IGNORED

My Swing (billchao)

billchao

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

Doubt it. It's just a subconscious swing trigger.

Do you have any thoughts on the hinging and cocking of the lead wrist?...ie: is it pre-set or manipulated or something that just happens?

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

22 minutes ago, collapse said:

Do you have any thoughts on the hinging and cocking of the lead wrist?...ie: is it pre-set or manipulated or something that just happens?

None, it just happens. If anything I have to consciously think about downcocking it to keep it from over-hinging.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@collapse you are not an instructor and your posts never seem to help people.-They just point out some little thing here and there that often has no real importance to the golf swing.

Seems like it is time for you to put up or shut up-You do not break 80 regularly and you do not seem to have any idea how to give instruction. Where do you play? Where is your My Swing (collapse) thread?

• Upvote 3

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

35 minutes ago, Phil McGleno said:

@collapse you are not an instructor and your posts never seem to help people.-They just point out some little thing here and there that often has no real importance to the golf swing.

Seems like it is time for you to put up or shut up-You do not break 80 regularly and you do not seem to have any idea how to give instruction. Where do you play? Where is your My Swing (collapse) thread?

Phil..this is quite the outburst.I seem to be having fairly good exchanges with others .I don't really see your acidic tones as something I need to judge my presence by,nor pay much attention to.

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

23 minutes ago, collapse said:

Phil..this is quite the outburst.I seem to be having fairly good exchanges with others .I don't really see your acidic tones as something I need to judge my presence by,nor pay much attention to.

I agree with @Phil McGleno on this one. You haven't actually done anything here but point out that I move my hands to start my backswing. You haven't said what the movement could possibly be doing in my swing; you simply pointed it out and asked some questions, like, "so this happens....", without actually providing any reasoning behind it. 

Trust me, I of all people know all the idiosyncrasies of my swing, but I don't care about any particular one unless it's hindering me in some way. What you did is the equivalent of someone coming in pointing out that I was wearing a grey hat... I know that I was, but how is changing that supposed to help my golf swing?

We had polite conversation for sure, but a good exchange? If you're judging that based on the quality of the golf discussion, I'm not inclined to agree.

• Upvote 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, billchao said:

I agree with @Phil McGleno on this one. You haven't actually done anything here but point out that I move my hands to start my backswing. You haven't said what the movement could possibly be doing in my swing; you simply pointed it out and asked some questions, like, "so this happens....", without actually providing any reasoning behind it. 

Trust me, I of all people know all the idiosyncrasies of my swing, but I don't care about any particular one unless it's hindering me in some way. What you did is the equivalent of someone coming in pointing out that I was wearing a grey hat... I know that I was, but how is changing that supposed to help my golf swing?

We had polite conversation for sure, but a good exchange? If you're judging that based on the quality of the golf discussion, I'm not inclined to agree.

Bill...I pointed out what I consider a swing flaw on your part,lowering the hands,you didn't seem to think it was all that relevant....nuff said......I then asked you about hinging...no big deal either..it just happens.....nuff said.

4 minutes ago, collapse said:

Bill...I pointed out what I consider a swing flaw on your part,lowering the hands,you didn't seem to think it was all that relevant....nuff said......I then asked you about hinging...no big deal either..it just happens.....nuff said.

Well that's the point, you didn't bother explaining why you felt it was a flaw. All you basically did was come in and point out what you thought was wrong and walked away. So no, I don't feel it's a flaw and you didn't do much to change my mind.

Bill

My Swing Thread

4 hours ago, billchao said:

Doubt it. It's just a subconscious swing trigger.

I did begin to pursue it and your answer was the above.The "powers that be" on this forum like to keep their fingers hovering over the "warning" trolling button if I appear to be pursuing a point,especially one that isn't being received.

20 minutes ago, collapse said:

I did begin to pursue it and your answer was the above.The "powers that be" on this forum like to keep their fingers hovering over the "warning" trolling button if I appear to be pursuing a point,especially one that isn't being received.

