IGNORED

Alignment

Note: This thread is 3849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Been pretty successful playing a draw off the tee for a while now, however to do so I lined up with a very, very closed stance and the ball off my left toe.  I used to always fade/slice it when I lined up square to the target.  Only downside has been that when I lined up closed, the misses were huuuuge.  Either low snap hooks or blocks way OB right.  I also could not hit the ball straight down the fairway, everything was a 10-20 yard draw.

Recently gave the neutral stance a try and also moved the ball back a few inches (I believe Erik and Dave recommend playing the ball a bit back in the stance to promote a left to right shot.  Guess my swing fixed itself a bit over the last few months, because the ball flight was great. Still left to right, but now it was very gentle, 5 yards at the most.  Also realized I could hit it fairly straight if I wanted.  Best part, misses aren't nearly as bad.  No more snap hooks or 50 yard blocks.  Instead my misses were just overcooked left or a straight ball with a bit of fade.

Think I'll be playing from an neutral stance all the time now.  Anyone else keep their alignment the same no matter what shape they're going for?

I've gotten to where I only close my stance an inch or two to draw. If I close it too much I feel like I'm trying to hit something behind me. Then I'll play the ball 3 or 4 inches back in the stance. The realization that I could change my shot shape with forward/backward ball position was a major "aha" moment.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

Note: This thread is 3849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• TST Partners

TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    ShotScope
    The Stack System
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct: Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package.

Coupon Codes (save 10-15%): "IACAS" for Mevo/Stack, "IACASPLUS" for Mevo+/Pro Package, and "THESANDTRAP" for ShotScope.
    • Agree. The next omission needs to be that ridiculous team concept. Nobody cares about a team when they really don’t represent anything except being a group of diminished morality and/or washed up pro golfers. Or wait, we’ve also got total nobodies who’ve accomplished nothing who now get a participation trophy! Doesn’t that sound invigorating!
    • LIV moving to 72 holes is a subtle admission that 54 holes was nothing but a joke all along. 
    • I was going to start a thread, but this seems like the place.  Yesterday I played my matchplay match at my local club.  My opponent is a notorious sandbagger by reputation.  The pro once pulled his tournament rounds from the past several years and said that it is impossible his tournament rounds are legit based on his handicap. here is what happened last night.  I am getting 4 shots from him.  His current handicap index is 15.3 i shot 45 on the front.   Was down 4 after nine, he had three birdies and shot even par. I was closed out on thirteen, we halved with a bogey.  That bogey put him one over par for his round.   He then took a triple on 14 and then left. As if that wasn’t bad enough, he lied about his score.   I wrote down on my scorecard what the score was.  He put higher values that didn’t affect the outcome of the match to pad his score and apparently make it not look as obvious.   He shot 36 on the front, but claimed 40.  The higher values for his score were in the online scoring app our club uses.  He did it this way: I won #7. He had a 2 foot putt for par that if he made would still lose the hole.   He picked up and said it didn’t matter since I won.  He took a 5 instead of a 4 after picking up a gimme. on #8 his approach shot on this par 4 was 8 inches.  I verbally conceded the putt but I had hit into a hazard.  I finished the hole with a 6.  Instead of birdie he put in for par. on #9, another par 4, his approach was to 18 inches.  I missed my par putt and then knowing how close I verbally conceded the putt.  I missed my bogey putt, he never conceded mine.  Instead of birdie he put down a bogey. He padded his score by 4 shots on the front.  And then did again on 10.  I rinsed one and made 6 on a par 4.  I putted out and he was fishing balls out of the lake so I drove off to the next tee.  He had 15 feet laying two but claimed a 5.     love to know the odds of a 15 handicap being even thru 12 holes on a round of golf. 
    • They've been chuckling since they hooked the shark. I think Greg doesn't realize the jokes on him.
    • to confirm, I'll need a hotel for Friday and Saturday, planning to share with you

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...