IGNORED

Need some serious advice on etiquette

Hemi
Note: This thread is 3827 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Three of us were playing a par four. One guy hit his ball into some pretty think trees only about 30 meters from the tee. He played a provisional ball and then went looking for his first shot. We just played on - didn't wait for him and when he came out (less than 5 minutes later) we were already on the green (300 meters away) putting out. He didn't play out the hole - and just left. I only saw him walk off. I have not spoken to him since and when i have called and left messages he has not replied. I think he is upset about us not waiting. Have i broken a rule of golf? and do you think he has a right to be upset?

Any advice welcome

You didn't break a "rule" of golf.

This is really a personal situation as someone people don't like being left behind and some don't mind at all.  In this situation it seems as if this guy may have thought it impolite for you guys to leave him behind.  He also may have wanted help looking for his ball.  Either way, no rules were broken..  he just didn't like the way things went down.

Jeff

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The thing i should have mentioned was that i was playing with him and his wife. It was just me and her alone on the green after we left him behind. This might have added to the tension as i'm a bit of a flirt.

• Upvote 1

I don't know how much serious advice you'll get now. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

There's no way to really tell if you did the right thing given the scenario as presented. In order to properly advise, you need to post a picture of the wife.

Occam's razor

I don't know about a rule being broken, but I think it was rude not to help your fellow player look for his ball.  I won't argue that going ahead and taking your second shots while he searched could help speed play, but at that point you (and the smokin' hot wife) should have gone and helped him search.  I also think that, whether he found the ball or ended up playing out his provisional, it was not only rude but dangerous to move ahead to the green before he had a chance to take his second shot.  What was he supposed to do, wait for you to putt out before hitting his approach shot?

• Upvote 1

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Rude not to assist him for a minute or two if he was the only one in trouble. If I'm in the fairway and two other guys are in trouble, especially if you're in a cart, I will help one and then the other. And if you are with the guy's wife, use common sense. Don't make him feel small.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

The proper thing to do would have been to help look for his ball. The least you could have done is wait. You knew he wasn't feeling good about the shot, and since it sounds like you are friends, you should have helped him however you could. To top it off, you scored some alone time to flirt with his wife? I would have punched you in the face.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

When you played your second shots he was away (furthest from the hole) and common etiquette would be that he plays until he is no longer furthest from the hole. Most people have more or less done away with this custom in favour of ready-golf but under this scenario you should not have played your second shots until he was caught up with the group. You should have just made out with his old lady while you waited for him.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

The proper thing to do would have been to help look for his ball. The least you could have done is wait. You knew he wasn't feeling good about the shot, and since it sounds like you are friends, you should have helped him however you could. To top it off, you scored some alone time to flirt with his wife? I would have punched you in the face.

Sounds like you have trust issues with your wife/girlfriend. I have no issue with people "scoring alone time" with my wife, it's not like she's gonna run off a screw some other guy because she was left alone with a flirt. Our relationship is little stronger than that.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

The thing i should have mentioned was that i was playing with him and his wife. It was just me and her alone on the green after we left him behind. This might have added to the tension as i'm a bit of a flirt.

Lol. Are you Gilbergs uncle?

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Sounds like you have trust issues with your wife/girlfriend. I have no issue with people "scoring alone time" with my wife, it's not like she's gonna run off a screw some other guy because she was left alone with a flirt. Our relationship is little stronger than that.

Might not be a trust issue with his wife. He just doesn't want the other guy thinking its OK to flirt with his wife.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Rude not to assist him for a minute or two if he was the only one in trouble. If I'm in the fairway and two other guys are in trouble, especially if you're in a cart, I will help one and then the other.

And if you are with the guy's wife, use common sense. Don't make him feel small.

^^^^  This  ^^^^

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Sounds to me like everybody involved has issues.

Not a chance that I'm finishing out a hole, or even getting up ahead, when somebody is looking for a lost ball.

Not a chance that my wife is running off and leaving me looking for my ball to go off and finish the round with some other guy.

When (if) they ran off and left me I would have picked up my ball without finishing the hole and joined them on the next tee...And thanked them for not letting me finish the hole.

There aren't too many things that playing partners do that irritate me but getting ahead of me and in a position where I can't even hit my next shot pretty much tops the list.

Agreed.  I play ready golf, but even in ready golf you don't often move significantly ahead of anyone - much less to the green - not only for etiquette, but as to not get hit with a shot.  I don't think I've ever seen anyone go all the way to the green while a player is still 30 from the tee.

I'm thinking this story isn't real.  The wife would have had to do the same ridiculous thing you did.  And no mention of the wife abandoning you at the green to leave with him.  Did you and the wife 'finish the round' while your buddy went home?  Did you have to 'give her a ride' home?  or did she bring her own car?

Personally, I think it's poor etiquette not to help the guy look for his ball. Even if it's in the deepest jungle I would say it's still polite to at least make a token effort or maybe suggest there's no way he'd find it. I'd be seriously p***ed off if I went looking for my ball only to find, that on emerging from the undergrowth, not only hadn't my playing partners helped at all but that they'd carried on playing and were up on the green.

• Upvote 1

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Playing with a friend and not helping look for their ball? Yeah absolutely poor etiquette - but it sounds like there are underlying issues if he simply walked off the course in disgust. His wife may be playing into your flirtatious way.

Agreed.  I play ready golf, but even in ready golf you don't often move significantly ahead of anyone - much less to the green - not only for etiquette, but as to not get hit with a shot.  I don't think I've ever seen anyone go all the way to the green while a player is still 30 from the tee.

I'm thinking this story isn't real.  The wife would have had to do the same ridiculous thing you did.  And no mention of the wife abandoning you at the green to leave with him.  Did you and the wife 'finish the round' while your buddy went home?  Did you have to 'give her a ride' home?  or did she bring her own car?

There are two possibilities:

1.  The story is fake.

2.  The guy is having marital problems and the OP is the most inconsiderate golfer on the planet.  The wife didn't help her husband look for his ball? Seriously!?

Careful readers will note that the OP never says he was playing with "friends" just two other people.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Note: This thread is 3827 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!