putted . This mean there was an extra player chipping and putting on nine holes and an extra woman putting and chipping on the other nine hole holes.

This team beat our team by one stroke. When we asked the head pro why they had an extra player his response was, "because I can do that". Yadda Yadda Yadda he said it's all about having fun....a social event....not suppose to be competitive.

Is it just me or is this not right? By the way the team that won, one of the guys, is the Pros really good friend. Also there was money gift cards involved.

Looks like this was set up as a fun tournament and exceptions to the rules were made re: "The extra player" to accommodate all who wanted to play. I think that the club pro did a good job of solving the odd paring issue and hopefully everyone had a good time.

Now, if the gift cards were valued at hundreds of thousands of dollars each, then you may have a legitimate argument.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xerex250

its just a game. its not meant to be a life or death situation.

He's not suggesting that it is.

He's just wondering why the pro gave a group an unfair and unreasonable advantage.

What is the point you are trying to make?

Really.  If I pay my money for a tournament, even a scramble, I expect that the teams are going to be fair.

Yep, he's wrong. That's unconscionable.....

What the heck does "not supposed to be competitive" mean? You have every right to be upset!

I'd be seriously pissed.  I'd be inclined to take my business elsewhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbm12thtee

Looks like this was set up as a fun tournament and exceptions to the rules were made re: "The extra player"  to accommodate all who wanted to play. I think that the club pro did a good job of solving the odd paring issue and hopefully everyone had a good time.

Now, if the gift cards were valued at hundreds of thousands of dollars each, then you may have a legitimate argument.

Nuts to this.  If the "extra" player wants to play, she can get her own team together.  Giving one team a significant advantage is just wrong, especially when your buddy is on that team.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I'll try to answer all of the lingering questions. This was not a charity event. There were 22 couples and each couple paid an entry fee. The head pro received half of the entry fee as he always does. Gift cards for the Pro Shop were paid out to 1-3rd place. Head Pro gets a percentage of profits, for what's sold in Pro Shop. So the prize money goes right back to the Head Pro. The Head Pro told my husband that our team was Too competitive and we could have our money back. We gave him back the gift card and got our entry fee money back. We actually made out $10 ahead. On a side note: one of the members got wind of the extra player incident and is emailing everyone that entered this tournament to get their money back. Stay tuned for more of The Scandal at the Country Club

What would be the response if that extra player team DIDN'T win? "Oh well, all's fair, etc...." but anyhows- Right off the bat, it occurred to me that there should have been a HARD limit to the number of players to avoid just this scenario. 22 couples would be 44 people- that's it. If someone backed out, a team could play with 2 or three, but adding someone to make a 5'er because an extra person signed up is wrong. Have your 44 sign up and close the list. Any extras are alternates, one list for men and one for the ladies.

What would be the response if that extra player team DIDN'T win? "Oh well, all's fair, etc...." but anyhows- Right off the bat, it occurred to me that there should have been a HARD limit to the number of players to avoid just this scenario. 22 couples would be 44 people- that's it. If someone backed out, a team could play with 2 or three, but adding someone to make a 5'er because an extra person signed up is wrong. Have your 44 sign up and close the list. Any extras are alternates, one list for men and one for the ladies.

If they weren't in the money probably no one would have cared. But no one knew there was a team of five until afterwards. The team that came in fourth should have been third and they were bumped out of the money. One of the fourth place guys sent emails to all the members that were in the tournament and want them to ask for their money back. The money isn't important. It's to send a message to the Head Pro. This is not the first time he's done something similar to this.

I'll try to answer all of the lingering questions. This was not a charity event.

There were 22 couples and each couple paid an entry fee. The head pro received half of the entry fee as he always does.

Gift cards for the Pro Shop were paid out to 1-3rd place. Head Pro gets a percentage of profits, for what's sold in Pro Shop. So the prize money goes right back to the Head Pro.

The Head Pro told my husband that our team was Too competitive and we could have our money back. We gave him back the gift card and got our entry fee money back. We actually made out $10 ahead.

On a side note: one of the members got wind of the extra player incident and is emailing everyone that entered this tournament to get their money back.

Stay tuned for more of The Scandal at the Country Club

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 3823 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!