IGNORED

Trying to decide between two drivers

Note: This thread is 3813 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ever since I started playing again, I've been playing almost exclusively at a local par 3 course. I now want to branch out. Recently, I started trying out some drivers at different shops and I realized that I liked hitting these newer drivers more than my old 3W. Been looking exclusively at used clubs or older models. Not interested in paying too much since I'm still getting used to playing again. Here's what I have it narrowed down to.

TaylorMade Burner 2.0 10.5 - Hit this in a room at a shop. Felt great. Feel like I can swing this one more easily.

Callaway X Hot - Got to hit this outside. Doesn't feel great but I was surprised at how straight I can hit this club. Even straighter than my 3W.

I also tried out an Adams Super S along with the Callaway. It felt similar to the TaylorMade but I couldn't hit this straight - was hooking every shot. My concern is since the TM felt so similar, will I have the same issues? If this is the case, do I get the driver that feels better or the one that doesn't feel great but I can hit straighter? If there are others I should try, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Ever since I started playing again, I've been playing almost exclusively at a local par 3 course. I now want to branch out. Recently, I started trying out some drivers at different shops and I realized that I liked hitting these newer drivers more than my old 3W. Been looking exclusively at used clubs or older models. Not interested in paying too much since I'm still getting used to playing again. Here's what I have it narrowed down to.

TaylorMade Burner 2.0 10.5 - Hit this in a room at a shop. Felt great. Feel like I can swing this one more easily.

Callaway X Hot - Got to hit this outside. Doesn't feel great but I was surprised at how straight I can hit this club. Even straighter than my 3W.

I also tried out an Adams Super S along with the Callaway. It felt similar to the TaylorMade but I couldn't hit this straight - was hooking every shot. My concern is since the TM felt so similar, will I have the same issues? If this is the case, do I get the driver that feels better or the one that doesn't feel great but I can hit straighter? If there are others I should try, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

You can always look at some discount websites also. I believe the burner 2.0 is $99 new as well as a lot of other drivers on at least one website. Once you find a driver that you like check online prices before purchasing through a brick and mortar store. Or you can find one that you like the price of online then try it out at the store to make sure it will work for you. You may disregard some drivers because the price in the store is too high only to find that they are much more affordable online.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I think Dick's had them on sale for $99 as well.

Even the RBZ stage 2 drivers were on sale during Labor Day. I ended up getting the 3W for roughly $129.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Nope, that's not what I'm saying, I'm just pointing you in a direction to perhaps purchase the club cheaper or open the door for other options based on a price that you may not see at the store.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

If you havent hit the rbz go hit that before you buy the burner. I honestly think you'll end up with the rbz the ball jumps off the face of all of the rbz woods. I also like the feel. I like the look of the stage 1 better but they both feel sweet.
  • Upvote 1

Thanks everyone. So what I'm hearing is go with the TM?

Not at all. You asked about the TM Burner 2.0.

I am a PING fan myself, but have a couple TM items :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'll try out the RBZ's today. Thanks for the suggestion. When I was in the market for a set of irons, I liked the Burner 2.0 much better than the Rocketballz so I think I kind of discounted the RBZ line unfairly.

Jeremie, thanks for the clarification.

I'm not crazy about the rocket blades either but their fairway woods and drivers are worth a swing.I'm a ping fan as well and I also like the G20 driver. I have a R11 right now which I love but I'd trade it for a rbz if my wife would let me.
  • Upvote 1

If I had tried several drivers out and found that I hit one of them much straighter than the others on a consistent basis the decision would be made.  For me, 220 in the middle is better than 250 in the weeds/woods/water, whatever.  A straight drive is a great start toward a par.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

I tried out the RBZ's and was thrown off at how heavy they were/felt. Still like the X Hot and the Burner 2.0 better. There was a used X Hot at a local store for $110. If that's still available, I'll get that. If not, I'm gonna go with the TaylorMade Burner 2.0. Thanks, everyone. You guys have been super helpful!

• 2 weeks later...

Having tried and settled on a RBZ Stage 2 3 wood which is brilliant, tried the driver (amongst others).

I'm not a long hitter andt have a very slight fade sometimes.

Eventually spent two weeks with the RBZ and X Hot demo clubs on the course in regular play. Both added 15 - 20 yards but the RBZ didn't help with the fade. Haven't missed the centre of a fairway since with the X Hot with no hint of a fade. With my length have no need to shape a shot but can fade it if I try.

The Burner 2.0 SuperFast was super noodly in the shaft department -- I mean, that was a baaaaad year for TM stock shafts. Move up in flex if you get that one.

Interesting, I got 7 more MPH with an Adams 9088UL 12.5 over a TM 2.0 SF 10.5.

If you're not a heavy hitter or fast swinger, try the Adams on ebay if you can find one. The UL  - ultralights aren't for the high speed guys.

But I'd say get a XHot, or try one beforehand - nice, hot feeling club - reminded me of the Adams 9088 in terms of light, hot feel. The XHot has a more pleasing shape although the Adams might be slightly more aerodynamic.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Two summers ago, I got to test out my Callaway HyperX Tour driver against the newer clubs, the RazrHawk and the TM Burner 2.0 Superfast. All had R-flex shafts and 10.5* heads.

The two Callaway drivers both went about the same distance with the same trajectory. The Burner took off like a 5i, and got more L-to-R drift in the crosswind. If I had gotten the Burner, I would have needed a slightly heavier shaft, probably with a bit lower launch. If it has an R-flex shaft, make the Burner doesn't hang the ball up too high.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 3813 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!