IGNORED

Driver Loft 8.5 to...12!

hendog
Note: This thread is 3805 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When you choke down like that the shaft will play stiffer and the ball will fly lower. You need to add weight to the head to get the flex back.

:tmade: SLDRs 14* driver, 17* fairway, 19* and 22* hybrids | :odyssey: Versa White #1 putter

:nike: XR Pro 24*, 27*, 31*, 35.5*, 40*, 45*, 50* irons | :vokey: SM4 54*, 58* wedges

When you choke down like that the shaft will play stiffer and the ball will fly lower. You need to add weight to the head to get the flex back.

There really isn't enough flex in the butt end for a one inch choke to make that much difference.  It will make a difference in clubhead speed though.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Its minimal at best, shaft stiffness is one of the last things to consider when getting a golf shaft. Bend profile, shaft weight, torque, all more important than stiffness.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 2 weeks later...

I finally took the plunge today and cut down an old TaylorMade Burner (2009 model) that I had collecting dust in the basement. The original length was 46.25" and I cut it down to 44.25".  I have been struggling with my driver for years -- to the point that I just stopped hitting it and teed off with the 3-wood.  This year I started to hit the driver a little bit more, but still struggled to get comfortable and more importantly confident.

My initial impressions are -- I love the shorter club. I instantly was more comfortable and confident in swinging it the moment I tried it.  Even with the swing weight being way too light -- my initial reaction is this is the correct move for me.  I don't think I am losing any distance, but will verify it with a launch monitor in a few weeks.

I have tried numerous new drivers over the last few years, but have always returned them or sold them. I currently have a TaylorMade SLDR that I don't really like and prior to today have been hitting an old R7.

I think my next move will be a Titlest 913 custom ordered with a 44.25" shaft.

I switched to a 13.5* driver @ 42.5" from a 12* @ 45" with great results. I hit the ball almost as far and have far better control and confidence with the 13.5 driver. I did this initially for tight par 4's but the results were so good I took my 12* out of the bag. Been doing this for about two months now and it still working well.

Loft isn't for everyone, I recently moved away from a callaway xhot 9.5, was simply launching too high between 14-16 degrees, and hated playing into the wind. Picked up an R1 after playing with an sldr and r1, and now play it at 8* and 2 degrees open and have been LOVING IT. I gained about 5% carry and 10% more roll, as my backspin was in the 2200 range vs 3000 with the xhot.

Loft isn't for everyone, I recently moved away from a callaway xhot 9.5, was simply launching too high between 14-16 degrees, and hated playing into the wind. Picked up an R1 after playing with an sldr and r1, and now play it at 8* and 2 degrees open and have been LOVING IT. I gained about 5% carry and 10% more roll, as my backspin was in the 2200 range vs 3000 with the xhot.

The actual loft on the XHot was probably near 11.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I'm with mr.D on this one! The supposed loft on many mainstream drivers are not accurate, I would even go as far to say they're not accurate on purpose! They want you to think your smashing a 9* driver straight with a lovely trajectory and it's all down to their technology, but in fact your hitting it well because it's probably an 11* , Calloway and TMade have been jacking lofts for too long! But who cares! whatever works works!

Gaz Lee

I take it driver lofts cannot be changed, right?  My driver right now says 10.5 and I've had a lingering suspicion for the last couple months that a 9.5 might benefit me more as I do not have a problem getting the ball up.  While playing yesterday towards the end of the round one of the other people in my group asked what my driver loft was and commented that it might be a bit high after watching my drives all afternoon.

Most manufacturers have that technology available now. I have a 9.5 TM Rocketballz driver that allows me to change the loft 1.5 degrees in either direction. The thing is, if you lower the loft it opens the face slightly and if you raise the loft it closes the face slightly. They have other clubs where you can change both the loft and the lie.

I just recently adjusted it to 10.5 and, with the slighty closed face, I am hitting it straighter and longer (my normal swing creates a fade). Sorry I didn't do it sooner although I will say that I tried it when I first got the club and hit it all over the place in a range session, so I didn't try it again until I was fairly desperate.

Bill M

Note: This thread is 3805 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!