Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Royster1984

Short Iron Distances

9 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I am having a little bit a issue with the distances I am hitting my shorter clubs. I thought I would run it by here see if I can get some advice/help.

Here is my rough distances with my clubs for reference.

Driver - 240

3 Wood - 215

5 Wood - 200

4H - 175

5i - 160

6i - 150

7i - 140

8i - 125

9i - 110

PW - 95

52 Wedge - 70

58 Wedge - 50

In terms of gaps between my clubs are shorter clubs hitting short??  I mean if I hit my 7i - 140, is hitting my 52 wedge around 70 about right or something wrong??

When I play with other people they seem to hit there shorter clubs alot further than myself and its got me thinking abit. I do have a really high ball flight with all my clubs so I guess that does not help. Any feedback or advice would be great.

Thanks For Your Time

Anthony

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Distance seems to be a huge consideration/worry for a lot of people, and if you read the ad copy in the magazines, getting max distance from your irons must be at least as important as keeping your "T" levels up.

I don't think your numbers sound all that bad, but I'm not a long hitter and am quite content in that position.  A nice high ball flight probably means that a lot of your approach shots should come in and land on the green without a lot of roll out.  That's not a bad thing if you put it in a good place to begin with.  Fact is, having less total range on your clubs will require a bit less "touch" with the shortest wedge around the green.

My advice, give up worrying about overall distance.  Fret about direction and distance control within your natural range, whatever that is.

Dependent on ball position and loft at impact.

Also, do they hit all their clubs further?

A little bit but its not so much noticeable till the lower Irons, maybe I am just being a little bit over worried.

Ball position seems to be a bit of a issue I tend to play my short irons in the middle of my stance, which I guess seems it more airborne.

Distance seems to be a huge consideration/worry for a lot of people, and if you read the ad copy in the magazines, getting max distance from your irons must be at least as important as keeping your "T" levels up.

I don't think your numbers sound all that bad, but I'm not a long hitter and am quite content in that position.  A nice high ball flight probably means that a lot of your approach shots should come in and land on the green without a lot of roll out.  That's not a bad thing if you put it in a good place to begin with.  Fact is, having less total range on your clubs will require a bit less "touch" with the shortest wedge around the green.

My advice, give up worrying about overall distance.  Fret about direction and distance control within your natural range, whatever that is.

Yeah I don't really mind being a little bit shorter, was just looking into the reason if I was.

I find myself pretty accurate for my handicap level from 70 yards in with my wedge but was thinking If I was making a error which was causing the shots to be 20-30 yards shorter. Then I could fix that and be a bit more deadly from another 20-30 yards if you get what I mean.

play the ball back in your stance.. and farther back than you think you should. if youre right handed play it off ur right big toe. choke down on the club a bit this way you dont hit it fat and make your same swing. Im not entirely sure how much yardage if any you will get out of it i have never seen ur swing but it will flight the ball and make you more accurate regardless of how far you are hitting ur short irons. the way I see it is my 9-60 are scoring clubs and I shorten my swing on every club in that range. I can hit my pw 160 yards if i wanted to but will never go more than 135. simply because thats where i am most comfortable swinging that club to give myrself more control of my swing

Need to go to a pro and get your swing looked at. You most likely have a flaw in your swing causing lack of distance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Need to go to a pro and get your swing looked at. You most likely have a flaw in your swing causing lack of distance.

Yeah going to visit my local pro see if he can put me right