IGNORED

How to hit 2-iron?

marvin
Note: This thread is 3158 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know that 2-iron is quickly become extinct. For mid-high handicappers, hybrid is a much better alternative indeed. However, I particularly interested in learning and mastering 2-iron. I believe that I can hit them purely, then hitting any other club shouldn't be a problem.

So, what are the fundamentals of hitting 2-iron? Grips, setup, stance, posture? Does it have to be very quick on the downswing? Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

TaylorMade RBZ 9° | TaylorMade Burner SF 2.0 16.5° | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Titleist Vokey SM4 56°11 | Cleveland Classic #4

You hit it the same way you hit your 3-iron. FWIW, I play with predominantly good golfers, down to scratch. I don't know a single person who still carries a 2 iron. Most have traded it for a 4th wedge.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I believe that I can hit them purely, then hitting any other club shouldn't be a problem.

Following that analogy, you should buy the oldest, cheapest, 1 iron, blade style iron you can find.  If you can hit that, you can hit anything.  Candidly, I think there is a greater tendency to develop some poor habits by trying to hit a difficult club.

I do carry a 2 iron, but only use it off the tee.  For me to hit it successfully and consistently off the grass, I end up sacrificing distance and height and it turns out to be a shot that I could hit better with my 4 iron.

You hit it like any other iron. Hit ball first.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I don't mean to poop all over your noble quest, but I'm going to: if you're a 30 capper, try mastering the other clubs first. If you can do that, a 2-iron's not much different.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I don't mean to poop all over your noble quest, but I'm going to: if you're a 30 capper, try mastering the other clubs first.

If you can do that, a 2-iron's not much different.

:bugout: You said POOP!! :bugout:

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I bag a 2 iron. It is traded back and forth with my 4 wood depending on course layout. It is my 220 yd club off the turf and the 4 is 225-230ish. Pretty much all it takes is confidence you can hit it. Long irons give people a doubt in the their swing and they change the way they hit normally because of fear. Your first mistake is that there is a different way to hit with it. I would say the swinging too hard is the mishit of most. Let the club do the work for you. It hurts to mishit it, even with a sensocore shaft.

People think I am crazy to game a 2 but I actually use it quite a bit from tee to green. I like it....at least when I don't come over the top with my swing (read swinging too hard). Too me it is just another iron although I make enjoy the shock value a little when I nail out a great shot with it in front of other players. :p

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I bag a 2 iron. It is traded back and forth with my 4 wood depending on course layout. It is my 220 yd club off the turf and the 4 is 225-230ish. Pretty much all it takes is confidence you can hit it. Long irons give people a doubt in the their swing and they change the way they hit normally because of fear. Your first mistake is that there is a different way to hit with it. I would say the swinging too hard is the mishit of most. Let the club do the work for you. It hurts to mishit it, even with a sensocore shaft. People think I am crazy to game a 2 but I actually use it quite a bit from tee to green. I like it....at least when I don't come over the top with my swing (read swinging too hard). Too me it is just another iron although I make enjoy the shock value a little when I nail out a great shot with it in front of other players. :p

I was thinking it was just another iron as well. Although I am not savvy as most everyone else here. I thought that all swings were supposed to be the same regardless of the iron. Now trying to hit a long iron too hard? THAT I can relate to! And that is what I thought made me not hit one worth a darn. Id look at the distance and tell myself I must get a long way with this one. My mind would interfere and tell my body to hit harder. And of course stupid me would do precisely that. I can hit a long iron okay as long as I just think about hitting it straight. That usually forces me to do what I should do to hit it properly in the first place...slow down and relax.

Answer: Put the ball up on a tee.  Which is actually a useful shot that the 2-iron offers distinct advantages for if you can master it.  Also remember that today's 2-iron is equivalent to the classic 1-iron in specs, so you can still pat yourself on the back if you can master a modern 3-iron.  I have an old Northwestern "Shot Saver" (Ha!) butter-knife blade 1-iron.  Usually takes me about 3 tries before I can pure one off a tee and a few more than that to hit a good one off the turf.  It goes like a thinned 3 iron on a good strike.

Answer: Put the ball up on a tee.  Which is actually a useful shot that the 2-iron offers distinct advantages for if you can master it.  Also remember that today's 2-iron is equivalent to the classic 1-iron in specs, so you can still pat yourself on the back if you can master a modern 3-iron.  I have an old Northwestern "Shot Saver" (Ha!) butter-knife blade 1-iron.  Usually takes me about 3 tries before I can pure one off a tee and a few more than that to hit a good one off the turf.  It goes like a thinned 3 iron on a good strike.

Wow! You just took me back a few years. I had a few Northwestern clubs as well. Around 1984. Thanks for the flashbacks.:-)

Also remember that today's 2-iron is equivalent to the classic 1-iron in specs ...

I'm not so sure this is true.  The GI and SGI irons have definitely gotten stronger in their lofts, but those sets have all compensated by switching to 4-GW as the standard, with a 3-iron optional, and most of them don't even offer a 2-iron.  If you are playing a set that even has a 2-iron option (like OP's MP-33's, which aren't even new irons to begin with) then your playing some type of advanced "players club" and its going to be pretty close to matching the "old school" lofts, I'd think.  The MP-33 2-iron is 19*, by the way.  And the 3-iron is 22*.

But, yes, if you are uninformed, and are playing SGI irons and just want to also play a 2-iron because its cool or whatever, it's very possible that your 3-iron and 2-iron will be very close to the same club.

Either way ... I don't get it.  My current 4 iron goes almost as far as my old 2 iron and is 3000% easier to hit and hit well.  Why on God's earth would I want to torture myself with a 3-iron even ... let alone a flippin' 2-iron?!?!

You hit it the same way you hit your 3-iron.

FWIW, I play with predominantly good golfers, down to scratch. I don't know a single person who still carries a 2 iron. Most have traded it for a 4th wedge.....

I carry one and use it off at least three tees (and off the deck at some of the par 5s) at my home course - learned to use it quite some time back and I have some confidence that I will hit it well. Have flirted with Mizuno's MP-FliHi long iron replacements but hate almost every hybrid I've ever tried.

To the OP: How do you hit one? As has been said before, like any other iron. Swing it easy and let the shaft length and loft do the rest for you.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

I picked up a 18º Callaway prototype utility iron and its my 2nd favorite club. Its forged and when you flush it you feel like a boss. I would trade this club for my 3 wood in a heartbeat. Its not as long but the trajectory is nice and low. Also my misses aren't as big (side to side that is). If Callaway made a 15º I'd buy it.

I am pretty certain that mastering a 2 iron would assure your mastery of the 3 iron, but I'm not so sure that it would equate to mastery of "any other club."  Drivers, shorter irons, and wedges are different animals, though I wouldn't suggest that being good with a 2 iron would hurt your chances with any other club.

However, if the OP is, indeed, a 30 handicap, I would suggest with no disrespect intended, that there are other things it would be better to practice.  Pitching and putting jump immediately to mind, and being able to hit a driver well will serve better than a 2 iron going forward.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

I was out at the range last night playing around with some old titleist lite 100 irons 2-9 iron. I hit the 2 iron just like I did any other iron, same swing.

as a side note, the 2 iron had 21* loft, a 2 iron today would be about 18*

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

So I was 231 out on the par 5, 8th. 2 iron to 15 feet, thanks to catching the down slope just in front of the green. I gacked on the eagle putt and made birdie. I say throw it in the bag...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Note: This thread is 3158 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!