IGNORED

My swing (brianb9999)

brianb9999
Note: This thread is 3851 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 10+ years on and off (more frequently over the last few years)

My current handicap index or average score is: avg score just over 100

My typical ball flight is: high, push or push/slice

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: short, high push

Videos:

Hi all-

I've posted a few times on here before, and now I've finally gotten around to posting my swing in the Member swing section. I have been recording my swing every time I've been to the range over the last several weeks, and it is really helping to see what I'm doing right or wrong. For anyone who would be so kind to take a look at my swing, here are some of my observations.

- Just about everything I'm hitting currently is starting right and traveling fairly short. I have determined this must be due to a steep swing plane and hitting behind the ball. I used to have a very shallow, inside backswing, but I still do this thing at the top of my swing that seems to reroute the club which results in an over-the-top move.

- It appears that I am transferring my weight, but I think my less-than-ideal impact position and steep downswing are resulting in my club bottoming out too soon. I have been working on keeping my right knee flexed in the backswing and squating through the beginning of the downswing, but after watching swings of various tour pros, it seems that I really need to "stand up" with my left leg through impact. Does this sound like an accurate assessment?

I have been working online with the Rotary Swing system for those who are familiar, and I am uploading my swing there every 2 weeks, but I was just trying to get some other input in the meantime. I am really hoping to build some consistency, and even though there are some things I can tell I need to improve on, it doesn't seem to me that I am that far off.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Hi all-

I've posted a few times on here before, and now I've finally gotten around to posting my swing in the Member swing section. I have been recording my swing every time I've been to the range over the last several weeks, and it is really helping to see what I'm doing right or wrong. For anyone who would be so kind to take a look at my swing, here are some of my observations.

- Just about everything I'm hitting currently is starting right and traveling fairly short. I have determined this must be due to a steep swing plane and hitting behind the ball. I used to have a very shallow, inside backswing, but I still do this thing at the top of my swing that seems to reroute the club which results in an over-the-top move.

- It appears that I am transferring my weight, but I think my less-than-ideal impact position and steep downswing are resulting in my club bottoming out too soon. I have been working on keeping my right knee flexed in the backswing and squating through the beginning of the downswing, but after watching swings of various tour pros, it seems that I really need to "stand up" with my left leg through impact. Does this sound like an accurate assessment?

I have been working online with the Rotary Swing system for those who are familiar, and I am uploading my swing there every 2 weeks, but I was just trying to get some other input in the meantime. I am really hoping to build some consistency, and even though there are some things I can tell I need to improve on, it doesn't seem to me that I am that far off.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Very, very few PGA pros keep the flex in their trail knee. By allowing it to lose flex as you rotate back it will let your hips rotate farther and keep your head centred.

Here is a great thread that will help you understand this.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Too much squat in the stance, you left foot moves during swing, and your head moves too much during the swing *probably related to the foot movement*. Those are just a few quick observations.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Pretty standard reply here, Check out all the videos regarding keys 1 - 3

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread

For you, stand more upright, loose the butt tuck (arch in the lower back), and get a bit more rounded in the upper back. Feel like your chin is closer to your chest.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/56069/good-golf-posture

right now your restricting a ton of the good movements that should be going on. I can tell right away that your posture is inhibiting your proper hip turn, and your required to maintain your right knee flexion. From there you get very flat in the swing, and your forearms roll over.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/62804/steady-head-drill-and-how-painting-mental-pictures-can-help-your-swing

Mike does a good job explaining how the left shoulder turns on a steeper plane to allow for a steady head. Getting your hips and shoulders steeper will help you fix some things.

you could go with a stronger left hand grip, it does help promote an inside to out swing path.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

no pro here. Looks like you may be too flat on your backswing, probably related to your knee flex. Flats not bad, but too flat will create an exaggerated inside to out swing that's creating the pushes. The knee flex also forces you to stand a considerable distance from the ball which will effect your control. the closer you can stand to the ball with any given club increases your success. Watch any tour pro and notice how close they are to the ball at address.

Working on the same,,impact everything

I wish my impact position looked like that. Working on it!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

You can..we all can ..retrain your damn hands,, it isn't easy,,but you can do it

Like working on the swing,,score means nothing to me. Might just go to the range and give up playing... ( might happen)

Interesting...I had been quite hunched over before, and pretty close to the ball as well. However, I had been very inconsistent, and upon finally getting some video of myself, it looked like a very non-athletic stance and I seemed to be crowding the ball. My right knee was pretty much locked on the backswing, and I was told I was overswinging. Plus, I had been hitting some very fat shots. I tried standing closer to the ball today but ended up digging into the ground a lot. Everything was still short and pushed or push-sliced, except oddly enough, my driver. It was my most consistent club today, very different from earlier in the year when everything I hit with it was a snap-hook.

If it's not one thing, it's another, it seems...

Interesting...I had been quite hunched over before, and pretty close to the ball as well. However, I had been very inconsistent, and upon finally getting some video of myself, it looked like a very non-athletic stance and I seemed to be crowding the ball. My right knee was pretty much locked on the backswing, and I was told I was overswinging. Plus, I had been hitting some very fat shots. I tried standing closer to the ball today but ended up digging into the ground a lot. Everything was still short and pushed or push-sliced, except oddly enough, my driver. It was my most consistent club today, very different from earlier in the year when everything I hit with it was a snap-hook.

If it's not one thing, it's another, it seems...

No one is saying lock your knee, but it does loose flexion in the backswing.

Just look at that posture thread and check how they look. Not many of them are bent over like you are. Were are not saying crowd the ball, you should be able to fit your hand width between your body and the butt end of the club. You can get into that position with out having a ton of knee bent.

over swinging and hitting it fat has little to do with crowding the ball. If that was true, Furyk would not be a professional golfer ;)

Look at how much room tiger has between his hands and his body. He is in a totally relaxed position, ready to execute an athletic golf swing. His lower back is in neutral, not arched, his upper back is slightly bowed down. See how far out your butt is away from the back of your shoes, look at Tiger, its not that far out. The feeling is much like getting your chest to hover over the ball. When i get to upright, i feel like my chest is pointing more towards the horizon away from me. When i am in good posture, I feel like i can cover the ball with my chest during the swing. My arms can freely move on the correct plane. From your posture, you are stuck going flat because your hips are so far tucked in that they are locked from properly rotating. This will dictate your shoulder rotation as well. In the one thread I put, you can see a proper shoulder turn really has your left shoulder dropping down towards the ball.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Saevel, thank you for that picture comparison and the explanation...it is now easy to see. I will work on it some this weekend and hopefully get some more video to post.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to load that video showing the steady head drill, but I will keep trying when I get a chance.

Note: This thread is 3851 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!