IGNORED

My Swing (billchao)

billchao

I'm just going to comment on your bunker shots, and I did watch all of the vid. Here's what I saw, looks like you made a nice swing, except you decelled through the shots, when you should be accelerating, other than that, I can't see well enough to say anymore. It's to bad that bunker doesn't have more sand in it, kinda like the bunkers at my home course...sigh.

Thanks for pointing that out. I think I have a tendency to hit at the ball instead of through it. Like I said, the bunkers on the course are actually pretty decent, but the one on the practice green is junk. Don't know why. [quote name="14ledo81" url="/t/70666/my-swing-billchao/60#post_997671"]Full swing is looking good. Looks like you have a lot of lag. Key 3 looks good. I would think your handicap has to start coming down.[/quote]Thanks! I feel the same way about my handicap, just have to play enough rounds and figure out my aim. That, and stop throwing away shots around the green. [quote name="Abu3baid" url="/t/70666/my-swing-billchao/60#post_997692"]Very nice Bill.. One thing I noticed is that your lower back is slightly arched during your set up, not sure if this is a priority or not, but figured I would point it out as it is easy for me to get out of position at set up sometimes as well. [/quote]Thanks, Eyad. Honestly, I haven't done any posture work in a while, so I don't think about it. I think it's a neutral spine position for me, but if somebody thinks it needs work, I'll work on it.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

So, some quick notes on what I see:

• Move the BoC (butt of club) forward a bit in your putting stance. Ball might need to go back a teeny bit as well. Delivering too much loft too late in the stroke. Otherwise good stroke. Just make the tiny change.
  • Pitching: much better than the short pitches from the rough.
  • Sand: more around, and stop "diving" into the sand or letting your knees go soft around impact. Start extending them slightly as if you're jumping, which will send the clubhead down so it can spank the sand. That's why it looks like you decel… because you do. The club won't actually, but the jump move (extend the knees) will feel like the club is accelerating from 6 to 8.
  • Full Swing - just watch how quickly the wrists hinge. Swing looks good - the forward press and exaggerated wrist hinge from 1 to 2.5 are a bit extreme. Not necessarily a problem, but something to keep an eye on and play around with a bit more of a Steve Stricker feel on the backswing. If your wrists over-cock/hinge on the BS, they'll often want to come un-cock/hinge early on the downswing.

BTW, you should hitch a ride with @nevets88 and come out to the August TST get-together here in Erie.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

BTW, you should hitch a ride with @nevets88 and come out to the August TST get-together here in Erie.

Thanks for the feedback, Erik. I'll digest it later, when I have time to. In the meantime, I'll look into the Erie outing. My birthday is the 20th, so maybe I can convince my wife to let me go as a gift.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Move the BoC (butt of club) forward a bit in your putting stance. Ball might need to go back a teeny bit as well. Delivering too much loft too late in the stroke. Otherwise good stroke. Just make the tiny change.

Sounds easy enough. Will that help me with the distance control, or should I start practicing that more?

Pitching: much better than the short pitches from the rough.

Yea, those short pitches sucked. I really didn't want to hit them too far, so they came out weird and choppy.

Sand: more around, and stop "diving" into the sand or letting your knees go soft around impact. Start extending them slightly as if you're jumping, which will send the clubhead down so it can spank the sand. That's why it looks like you decel… because you do. The club won't actually, but the jump move (extend the knees) will feel like the club is accelerating from 6 to 8.

I'll work on that. Should I do the knee extending on my regular pitch shots, too?

Full Swing - just watch how quickly the wrists hinge. Swing looks good - the forward press and exaggerated wrist hinge from 1 to 2.5 are a bit extreme. Not necessarily a problem, but something to keep an eye on and play around with a bit more of a Steve Stricker feel on the backswing. If your wrists over-cock/hinge on the BS, they'll often want to come un-cock/hinge early on the downswing.

For some reason or another, I went away from that forward press, years ago. I said I didn't want to go back to it, but I started doing it in the middle of my last round, and it worked. I'm not one to argue with results.

What do you mean by Steve Stricker feel? I was looking at my A4 as something I should work on next, because I think the wrist over-cock is part of why my clubshaft gets across the line and I'm parallel with a SW. Wasted motion getting there, and adds compensation to get it back right. Would you say that is my next priority, and would the Steve Stricker feel help?

Thanks, again, for the feedback.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Sounds easy enough. Will that help me with the distance control, or should I start practicing that more?

Yes. Too much loft at impact, I'd imagine.

I'll work on that. Should I do the knee extending on my regular pitch shots, too?

You seem to do it a lot more on bunker shots. Bunker shots are really shallow. Too many ams take too much sand.

For some reason or another, I went away from that forward press, years ago. I said I didn't want to go back to it, but I started doing it in the middle of my last round, and it worked. I'm not one to argue with results.

Your wrists cock a bit too much a bit too quickly. Steve Stricker = the opposite of that. :) Very little wrist cock/hinge.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I was playing around with a couple of things today, figured I'd share:

First, adjusted the right hand grip. Felt like it wasn't in the fingers enough, as I was told to do, so I adjusted it. Really feels like my right hand is holding my left hand instead of the club now. I wonder if maybe I overdid it? I feel PP1 a lot more this way, though.

Second thing was trying out the Steve Stricker feeling. I took it to the extreme: since I cock/hinge my wrists too much and too quickly, I felt like I was making swings while intentionally down-cocking my left wrist. Basically felt like I was maintaining the angle between my forearms and clubshaft from address throughout the swing. I did this and recorded it, found myself still doing that funky wrist thing at A4 anyway, so I took it even further and added a left wrist bow feel.

This is the result:

Obviously, I'm still overswinging (way too much shoulder turn), but I kinda like the backswing. Ok, actually I really like it, gotta film one where I'm not turning 140° and see what it looks like. I'll just tell myself to make 3/4 swings all day.

