IGNORED

A6 and club path

Note: This thread is 3838 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So with winter approaching I'm going to working mostly with a net. I find myself obsessing a little over my alignments at A6 because, as far as I know, that's the only indication of the path your club head is taking into the ball. So is this a reliable way to monitor my path or should I be looking at something else? If I keep my club head inside my hands or at least covering them am I good or is there more to it?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Look at the video from A6 to A7. I can't remember what you use for a camera, but try to pause it about 6" or so before you hit the ball, or close to that. You will know easily at that point. Also at A6, the right elbow position and the right forearm to shaft angle tells you a lot as well.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I think during the winter months, if you have a indoor net setup, a high speed camera/tripod and enough light, you can get a lot done. You can setup your laptop nearby and swing and analyze, especially using the DTL view to understand your A6 more and what you're doing.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Look at the video from A6 to A7. I can't remember what you use for a camera, but try to pause it about 6" or so before you hit the ball, or close to that. You will know easily at that point. Also at A6, the right elbow position and the right forearm to shaft angle tells you a lot as well.

I have a canon power shot Elph that can record up to 240fps but I usually work with 120fps due to lighting constraints. So I guess the +/-6" prior to impact is a more reliable indicator of path than A6? I try to get my shaft to eclipse my right for arm at around A5.5 but the last few practice session I couldn't swing from the inside to save my life!!! Really frustrating because I thought I had that bit nailed down pretty good lately and video confirmed I did but now...no dice. All the feels and thought processes that we're working so well last week are failing me this week. Stupid game :-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I think during the winter months, if you have a indoor net setup, a high speed camera/tripod and enough light, you can get a lot done. You can setup your laptop nearby and swing and analyze, especially using the DTL view to understand your A6 more and what you're doing.

Totally agree. In fact in my case I would argue that working with a net is MORE productive, I get too wrapped up in hitting balls on the range and tend to get too fast, with a net I'm more apt to take my time and focus on the process. Much easier to isolate and work on a specific piece when the siren song of the 340 yard drive isn't beckoning!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

So with winter approaching I'm going to working mostly with a net. I find myself obsessing a little over my alignments at A6 because, as far as I know, that's the only indication of the path your club head is taking into the ball.

So is this a reliable way to monitor my path or should I be looking at something else? If I keep my club head inside my hands or at least covering them am I good or is there more to it?

Yes at A6 clubhead either on the hands or slightly inside the hands.  Obviously first and foremost is to work on your priority piece and make sure you're hitting it solid ;-) Here are a couple other things to take a look at.  At A5, club shaft either points at the ball or just outside of it.  At A9.5, hands exit around the mid bicep.  The hands exiting low and left or the club head exiting low and left could be indications the path is too far across the ball.

I'm sharing this stuff to answer your question and maybe help other gain some knowledge of what to look for. I am NOT saying this stuff needs to be your new swing thoughts. It's like if your instructor told you to work on Key #1, you rarely actually focus on the head when trying to keep it steady.

Left pics would be a good indication path is left

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Yes at A6 clubhead either on the hands or slightly inside the hands.  Obviously first and foremost is to work on your priority piece and make sure you're hitting it solid   Here are a couple other things to take a look at.  At A5, club shaft either points at the ball or just outside of it.  At A9.5, hands exit around the mid bicep.  The hands exiting low and left or the club head exiting low and left could be indications the path is too far across the ball.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvmac

I'm sharing this stuff to answer your question and maybe help other gain some knowledge of what to look for.  I am NOT saying this stuff needs to be your new swing thoughts.  It's like if your instructor told you to work on Key #1, you rarely actually focus on the head when trying to keep it steady.

Gotcha! I have some thoughts and processes which work some days and not other days. This question was more about analysing video and not so much execution.

Left pics would be a good indication path is left

These are great and give me some models to compare with.

Thanks a lot!

:-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Gotcha! I have some thoughts and processes which work some days and not other days. This question was more about analysing video and not so much execution.

Yeah sorry just something I have to say when I put out "technical" stuff like this.  Not necessarily directed at you but def for others reading the thread that might be looking for quick tips ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

For me the key to getting a flatter shaft at A5 to A6 is using the right elbow properly. I have found that working the elbow in faster towards the belly button flattens the shaft quickly. Just my 0.02

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

So I guess the +/-6" prior to impact is a more reliable indicator of path than A6?

Not sure about that, Mike obviously has the most educated answer and gave a really good one.  I just check the club head relation to the ball just before impact when I have any doubt about what might be happening.  If there is any question you can always fall back on it.

Quote:
All the feels and thought processes that we're working so well last week are failing me this week.

Sometimes the feels dull. ;-) You just have to keep searching for it again.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Note: This thread is 3838 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!