IGNORED

Graphite shafts for Mizuno jpx 800s

Deimos
Note: This thread is 3822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi folks, I recently started playing and bought a set of jpx 800 irons with steel shafts. As i lived in China at the time i bought them online from the US because they were cheaper. I started practicing and ended up with tendonitis. I have just got full movement back in my hand. My doctor has oked me playing golf again but recommended i get graphite shafts because there is less jarring. I'll move to Hong Kong soon. Does it make sense to change the shafts on my current clubs? If so ~any tips? Any advice is really appreciated

Makes sense.  Usually when someone has joint problems, graphite shafts can help because there isnt as much vibration transmitted up the shaft and into the hands with graphite.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Got tennis elbow this summer from hitting too many balls on a hard range (and getting old). Changed from steel to AeroTech steel fiber -- graphite with a thing steel wrap. Less vibration and great shafts.

AeroTech shafts are one of many very good options

http://www.aerotechgolfshafts.com

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I would sell your irons Why? Mizuno makes lighter heads for steel shafts, and when you install a 65-75g graphite shaft in a lite head, you throw off the balance of the club Unless you have a great clubmaker or go to heavy graphite, you probably won't like the result I advise you start over unless you are young and get 110g graphite like the Arrotechs. And you need someone who knows Aerotech and you are overseas- so best bet is to sell/trade and get new

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi folks, I recently started playing and bought a set of jpx 800 irons with steel shafts. As i lived in China at the time i bought them online from the US because they were cheaper.

How ironic!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Thanks everyone. It seems i do need to switch to graphite. I am a guitarist and really want to protect my hands. There are mizuno fitters in hk so i'll seek advice on whether they can fit new shafts or if i should get new irons (and keep the 800s for friends to use). It is a bit ironic. In buying the 800s i bought clubs that were better than i deserved. I thought i wouldn't need to upgrade for a while and could sink future $ into lessons. I'll stick with mizuno though. The clubs are really nice. Thanks again

Good luck - I was on the mobile app when I posted - to make it clear -

Installing a lite graphite shaft into a liteweight club head will bring your swing weight down from let's say, for example, from  D2 to C2 (you've greatly altered club balance) - you won't feel the clubhead on the end of the stick when you swing unless you lengthen the shaft, and then the clubs will not fit (too long). What is as bad as losing swingweight is losing overall weight. Some people don't like a club that feels like nothing.

For graphite shafted clubs, Mizuno makes a heaver weighted head for better balance and swing weight to compensate for the lighter graphite shaft. Just a note -- Mizuno Graphite has a decent reputation for quality.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

It is a bit ironic. In buying the 800s i bought clubs that were better than i deserved. I thought i wouldn't need to upgrade for a while and could sink future $ into lessons.

That irony occurs frequently - I've wanted to stop spending money on clubs for the last 4 years. Thought I'd buy a driver every 2 years, replace my high lofted wedges every 2 years, and Irons every 5-6 years. Putter stays forever, as do fairways and low loft hybrids, as I've found fairways and low lofted hybrids the most difficult to fit.

My recent story (there are many other horror stories about clubs - I could write a book):

I listened to my club maker about Taylormade and went with his advice - uh, no, the RBZ Lines and R1 are not for Regular Joes with 90 SS. Now the RBZ Driver is for a regular Joe. But being a Regular Joe, I would look at Adams Tight Lies 2013 Fairways or Bobby Jones Woods and Hybrids. Both are gems for regular guys. Callaway XHots are great for regular Joes if shaft lengths are cut by an inch. Admittedly, I haven't tried Nike, Cobra, etc. But I was looking for more of a shallow face fairway and hybrid that are not large with an easy to hit shaft in a traditional shaft length.

I'm almost through with the club search, and I have taken lessons, in fact, from mvmac, iacas, and Dana Dahlquist, and all are top notch. I have learned much in the last 6 months. Books and watching video are not enough - you need a guy.

Thanks for your responses Mr. Desmond . Just one more question. Since i like my clubs and have no problems other than jarring - are there other options? Absorbent grips, special gloves etc?

Thanks for your responses Mr. Desmond . Just one more question. Since i like my clubs and have no problems other than jarring - are there other options? Absorbent grips, special gloves etc?

Pro soft inserts are a short term option along w shock absorption grips- try Lamkin. Another option is Nippon NS Pro 95 steel shafts- in the past they have helped with my issues. But you will need a good club maker to add a little bit of weight to the tip to help with the swing weight of the club

Okay, see this ... over 10 years, I've heard a lot of good things about pro-soft inserts.

http://www.prosoftinserts.com

Try Lamkin Performance Plus grips - less taper so more absorption, and the grip is made to reduce vibration - also, measure your hand if you need an extra wrap, do it - another layer of protection.

http://www.lamkingrips.com/?r=Performance-Plus-3GEN-Standard

I'll give those a go. I'm gripping the clubs less tightly now. So perhaps this could save an expensive upgrade. On a positive note. My wife was out shopping and just bought me an early birthday present she found on special. A Titleist 910d2 (10.5), 910f(15) and 910h(21). I really don't deserve these but how can i resist such a lovely gift. (Though they all have different shafts types-all regular flex but ilima kalil and bassara ). Best of all. She is interested in learning to play also. You are all very kind. Hopefully i can contribute meaningfully one day

I'll give those a go. I'm gripping the clubs less tightly now. So perhaps this could save an expensive upgrade.

On a positive note. My wife was out shopping and just bought me an early birthday present she found on special. A Titleist 910d2 (10.5), 910f(15) and 910h(21).

I really don't deserve these but how can i resist such a lovely gift. (Though they all have different shafts types-all regular flex but ilima kalil and bassara ).

Best of all. She is interested in learning to play also.

You are all very kind. Hopefully i can contribute meaningfully one day

I actually knew a club fitter that put pro soft inserts in a putter and a Nippon shaft to make a soft putter head even softer -- the feel was so numbing, I didn't like it and laughed. It was over, over-done. :-O

As to keeping a grip - it should not be a death grip but it should be firm.

To conclude, with an iron you are smashing/gliding a piece of steel through the turf. You need to cancel out those vibrations running up the shaft - I think the inserts and grip will help a lot. Good luck.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Mr.D. You helped me a lot.

That's why we're here ... to help each other

(a thumbs up or two doesn't hurt either - see below right)

• Upvote 1

I tried to go graphite this year due to hand pain after I played a round. Just could not get used to it, so I bought a set of Mizuno 825's and put the pro soft inserts in them. Absolutely live them and the pain is gone. It is worth at least trying them out.
  • Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 3822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!