I think the next thing I need is more jump. I rotate around that front knee in a funny way and it's especially noticeable in the way I move A7-10. Going to work on extending the front leg earlier and let that sling the handle through.

Plan is to play Sunday, so stayed tuned for my vlog...

Edit: Am I making too many changes too quickly? Maybe I should take some time to really ingrain the new moves before I move on.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Obviously, I'm still overswinging (way too much shoulder turn), but I kinda like the backswing. Ok, actually I really like it, gotta film one where I'm not turning 140° and see what it looks like. I'll just tell myself to make 3/4 swings all day.

I think the next thing I need is more jump. I rotate around that front knee in a funny way and it's especially noticeable in the way I move A7-10. Going to work on extending the front leg earlier and let that sling the handle through.

The only problem I see with your backswing length is that your arms are a bit slow to get down (because they're so far from impact at A4).

Pictures that illustrate just how late they are and then how, when they try to catch up, you have a bit more aggressive "throwing" than we tend to want to see. It's close to or is inline at impact, don't get me wrong, but it's gonna be more inconsistent than necessary.

Stop the backswing at A3 (your feeling, not that it will actually stop there) and sequencing should clean up).

I would NOT worry about jumping more now. Get these pieces down and you'll be better off.

The only problem I see with your backswing length is that your arms are a bit slow to get down (because they're so far from impact at A4). Pictures that illustrate just how late they are and then how, when they try to catch up, you have a bit more aggressive "throwing" than we tend to want to see. It's close to or is inline at impact, don't get me wrong, but it's gonna be more inconsistent than necessary. Stop the backswing at A3 (your feeling, not that it will actually stop there) and sequencing should clean up). [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/99279/] [/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/99280/] [/URL] I would NOT worry about jumping more now. Get these pieces down and you'll be better off.

Thanks for the feedback. Stopping at (my feel) A3 is exactly what I thought I had to do, too. Question though, you said there's nothing wrong with my backswing length other than the rate at which I bring my arms down. So do I work on shortening backswing, or bringing the arms down faster from A4?

Bill

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Question though, you said there's nothing wrong with my backswing length other than the rate at which I bring my arms down. So do I work on shortening backswing, or bringing the arms down faster from A4?

I think with a shorter backswing your arms won't carry on as long, and if they come down at the same rate they'll effectively be coming down "faster."

If your hips and arms are both trying to get to New York, your hips are starting from Miami while your arms are starting from LA.

I think with a shorter backswing your arms won't carry on as long, and if they come down at the same rate they'll effectively be coming down "faster."

But what if I want to hit it stupid long? ;-) Just kidding, I'm gonna work on stopping at "A3"

Bill

My Swing Thread

As promised, vlog from Sunday's round:

Bill

My Swing Thread

I responded in the vlog thread, but this bears repeating.  Excellent drive and hybrid shot on #3!! :drool:

I play 6,000 yard tees at my home course, and I can't reach any of the par 5's in 2... :-(

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I responded in the vlog thread, but this bears repeating.  Excellent drive and hybrid shot on #3!!:drool: I play 6,000 yard tees at my home course, and I can't reach any of the par 5's in 2...:-(

Thanks. You'll see some increase in distance, don't worry. Just keep working on that swing! [quote name="BENtSwing32" url="/t/70666/my-swing-billchao/60#post_1002252"]Nice vlog. Loving the high hands at the end of your swing...Hogan style. What irons are you playing with? [/quote]Thanks, I'm pretty proud of the high hands, too, especially considering how low and around myself I used to swing. They're Taylormade RBZ HP irons.

Bill

My Swing Thread

I'm still trying to find a reliable way to stop my backswing earlier. @iacas , is there a "trigger" that can help? What I mean is, right now I just turn everything until I can't turn anymore. Since that is too long, is there something that will signal to me that I've reached the top, without overswinging? I was thinking maybe if I fold my right elbow faster, and stop my backswing when it can't fold anymore, would that be worth looking into? Or should I just make myself swing shorter?

Bill

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

I'm still trying to find a reliable way to stop my backswing earlier.

@iacas, is there a "trigger" that can help? What I mean is, right now I just turn everything until I can't turn anymore. Since that is too long, is there something that will signal to me that I've reached the top, without overswinging?

I was thinking maybe if I fold my right elbow faster, and stop my backswing when it can't fold anymore, would that be worth looking into? Or should I just make myself swing shorter?

Stop at A3. It'll probably still be too long. If so, stop at A2.5. :)

Ok, thanks. I'll end up stopping at A2 I'm sure lol Did you see my "knockdown" 5? Backswing went all the way to A4, yet I thought I was making a half swing. I'll have to spend some time mapping out my backswing lengths and their associated feels.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

Ok, thanks. I'll end up stopping at A2 I'm sure lol

Did you see my "knockdown" 5? Backswing went all the way to A4, yet I thought I was making a half swing. I'll have to spend some time mapping out my backswing lengths and their associated feels.

LOL, you'd be surprised. I know a few pros who felt like they were swinging to A2 and had to do that for a while in order to shorten their swings.

Andy Plummer actually told me a story how when he was a mini-tour player, he struggled like crazy. One day, before a tourney, he was hitting it terribly warming up on the range. So he decided he was just going to swing to hip height for the tourney because that was the only way he could keep the ball going straight.

At the end of the round, he actually played pretty well. But, feeling embarrassed, he went up to his playing partners and apologized for "hitting chip shots around the course all day." They all gave him a confused look. "Your swing looked normal to me. I didn't noticed anything."

That was the day he realized feel wasn't real. This was before filming your swing was a thing, like the 1980s and early 90s I guess.

Constantine