Yea and then I went on to elaborate that hinging is almost the opposite of what I want to feel in my backswing. It's something my instructor @pcombs21 and I worked on over the summer.

So to elaborate further: no, hinging more is not what I want to do. The hands lowering is probably a holdover from my old swing and not something I consciously do or necessarily want to happen.

You're forgetting that I'm one of the "powers that be" and I've twice asked you to explain your position here which you have yet to do. If it can be proven or disproven, then let's see it. Otherwise you're just wasting everybody's time.

Bill

My Swing Thread

27 minutes ago, collapse said:

A point can't be received until you actually make one.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

• Administrator
1 hour ago, collapse said:

Completely untrue. As @SavvySwede notes, you rarely make a point. You haven't established yourself as being knowledgeable about the golf swing at all, so in addition to doling out your advice you should also tell people why you're pointing that particular thing out, what it will fix or improve, how the person should fix it, etc. @mvmac and I don't always have to do all of those things (though we're always willing and capable of doing so should the person ask) because people trust us, because we have a built-up reputation for knowing what we're talking about.

You're 100% wrong about "the powers that be" hovering over the "warning" button. You've gotten warnings for two posts so far:

On that post - despite repeatedly using @mvmac's swing as your "model" in several posts, you said "Finally a sensible swing on this site." You said nothing else in the post. It's continued trolling; nothing more. Then you got a warning (not from me) for:

Yet another obnoxious comment, that's off-topic, incites another member who handled your repeated jabs with grace in the other thread, and doesn't add a single thing to the conversation.

These posts, I will say again, are not outliers. They are a continuation of your pattern of posting.

I'd like to second this post from up above:

3 hours ago, Phil McGleno said:

Let's see your Member Swing thread. Where do you play golf? Where's your handicap listing? I'll add a few, too: What tournament rounds have you played? What's your real name? Are you @mythbuster or any other account on this site?

This meta discussion is off-topic for Bill's "Member Swing" thread, and will stop now. Please feel free to create your Member Swing thread any time.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

Videos from today. I'll make notes about them at another time.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot to add notes to the last videos. Oops. Anyway, between work, rain, and finally being cold, it hasn't been a good January for golfing. Did manage to hit the range last week which was good. Hit too many balls though. Got to practice some today, too.

Here's the "before" swing:

It's pretty much exactly what it is on the range, too (those videos were poor quality so I didn't bother uploading). Solid shots are slight draws and the occasional fade with very little curve. Miss tends to be out towards the toe over-draws and start line inconsistencies. I think I hit a shank, too, and not on purpose. Hitting the ball higher than I'm used to seeing, but not ballooning.

Worked today on adding a bowing of the left wrist (in concert with a hinging of the right) on the backswing at about A3 or so to keep the wrists from collapsing at transition and tipping the clubhead down and across the line, as well as shallow the club in transition.

Here's some of the practice of me just focusing on the wrist bowing:

I went with that for most of the session and then added my karate chop feel at the end for a few swings with everything combined.

Here are those swings:

Really happy with that result. Going to keep working on this to make it automatic.

Here's the DTL in real speed:

Bill

My Swing Thread

On January 17, 2016 at 7:32 PM, billchao said:

Forgot to add notes to the last videos. Oops. Anyway, between work, rain, and finally being cold, it hasn't been a good January for golfing. Did manage to hit the range last week which was good. Hit too many balls though. Got to practice some today, too.

Here's the "before" swing:

It's pretty much exactly what it is on the range, too (those videos were poor quality so I didn't bother uploading). Solid shots are slight draws and the occasional fade with very little curve. Miss tends to be out towards the toe over-draws and start line inconsistencies. I think I hit a shank, too, and not on purpose. Hitting the ball higher than I'm used to seeing, but not ballooning.

Worked today on adding a bowing of the left wrist (in concert with a hinging of the right) on the backswing at about A3 or so to keep the wrists from collapsing at transition and tipping the clubhead down and across the line, as well as shallow the club in transition.

