IGNORED

Do you remember all the shots in your round? I have a tendency to only remember the long game.

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When you replay your round, postmortem it immediately after or later, do you remember all your shots? For some reason, I more easily forget the putts, which way they broke, etc... But off the tee and approach shots, I clearly remember those, no problems. The only putts I remember are the ones that I got mad at myself for missing. I wonder if it's psychosomatic? When I get to a point where I am somewhat satisfied with my long game, I'll focus more on the short game.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I usually remember them all.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I usually remember them all, even from previous years.

My fiancee thinks I'm crazy and she can't understand how I can forget things but I can remember every shot I've pretty much ever taken on most courses.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I can remember them all for a few days and after that only the really good or really bad. I think it's more important to learn from your overall game though, like how many times you got up and down and GIR's etc.

I can remember specific holes when the shot meant something to me. Like number 18 at Brook side in Canton, Ohio. Needed an birdie to break 80 on an old Donald Ross course. I hit a drive in the fairway, pulled a 6 iron and put it to 20 feet above the hole. Then I 3 putted for par :p

Another one was one of the best rounds of my life. Driver to the left side of the fairway, pitching wedge to 10 feet, knocked in the birdie putt for a 1 over 73.

Usually I can remember recent rounds for a few weeks. Mostly its just memorable holes that hold some emotional significance to me.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Many players can remember every shot and score of the entire foursome in the entire round.

On the other hand, many players can not remember how many shots they make on just a single hole..........

One of the most important things I try to remember, is watching ever players putt on the green.

When you play the same course on a repetitive basis, this will come in handy as you will learn the characteristics

of the greens, knowing which putts roll in which directions.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I remember all the good shots whether they be full swings, sweet little pitches or in-all-the-way putts. I replay them in my head over and over while waiting for my next opportunity to play. For the bad shots I perform an exorcism and bury the remains deep in the forest where they will never see the light of day again.

Good shot memories build confidence and let you swing freely.

Bad shot memories kill confidence and create doubt.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I don't recall them all but I pick a few good and bad ones and think about the result and what caused that result.  What did I do wrong or right, what can be done next time to have more good ones, and minimize the things that went wrong?  For intance the last time I played I pull hooked two shots badly off the first tee. It is generally my "big miss"  I thought about it on the next tee and about what I did wrong, comitted to the change, and did not miss another shot like that the rest of the day. I think you do need to look at the bad shots, don't worry about the result, just think about what caused it and then focus in on improving the cause.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I don't recall them all but I pick a few good and bad ones and think about the result and what caused that result.  What did I do wrong or right, what can be done next time to have more good ones, and minimize the things that went wrong?  For intance the last time I played I pull hooked two shots badly off the first tee. It is generally my "big miss"  I thought about it on the next tee and about what I did wrong, comitted to the change, and did not miss another shot like that the rest of the day. I think you do need to look at the bad shots, don't worry about the result, just think about what caused it and then focus in on improving the cause.

I get what you mean but...

for myself I find it's better to ignore a bad result and just do it right next time. Clearly I did something wrong, hence the bad result, but trying to figure out what it was, particularly when I may not commit the same error on my next shot seems counter-productive. Perhaps if a pattern emerges over a series of shots but not for an occasional miss. This is more about in-round, obviously you want to work on your "miss" and your bad tendencies and priority piece at the range but the is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

Manuel De La Torres once wrote, "Do you know what you are trying to do? Does it work when you do it?", if the answers are yes, keep doing it.

I agree that it's good to have an awareness of what your misses are that cost you strokes so you know what to work on, I just avoid remembering them in great detail as that can get in your head. I'm aware that I have a tendency to push my shots when I miss but I try to keep it an awareness as opposed to a vivid memory, if that makes sense.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I agree that it's good to have an awareness of what your misses are that cost you strokes so you know what to work on, I just avoid remembering them in great detail as that can get in your head. I'm aware that I have a tendency to push my shots when I miss but I try to keep it an awareness as opposed to a vivid memory, if that makes sense.

