IGNORED

Are you a "Wind Player"?

Boyder
Note: This thread is 3803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Been playing a LOT of golf this season, and I have come to the conclusion that I am a Wind Player. My best 2 rounds this past few weeks both came with winds at 20+. My normal round is typically 85 to 88 ... those 2 rounds were 79 and 80 - and the 80 (today's round) should have been a 78 if it weren't for the fact that I am a lousy putter.

Just wondering if anyone else finds that their game excels in the breeze.

Mark Boyd of the Clan Boyd
"Retired in my Dreams"

I am pretty sure I am better at playing in the wind now than I was before. Most amateurs struggle because they "Flip" at the ball, and also hit down on the driver. This adds spin, and gets effected by the wind. A ball with less spin off the driver will be effected less by the wind. My current swing is much more solid, so I can control it better in windy conditions. But its also being smart, and able to control the ball flight.

If you don't want the wind to push your ball around off the tee, lower the spin rate, and hit a curve against the wind direction. Though my favorite is when you have a wind that is going diagonal from behind you. I like to hit high draws or high fades with the wind. The ball just travels forever, huge distance gain ;)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can't say that I necessarily score better in wind, but it doesn't bother me like it does some players.  I accept that there will be some shots that won't work, and I'll have to make adjustments.  I also accept that the wind may add a stroke here and there, so it doesn't get in my head and mess with my swing.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I "can" play in the wind, I adjust and play accordingly. It might cost me stroke or 3, but I manage. Unlike my playing buddies who either swing harder and wilder, or ignore it and play the same club no matter what the distance and wind speed and then complains about it.

I don't necessarily like playing in the wind, but I like competing in the wind. Patience, the ability to flight the ball, and a willingness to check your ego at the door will beat the vast majority of players..... A really good wind player is a thing of beauty to watch though!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I can only recall playing in moderately windy conditions once this summer and it didn't mess with me too much.  I remember hitting a wedge shot high and it hung up there long enough to get blown around a bit but other than that all my clubs seem to have a low penetrating trajectory.

Like most people the wind doesn't bother me as much when I am really hitting solid shots.

On those days I play pretty well compared to opponents, but make no mistake it's only relative to opponents and not to what I would do with no wind.

Sorry but I'm not buying that anyone is better in the wind than they are with no wind. They are just better relative to what others are doing.

After a very windy day I will collect three or four times as many golf balls from the water around the island green as on a day with no wind and a couple more holes with forced carries are virtually unplayable for higher handicap players in strong wind.

Winning team scores in our Saturday game are almost always -5 to -8 on each side on calm days and almost always -1 to -3 on each side on very windy days and those scores are determined by the best two balls (and usually the best two players) on each team.

My "home" course sits on high ground and often has strong swirling winds. I've gotten pretty comfortable playing in those conditions although they are not my favorite. I see a lot of players try to out muscle the wind. I just take an extra club or two, or three, swing easy and try to lower my ball flight. If I'm playing decently I will score about the same as I do on calm days.

cubdog

Ross (aka cubdog)

I live in Oklahoma. Wind is the only option.

...seriously though, I love days with no wind.  I probably don't score any better though -- and it bugs me because I figure I don't have the built in excuse: "Well, it was kinda windy today, so I guess my score isn't bad at all."

I can only recall playing in moderately windy conditions once this summer and it didn't mess with me too much.  I remember hitting a wedge shot high and it hung up there long enough to get blown around a bit but other than that all my clubs seem to have a low penetrating trajectory.

Fall and winter are the windy times in Colorado for the most part, at least on the front range.  I've played in some winds at Foothills where it took 3 full shots (driver, 3W, 8I) to reach a 400 yard par 4 into the wind.  Then 2 shots (driver, 8I) to reach a 520 yard par 5 on the next hole playing away from the mountains.

Rick

Wind plays havoc with your distances. I remember this year playing into a headwind of 13mph not really strong my hybrid went 185 then in the opposite direction downwind same club 230 just ridiculous difference. You lose on headwinds but gain downwind so staying patient is the key but I seem to get bothered more by really wet weather. Golf is fun but when everything is drenched the chances of enjoying it become greatly reduced. Its happened a couple of times and the scores become kind of pointless you're trying to just get finished

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

Fall and winter are the windy times in Colorado for the most part, at least on the front range.  I've played in some winds at Foothills where it took 3 full shots (driver, 3W, 8I) to reach a 400 yard par 4 into the wind.  Then 2 shots (driver, 8I) to reach a 520 yard par 5 on the next hole playing away from the mountains.

I lived in Denver for 23 years. I can relate to what your saying. I haven't hit a 300 yard drive since moving to sea level.

cubdog

Ross (aka cubdog)

I play in windy conditions often but I can't say I like it. Really has no affect on my score as long as I don't try to compensate for it. The only time I do anything to combat it is clubbing up on par 3's with water. More than anything I just don't like wind, golf or no golf.

Dave :-)

I can cope with the wind but my game is not consistent enough to say I am a wind player.  Few, if any, players are better in windy conditions.  It is more a matter of being less adversely affected than one's peer group.

An often overlooked issue in windy conditions is putting.  It is hard to hold a steady putting stance in a strong wind and the break and speed of one's putts are affected.

Brian Kuehn

By the way, what does everyone consider windy?  When it starts taking 2 or more clubs extra is when I think it is windy.  A club or so is pretty normal conditions for most of us, is my guess.

Brian Kuehn

Funny - was just thinking about this over the weekend. Snuck out for a quick 9-holes on Saturday and the wind was very much present - the first I've seen like this all season. I started grumbling about the wind fearing that it would wreak havoc but found that I scored on the lower end - as good if not better than I have in calm conditions. Looked back after about six or seven holes and realized that I wasn't necessarily playing better in the wind but was surely playing smarter . I don't yet have the game where I can shape shots effectively, nor am I consistent enough where I can adjust to the wind conditions and let the wind carry my ball left or right with any degree of reliability. I did find myself swinging in a more controlled fashion and being more methodical in my swing plane or finish so as to keep the ball lower. The result? A score in line with my normal "better" showings and some learning a I intend to bring to my every day game. Who'da thunk it??

Driver- :nike: Nike VR-Pro Limited Edition 9.5* Diamana 'ahina Stiff Flex 3 Wood- :titleist: Titleist 980 5 Wood- :tmade: Taylormade R9 3i-PW- :tmade: Taylormade Tour Preferred (Dynamic Gold S300) Putter- :tarmour: Tommy Armour T-Line 150 (it's old but I love it and haven't been able to find anything that feels better)

I'm totaly a wind player, 280 days of wind here and very often it's up to 62 miles an hour wind. thats hardly playable, push carts fall all over, putts break up hill etc... :-D

we really dont score well (90's and even higher) but those rare days with no wind we are lost ! :loco:

I'm totaly a wind player, 280 days of wind here and very often it's up to 62 miles an hour wind. thats hardly playable, push carts fall all over, putts break up hill etc...

we really dont score well (90's and even higher) but those rare days with no wind we are lost !

I've played plenty of times in winds that was blowing push carts over.  One time my buddy parked his push cart in the fairway on level ground without setting the brake and while he was setting up for his shot, the cart headed down the fairway with nobody but the wind pushing it.

Rick

Note: This thread is 3803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!