Here's some of the practice of me just focusing on the wrist bowing:

I went with that for most of the session and then added my karate chop feel at the end for a few swings with everything combined.

Here are those swings:

Really happy with that result. Going to keep working on this to make it automatic.

Here's the DTL in real speed:

Very cool! Absolutely mesmerizing to watch. Great work practicing well. 

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

1 hour ago, dkolo said:

Very cool! Absolutely mesmerizing to watch. Great work practicing well. 

Thanks! This is the year!

Haha sounded like a Cubs fan for a second there. :-D

Bill

My Swing Thread

• 5 weeks later...

Decent weather out so I managed to sneak in a practice session despite it being a pretty busy weekend. Got some new videos:

Notes:

1. Went back to the basics to clean up a couple of things, namely posture and pivot. Rounded the upper back more because I noticed lately that I've been looking down at the ball instead of with the center of my field of vision and focused on kicking the left knee inwards in the backswing. Best centered pivot I think I have ever made, along with increased hip turn.
  2. Need to increase shoulder turn rates to go along with the hip turn increasing. Looks like I'm too slow on the shoulder turn, then overcompensate by turning too far too late in the backswing. Possibly the reason my arms are behind the hips in the downswing? Or maybe I'm just overturning the shoulders in general and it's a separate issue altogether.
  3. Didn't do the wrist bowing properly. Results in the left wrist starting to hinge right from A4, steep transition, etc. Old news. Really need to be conscious of that still (and probably forever).
  4. I was trying something where instead of feeling like I was swinging with my arms in the downswing, I felt like I was trying to push my left foot down as hard as I could into the ground (conversely, extending the left knee hard). I really like what it does with my lower body action but my head comes pretty far off the wall DTL. Not regaining flexion? Going to play around with feeling like I'm extending my left side and flexing my right side simultaneously and see what happens.

I need to figure out how I can set up a tee and practice my driver swing. I really should be doing nothing but driver swings.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• 3 weeks later...

Current swing:

I've been working on something that I tried out a couple of weeks ago, liked the change it made so I stuck with it. Basically what I do is I feel like I'm turning (or tilting) the butt of the club to point it at the ball at the top of backswing.

My original thought was that since crossing the line meant the BoC pointed to East Bumble**** at A4 which resulted in me pulling the club down steep and having to throw my arms out to shallow the shaft, I could point the BoC at the ball to start my transition from across the line to back on plane ASAP.

What ended up actually happening is that my club never gets across the line because my conscious motion ends before the actual top of my backswing due to momentum or whatever, so I actually begin the process of getting the club back on plane before it ever gets off plane.

When I first started this move I completely lost the bottom of my swing and any semblance of path control, hitting lots of thins, fats, and shanks. Now I feel like the contact is more consistent so I have to keep working at it. Also I keep addressing the ball too far towards the toe of the club. I need to monitor that.

I feel like I dumb lucked my way into this move so needless to say, I'm as giddy as a blind squirrel with a nut right now.

Bill

My Swing Thread

5 hours ago, billchao said:

Current swing:

I've been working on something that I tried out a couple of weeks ago, liked the change it made so I stuck with it. Basically what I do is I feel like I'm turning (or tilting) the butt of the club to point it at the ball at the top of backswing.

My original thought was that since crossing the line meant the BoC pointed to East Bumble**** at A4 which resulted in me pulling the club down steep and having to throw my arms out to shallow the shaft, I could point the BoC at the ball to start my transition from across the line to back on plane ASAP.

What ended up actually happening is that my club never gets across the line because my conscious motion ends before the actual top of my backswing due to momentum or whatever, so I actually begin the process of getting the club back on plane before it ever gets off plane.

When I first started this move I completely lost the bottom of my swing and any semblance of path control, hitting lots of thins, fats, and shanks. Now I feel like the contact is more consistent so I have to keep working at it. Also I keep addressing the ball too far towards the toe of the club. I need to monitor that.

I feel like I dumb lucked my way into this move so needless to say, I'm as giddy as a blind squirrel with a nut right now.

Great swing looks like a tour player stick with that one.