IGNORED

whats the difference between a putt and a chip?

dchoye
Note: This thread is 2992 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Watched Steve elk short game video and like how he uses TGM principle to distinguish between different chip and pitch shots. Basically a standard chip shot is angled hinge with a putting grip. A pitch is just a full angled hinge with regular grip

Elk is an idiot.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Watched Steve elk short game video and like how he uses TGM principle to distinguish between different chip and pitch shots. Basically a standard chip shot is angled hinge with a putting grip. A pitch is just a full angled hinge with regular grip

All due respect, I'm surprised this is a confusing aspect of the game to you with all the chip/pitching information on this site. The hinge actions are kind of BS. I can pitch or chip it with all 3 hinge actions.

Chip- little or no wrist hinge, almost like a putting stroke

Pitch- Uses more of the bounce of the club, more wrist cock/hinge

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

The hinge actions are kind of BS. I can pitch or chip it with all 3 hinge actions.

In order: Horizontal, Angled and Vertical

Horizontal, Angled

Vertical

Mike McLoughlin

Your are right .TgM is BS. Full of crap there is no horizontal hinge Just vertical and angle hinge exist What people were lead to believe horizontal hinging is separate entity were fools HH is just angle hinge with full release roll and not really a true golf hinge like angle or vertical

A putt rolls across the green towards the hole. A chip rockets over the green towards the sand.

How did this not get like 8 thumbs up? lol

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

• Administrator

Your are right .TgM is BS. Full of crap

there is no horizontal hinge

Just vertical and angle hinge exist

What people were lead to believe horizontal hinging is separate entity were fools

HH is just angle hinge with full release roll and not really a true golf hinge like angle or vertical

I think you're missing the point… What does any of that matter?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Your are right .TgM is BS. Full of crap

there is no horizontal hinge

Just vertical and angle hinge exist

What people were lead to believe horizontal hinging is separate entity were fools

HH is just angle hinge with full release roll and not really a true golf hinge like angle or vertical

The point is that none of it matters!

Which guy is drawing it and which one is fading it?

Same question...

The guys in the left pics drew it and the golfers on the right both faded it, yet the guy in the red is in a similar position as the guy in the lower right but the ball flights are curving in opposite directions.

Here's the #1 reason the hinge actions don't matter, they occur after impact! You can't influence the ball flight after you've hit the ball.

Mike McLoughlin

You demonstrated it beautifully mvmac In the full swing only angled hinge exist either 45deg open or closed for draw/fade. Anything else is just an manipulation of angled hinge. HH and VH do not exist in the long game. And VH can exist only in the short game with lobbing, flopping or putting as shown on your earlier excellent video

• 11 months later...

there seems to be a lot of threads about chip/pitch differences, but I feel that I can sometimes 'chip" with a putter and 'putt' with a iron/wedge around the green.

so what are some current thoughts about differences between greenside putt/chip and when would you use one way or another?

there seems to be a lot of threads about chip/pitch differences, but I feel that I can sometimes 'chip" with a putter and 'putt' with a iron/wedge around the green.

so what are some current thoughts about differences between greenside putt/chip and when would you use one way or another?

Just revisiting this topic.

There was some sidetrack to this discussion.

Seems to me that putting is naturally rolling the ball.

there a thread about chipping using a "putting" method  and it's basically using the toe to chip and ball starts rolling right away.

regular chipping, there a bit of carry then ball settle down and then rolls at the end.

there's a bit more forceful projection of the ball

I been finding that if I focus on the tip end of the shaft I can chip more effectively.

When I focus on the butt end of the shaft, then it becomes more like the chipping using the "putting method"

Chips are hit with all the irons...putts are putted with a putter...

Now a iron can be used to hit the ball in the equator to create a roll close to that roll of a putt... This is only used when the ball is in the ruff and has some grass interfering with the use of a regular chip... this shot is only used when the ball is very close to the green.....it makes a little hop to get out of trouble then rolls the rest of the way

A putter can be used to steeply hit down on the upper part of the ball to  make it hop and spin a lot...it.s tougher to gauge distance because it's tough to determine the amount of spin you will create so it.s a last choice...

The only thing that some don't know is you can use a iron and chip when the ball is sitting on the green...

Chips are hit with all the irons...putts are putted with a putter...

Disagree. You can chip with a wedge.

Chip- engaging more of the leading edge, little or no wrist hinge, almost like a putting stroke

Mike McLoughlin

Disagree. You can chip with a wedge.

Chip- engaging more of the leading edge, little or no wrist hinge, almost like a putting stroke

My guess is you have a reading problem.. I said you can chip with all your irons and a wedge is a iron...

As far as your other chip and pitch ideas...There are at least a thousand different ways to chip and pitch

and your ideas are no better than the rest....

Nothing I said was wrong..........Why didn't you quote me so everyone can see....

Edit: Why did you delete my post to you...My guess is you couldn't take could you :whistle:

• Administrator

My guess is you have a reading problem.. I said you can chip with all your irons and a wedge is a iron...

As far as your other chip and pitch ideas...There are at least a thousand different ways to chip and pitch

and your ideas are no better than the rest....

Nothing I said was wrong..........Why didn't you quote me so everyone can see....

Edit: Why did you delete my post to you...My guess is you couldn't take could you

Because you swore and behaved like a child. He also isn't the one who deleted your post - another moderator did.

Furthermore, when some people say "irons" they mean the clubs numbered (typically) 3-9. The wedges are called "wedges" and are often considered as separate.

Stop behaving poorly, @jcjim . This site really has about one rule, and it's to behave maturely. You can disagree, and discuss, but do so maturely.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 months later...

Another update I want to share with everyone.  

I been "chipping" with my putter and "putting" with the same putter.  The only difference is chipping has a "hit" feeling with a bit of wrist break.  I am more concerned about distance control then direction

when I "putt" with a putter I  tend to "stroke" the ball with no feeling of a "hit" there is very little discerning wrist break.  I tend to see specific line (rather than a ribbon in chipping) and a matching speed 

when I putt I like to feel lifting the putter with last three fingers of my left hand primary stroking from the left hand control

when I chip I like to lift the club with the middle and right fingers at the middle knuckles and feel like the "hit" is powered by my right palm

I think with a putt the forearms don't rotate at all,with a chip they do although I do practice using no rotation which I think may be the route to go.Another thing I do is grip the putter while it's soled but grip the wedge while hovering......no supination or pronation with putting

Edited by collapse

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

Note: This thread is 2992 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!