Makes sense.  We are all so different in how we need to approach things.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I get what you mean but...

for myself I find it's better to ignore a bad result and just do it right next time. Clearly I did something wrong, hence the bad result, but trying to figure out what it was, particularly when I may not commit the same error on my next shot seems counter-productive. Perhaps if a pattern emerges over a series of shots but not for an occasional miss. This is more about in-round, obviously you want to work on your "miss" and your bad tendencies and priority piece at the range but the is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

Manuel De La Torres once wrote, "Do you know what you are trying to do? Does it work when you do it?", if the answers are yes, keep doing it.

Trying to forget is definitely one way to avoid the bad thoughts.  I think the better approach is to detach yourself from past results.  Sort of like remembering without judging yourself for them and without thinking that its connected the current shot.  Then you can remember and use that information, without the "bad thoughts" getting in the way.

Then again I heard a story that Jack once said he never missed a put with the match on the line.  Of course he did, but he didn't remember it.  Probably purposefully.  So you have Jack in your corner.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

As soon as I get home, I review the scorecard again for what I did wrong .   I remember all my bad shots and regurgitate and make a note on which area to work on .   If I had a bad putting round, I will practice putting more, etc..   E.g, yesterday, after a poor driving round on Wed, I went to range and focused on hitting good drives.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I remember all of the shots from the last three or four rounds, and sometimes more than that, if I replay the round in my mind. My wife lost her 3 hybrid on the course last week and couldn't even remember the last hole she used it on. I can't relate to that at all.

^^^This. Thinking back a few years ago with some of the rounds I've played (especially in tournaments) I only distinctly remember the good shots or even good holes. I don't necessarily avoid remembering bad shots, but I guess I focus more on remember the good shots. I remember reading an article on GD within the last couple of years about a journalist asking Jack about a bad shot he hit in a tournament during his prime and Jack says he can't remember any of that. If you ask him about hole 16 at August in 1986, he will probably tell you everything in great detail down to how hard the win was blowing, how far his son was standing, etc. I sort of do the same thing.

Also, rather than trying to figure out what you did wrong on a bad shot, why not just try to remember what you did right on a good shot? I tend to think too much if I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong on a bad shot and I possibly implement bad swing thoughts mid round on trying to fix it.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Also, rather than trying to figure out what you did wrong on a bad shot, why not just try to remember what you did right on a good shot? I tend to think too much if I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong on a bad shot and I possibly implement bad swing thoughts mid round on trying to fix it.

Hmmm.   It's a concept that I need to think of adopting.    It's so obvious but like any typical male (subjective observation), I am intent on fixing what is broken rather than keeping what I do well.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

When I have a good round and I keep my focus, I can remember every shot, but it seems that when I lose that focus I cannot recall anything. For example, last week I booked my tee time for 9:03, when we arrived I went in to the pro shop and the girl behind the counter told me that we couldn't go out because the ladies league were going to make the turn, I said, why did you book me in then?

After a lot of discussion, the manager said we could go out on the back nine and just fall in behind the ladies that were just going through as there was a gap opened between them and the group behind.

I went five over through the first three holes, and finished that nine with a 44, we got to the front nine and all the ladies league had finished and cleared out. the guy on the cart with me said to just hit the reset button in my head and my focus will come back. I birdied the 1st, pared the 2nd, birdied the 3rd...... and shot even par 36 on the front for a gross 80. Now I can remember every shot and putt for that nine, but not a thing about the back nine.

Driver: Taylormade R9
3 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
5 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
7 Wood: Cobra S 9-1

Irons: Taylormade r7 Custom Fit (SW-4)

Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza Spyder

Balls: Titleist Pro V1x

I think that you remember the parts of the game you thoroughly understand, I don't understand putting yet, so I can't remember my putts except the long ones that went in, mostly by chance. I remember the well struck iron shots because I love watching them, the bad ones that I hit right for reasons I don't understand as of yet, are just a blur. I think your clue is this sentence:

" When I get to a point where I am somewhat satisfied with my long game, I'll focus more on the short game. "

Note: This thread is 3806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!