IGNORED

how often should one re-evaluate their grip?

Note: This thread is 3846 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been playing for about six months now and I am nowhere near good but leaps and bounds from where I started. I have taken a few lessons that have helped alot but feel like my grip is lacking. I think I lost sight of it while working on alot of other things and the other day at the driving range started to develop blister on the pad of my thumb and bottom knuckle of my pointer finger of my right hand (I am right handed) which I would think would mean I am doing way to much with my right hand.? (Squeezing and pushing) would you agree? Do you concentrat on your grip with every approach? Also I watched a video where It advised to put a fingers width between your middle and pointer finger so I have and was not instructed to do otherwise by my coach but after thinking about it it feels like I am setting myself up to do too much with my right hand with the gap. What do you think/do?

How often should one evaluate their grip? VERY VERY often. Should you think about it on every shot? You shouldn't think about anything in an ideal world. If you get to the point where you can put your hands on the club correctly every time without thinking too much about it, you will be a long way to being more consistent.

Even the best players get "grip creep" where they let their perfect grip slip into bad habits.

1. Know what your perfect grip looks like and feels like.

2. Make it a habit.

3. Review often to make shure your grip is still perfect.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

One of my recurring themes is to suggest new players (like myself) taking lessons on a fairly regular basis.  How regular is, of course, open to debate, but about the time you are feeling like your grip may need adjustment it is probably time to pony up for another.  The grip should be about the first thing a pro checks at the start of a lesson.

I don't agonize over it or anything, but I am very conscious about taking my grip at the beginning of each shot.  Depending on the shot I am thinking of, I may make the grip a bit stronger or weaker, choke down a bit, etc.  That helps me to avoid slipping into bad habits to some degree I think, and I guess you could say I "evaluate" my grip each time. To me, the grip is mighty important.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

I would defitely say I am councious of it but over the course of a couple of months t gradually transforms to crap? Do you guys put any space between the pointer and middle fingers of your right hand or let them fall naturally?

Note: This thread is 3846 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!